Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Northampton v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 30728 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Saturday, September 18, 2021, 15:42:20 »

I think they allowed an overflow from fans that didn’t want to be behind the goal.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Saturday, September 18, 2021, 16:07:06 »

Agree that second half performances are tending to be a lot better than the first. Simpson took his goal well but missed 2 other brilliant chances. Draw probably fair they had a few chances too. We’re definitely short to go up squad wise, but from where we were at, it’s some achievement. Top half at January and let’s see if we can build the squad more…
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Saturday, September 18, 2021, 16:10:28 »

Those who expect a win every week will have been disappointed. A draw seems like a decent outcome.  Distracted this weekend by T20 finals day

Nothing to see here
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Saturday, September 18, 2021, 16:11:43 »

Good away point. Better second half, probably a fair result overall.

I don't know what it takes to cut out the sloppy passing but we need to do that, whatever it is.

And as much as I appreciate improving in the second half, it would be alright if we played OK in the 1st half as well. Hopefully the general will help us control games better again.

PL standard players. You might get away with Championship players.

I’m sorry, I don’t wish to appear rude but we’re in div two. We have mainly div two players. For us old ‘un’s that is league four. I have long thought that with the saturation of top class football at the touch of a handset that the expectations of the average fan are placed way higher than the reality of their home town club, who largely sit outside the top tier of football.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 18, 2021, 16:18:53 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Saturday, September 18, 2021, 16:25:48 »

A case of what could have been today. You’d have bet Simpson would take one of the two 1-on1s that he had. More purpose second half was a positive. But a bench full of midfielders. Literally not one striker or defender… that tells you we have an imbalanced squad. Plymouth got Agard, and Northampton got Koiki as free agents.  Neither are world beaters, but both players that would improve our squad. We need Lyden and Grant.
Flashheart

« Reply #275 on: Saturday, September 18, 2021, 16:26:54 »

Non-league players can pass a ball to their teammate a few metres away. They do it all the time, and most of our opponents this season have also been able to pass to their teammates without fucking up as often as we do. Blaming it on the players' ability is demonstrably false. Blaming it on "we're in league 2" is demonstrably bollocks. These are professional footballers.

Theres' something else behind it. Tactics? Training? Psychology? Not clicking yet? I don't know... but these players clearly have the ability to pass a ball to a teammate in space and when not under pressure. Alas...

And I'm not trying to have a go at Garner. I find it baffling that some people are judging him negatively considering the handicap he started with, and our league position.

But I don't buy that it's down to "league 2 players". Especially considering some of ours have played higher.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Saturday, September 18, 2021, 16:31:36 »

Simpson, eh?

Woo-hoo!

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Saturday, September 18, 2021, 16:33:09 »

Non-league players can pass a ball to their teammate a few metres away. They do it all the time, and most of our opponents this season have also been able to pass to their teammates without fucking up as often as we do. Blaming it on the players' ability is demonstrably false. Blaming it on "we're in league 2" is demonstrably bollocks. These are professional footballers.

Theres' something else behind it. Tactics? Training? Psychology? Not clicking yet? I don't know... but these players clearly have the ability to pass a ball to a teammate in space and when not under pressure. Alas...

And I'm not trying to have a go at Garner. I find it baffling that some people are judging him negatively considering the handicap he started with, and our league position.

But I don't buy that it's down to "league 2 players". Especially considering some of ours have played higher.

Plying their trade in league two, for a reason.
Flashheart

« Reply #278 on: Saturday, September 18, 2021, 16:37:54 »

Plying their trade in league two, for a reason.

Yet, most of the other players playing for other teams in L2 "for a reason", are able to make simple passes?

It's clearly bollocks. We see L2 players making simple passes all the time so to claim they can't do it when we see them actually do the thing you claim they can't do makes no sense.

And I know all players will make the odd mishap, but that's not what's happening here.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #279 on: Saturday, September 18, 2021, 16:43:21 »

30 out  Too Cool

in front of 5,845 fans with 946 (officially) Swindon fans there.
19 out Wink

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
REDBUCK

« Reply #280 on: Saturday, September 18, 2021, 16:47:37 »

It's all about the concentration
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Saturday, September 18, 2021, 16:51:41 »

The two idiots who threw the bottles onto the pitch just fuck off.
Stewards today were excellent.

Two contrasting styles, fair result and a decent game.
Could have gone either way.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Saturday, September 18, 2021, 16:52:36 »

I don’t judge him negatively as such but because he has stated emphatically he will not deviate from the style, even though it is becoming apparent we need some physicality around the pitch. I can’t see how the players will get any better at executing Garner’s style no matter how many games they play.

It works for, say, Man City because their players, almost to a man, are superior to their opponents. Ours are not. They are the same standard but are being asked to play in a supposed superior style.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Saturday, September 18, 2021, 16:52:59 »

Listen FH. We’re doing great. It’s not great at times but we’re doing great all things considered. Want passes that are 90% accurate that are more than five metres away from their teammate? Then you’ll have to wait until we’re in the championship, or we can afford to get players who can.

I said a while ago that we could be the 1-0 to the Arsenal this season because we don’t have the cash to go out and buy a forward line who can emulate Doyle & Yates and a midfield who can supply the guns. I still think that is the case. I also said that we’re in a way dipping our toes into the water with the assembled squad until our finances have a more stable and firmer footing until the January transfer window. A view I’ve not changed. If we are there or there a bouts at the end of the festive period then the shackles on the bank account will be unleashed. Lest we forget, Digger has stated that he will NOT be taking any cash from the club. Can you imagine how much extra bunce will be available to BG & BC to bolster the team in the 2nd half of the season? There are from what I have seen to be enough positives from all the home games and Cambs (A) to suggest the the footings and first course of bricks are strong enough to keep us up within a reasonable lick of the top pack once the second half of the season commences. Until then there will be games we lose but shouldn’t, games we win but shouldn’t games we draw and feel lucky either way.

So if you pardon my gib, we’re fucking doing ok. Could be better? Yes, because we’re STFC and deserve more. Could be worse? Yes, because we deserve better. Is the future bright? HELL YES, the future is bright and not fucking Orange, it is RED.

I enjoy your posts and mainly others in spite of the shit dished out my way. I take a wider view that in spite of our opinions and differences we all support the same club with the same wishes and aspirations. It is good so far considering where we were.

Enjoy your evening everyone and the weekend. Today was an immense result, really, it was. At the EOTS you’ll look at the results and I think point a finger at this game and say ‘there, that was when it all clicked ‘ with a changed team, not for the first time and not necessarily the strongest line up, it worked against a very stingy team.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 18, 2021, 16:58:48 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #284 on: Saturday, September 18, 2021, 16:53:45 »

It's all about the concentration

Something like that I reckon. Not concentrating enough, or maybe concentrating too much?

I dunno. Again, I'm not having a go at Garner - just passing on an observation - but I reckon this kind of stuff is down to man management or training or some other gubbins rather than the physical attributes of the players.

And I still think it's too soon to expect us to click yet, so some of these criticisms (mine included) are a tad premature methinks.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 18, 2021, 16:56:28 by Flashheart » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: