Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Northampton v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 30729 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #330 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 11:50:04 »

Surely thats why we employ a data/performance analyst?

He should be producing these reports for Garner/staff so they can work on these areas.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 11:55:00 »

as long as we don't become a Luke Williams type team, of which there are currently some parallels.

That nearly sucked the STFC life out of me.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 12:17:58 »

I'm sure the Club will have the detailed 'heat maps' to show where the majority of passing and ball-winning/losing takes place. I haven't located that level of detail yet but there are some interesting numbers on these two sites.

https://www.fotmob.com/leagues/109/stats/season/16393/teams/accurate_pass_team/league-2

https://fbref.com/en/comps/16/League-Two-Stats

We might create more good scoring chances if we crossed the ball more often!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 12:28:38 »

Having the data is one thing.
Perceiving that there is actually a problem and rectifying it is a completely different thing.
It might just be Garner keeping up appearances but what he says in the media certainly implies that he sees no issue with our current tactics / style of play.

If Garner truly, truly, honestly, definitely, definitively believes that - he’s not going to take us very far.

Football fans opinions are like arseholes as the saying goes but if we all have the same one and Garner doesn’t maybe his is the odd one out.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #334 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 12:29:43 »

I think the reason i get a bit defensive about it all is that there seems to be a huge lack of perspective at the moment regarding our team.

To give you an idea Odimayo has played more games than 9 of the payers involved yesterday combined. We can't expect these players to be street wise and savvy after just 8 league games. Added to that that a few have been away on international we still have not had time to get a consistent team yet but we are still creating chances

I just don't get the arguments either at times. Yesterday for example i am seeing we are toothless and not creating chances yet Tyreece Simpson is getting pelters for missing sitters. We created chances galore yesterday against a team that has not conceded more than 1 goal a game  
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 12:30:00 »

I would say that more than 50% of our total possession is in our defensive 3rd, probably nearer 75% in our own half.
Gotta say I’m getting fed up of the club on Twitter banging on about our players being top of the pass completion %’s or banging on about the number of passes Conroy has made. I may be in the minority but it really isn’t a good thing and actually highlights the problem we have, the whole club seems obsessed with possession and passing stats. Having a centre back that has played more passes than any other player in the league jus shows we spend too much time fucking around at the back. Port Vale was the tipping point for me, 1-0 down with 1 minute to half time and rather than push for an equaliser we wasted the entire minute passing it along the backline, I just don’t understand it. Garner really needs to find a balance.

I do feel at home especially that our ‘style’ is sucking the life out of the crowd and the atmosphere is suffering, the club should be bouncing but almost without fail we don’t play in the first half and the atmosphere just dies off as people basically get bored.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 12:33:32 »

I'm sure the Club will have the detailed 'heat maps' to show where the majority of passing and ball-winning/losing takes place. I haven't located that level of detail yet but there are some interesting numbers on these two sites.

https://www.fotmob.com/leagues/109/stats/season/16393/teams/accurate_pass_team/league-2

https://fbref.com/en/comps/16/League-Two-Stats

We might create more good scoring chances if we crossed the ball more often!

Is it a coincidence that the top 4 teams to have ‘won possession in the final third’ have all played us....
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 12:36:59 »

Gotta say I’m getting fed up of the club on Twitter banging on about our players being top of the pass completion %’s or banging on about the number of passes Conroy has made. I may be in the minority but it really isn’t a good thing and actually highlights the problem we have, the whole club seems obsessed with possession and passing stats. Having a centre back that has played more passes than any other player in the league jus shows we spend too much time fucking around at the back. Port Vale was the tipping point for me, 1-0 down with 1 minute to half time and rather than push for an equaliser we wasted the entire minute passing it along the backline, I just don’t understand it. Garner really needs to find a balance.

I do feel at home especially that our ‘style’ is sucking the life out of the crowd and the atmosphere is suffering, the club should be bouncing but almost without fail we don’t play in the first half and the atmosphere just dies off as people basically get bored.

It is over kill.
The are nice feathers in the cap to have after points, wins, goals for & goals against.

Every man and his dog would rather Conroy has less passes and we had more points.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 12:47:13 »

I just don't get the arguments either at times. Yesterday for example i am seeing we are toothless and not creating chances      
I made one such comment at half time. and I stand by that 100% .

the second half was better, though we'll have to disagree about the number of actual chances we created. guess it depends if you see see a 'nearly but crowded out' as a chance.

fans disagreeing about football is as it should be
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 12:58:12 »

Garnerball is the polar opposite of hoofball. Yet both are boring to watch. We don’t get enough crosses in - maybe because the players know that, Simpson apart, there’s very little point in doing so. Again, I feel it is also because they don’t want to relinquish precious possession.

I’d like to know what Garner’s brief is.
STFC no2 fan

« Reply #340 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 12:59:16 »

Just thankful we have a club to support as thought we were ‘doing a Bury’ mid-Summer. The fact we were 7mins away from beating a decent L2 side is more than enough for me, just want to survive this season and build for next year. Bit harsh to be judging a manager in September who had no pre-season and cobbled together a side in three weeks.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 13:14:41 »

We created chances galore yesterday against a team that has not conceded more than 1 goal a game 
No we didn't. Not in the game I was watching.

I’d like to know what Garner’s brief is.
Quite. I'd love to know as well.

Just thankful we have a club to support as thought we were ‘doing a Bury’ mid-Summer. The fact we were 7mins away from beating a decent L2 side is more than enough for me, just want to survive this season and build for next year. Bit harsh to be judging a manager in September who had no pre-season and cobbled together a side in three weeks.
This was exactly my point earlier. We move on, things change. The points you make don't deflect the criticism the team gets now. Survival? We're better than that...come on. No pre-season, cobbled together...that's all history now....we're 10 games in...those things can't continue to be a factor throughout the season. Questioning a manager who refuses to address our most glaring deficiency game after game is totally reasonable and by no means harsh.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 13:18:48 »

And another thing...players tweeting "We were unlucky not to win"...bollocks...think that particular one came from KKH...I'd say a draw was a reasonable result and Northampton might say they were unlucky not to win. If anyone looked more likely winners it was them and I really hope our players don't think that level of performance was good enough for 3 points. And I really hope that Garner isn't reinforcing the belief that it is.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 13:22:52 »

Gotta say I’m getting fed up of the club on Twitter banging on about our players being top of the pass completion %’s or banging on about the number of passes Conroy has made.
Agreed. In addition to that, I find the general self-congratulatory 'aren't we wonderful' Club tweets to be a bit much at times. I know....I know they're trying their best and you can't please all the people all the time and some people are never happy etc...but still, I think it's a fair point...
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 13:25:51 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Sunday, September 19, 2021, 13:32:46 »

Quote from: The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey
. We don’t get enough crosses in - maybe because the players know that, Simpson apart, there’s very little point in doing so. .

to be fair, for a big man Simpson is bloody hopeless in the air.

his strength is strength. he's bloody good at that
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: