Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Port Vale pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 22771 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 18:27:46 »

That’s ridiculous. The football Wellens got us playing was far superior to what we’ve witnessed so far. Just because we’ve been brought back from the brink doesn’t mean Garner should get carte blanche. He’s been given a free rein over recruitment and style and, personally, it’s watching behind the sofa stuff. Waiting for the cock ups. Just like Luke Williams.

Others may like it but it’s just not for me.

Let’s bring Wellens back - doing great a job at Doncaster!

It’s still early days to be getting anything other than mildly annoyed with our style of play.
However, I fully understand concern / apathy growing if it continues to be our ONLY style of play.

We lack a plan b. We need one - I’d go as far as to say all our league games have proved this point.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 18:33:33 »

I’ve said before, I don’t give a shit what Wellens had done/is doing at other clubs. At Swindon it was great to watch.

Quite rightly, the club has had a honeymoon period. That won’t, and shouldn’t, last forever.
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 18:36:09 »

We are 7th in the league? You’re talking like we are bottom. Jesus Christ.
Exactly this! As fans we will always conduct a post mortem after the game, it's what we do. But we are much better off position-wise so far than most predicted and these kind of performances were always going to be expected after the lack of preseason followed by
 high load training once Garner walked in to make up for lost time.

RE the slow tempo, this will probably speed up as our chemistry improves and the team has gelled further.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 18:36:33 »

Garner was appointed because this was the style of play and football Clem wanted at the club - so if it wasn’t him it would only be someone else playing a similar way.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 18:40:53 »

There’s a real danger of the present feelgood factor premium being wasted.

I’m generally an optimistic guy, but I genuinely believe this style will get us nowhere.

Others will no doubt disagree. That’s fine. I’m just stating it as I see it.

Hopefully I’m wrong and we become a lower League Barcelona.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 19:05:58 »

I agree with you Aud.

And like you I hope I'm proven very wrong
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 19:06:53 »

Less downbeat as still very early days with a squad that hasn’t been together for that long.
I actually get what we are trying to do and definitely believe we will get it right.
Port vale second half were there for the taking but we failed to convert that one chance.
Once we started to turn the ball quicker we looked much better.
Confidence in Garner as he will see the shortcomings. Pity the Ref and officials missed the blatant red card, the off ball elbow on Crithlow but the way it goes.
Credit to Vale though.
Shithousery excecuted to plan. First half looked decent and we were second best.
Another excellent crowd and only positives from me. Getting home by 6pm next Saturday will make a change.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 19:09:35 »

Garner was appointed because this was the style of play and football Clem wanted at the club - so if it wasn’t him it would only be someone else playing a similar way.

Garner was appointed because he is excellent coaching young players.
In addition we don’t have a massive budget and a debt that needs reducing.
Garner was in place 4 weeks before the official announcement by the way.
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 19:14:17 »

Less downbeat as still very early days with a squad that hasn’t been together for that long.
I actually get what we are trying to do and definitely believe we will get it right.
Port vale second half were there for the taking but we failed to convert that one chance.
Once we started to turn the ball quicker we looked much better.
Confidence in Garner as he will see the shortcomings. Pity the Ref and officials missed the blatant red card, the off ball elbow on Crithlow but the way it goes.
Credit to Vale though.
Shithousery excecuted to plan. First half looked decent and we were second best.
Another excellent crowd and only positives from me. Getting home by 6pm next Saturday will make a change.

Vale were there in the second half for the taking but when we failed to score a second in the 15 minute spell when we were playing well, we reverted to type and started going sideways backwards and pissing about with the ball. Which unfortunately were not good enough at.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 19:14:38 »

There’s a real danger of the present feelgood factor premium being wasted.

I’m generally an optimistic guy, but I genuinely believe this style will get us nowhere.

Others will no doubt disagree. That’s fine. I’m just stating it as I see it.

Hopefully I’m wrong and we become a lower League Barcelona.

I am OK with the style of play, not the execution.  The high press could have been countered by bringing on Odimayo and switching to 5:3:2.  Both fullbacks could have been more involved.  Grant was sorely missed, along with Payne and Williams playing too much in a similar manner.  It's not as if Wellens or Di Canio got it right at the start, either.  Williams' problem was that Power replaced good players with inferior players.  Garner is correct in analyzing the game with his coaches ahead of dealing with the players, as the coaching staff got it wrong, unlike the opposition.  Only once since Jonny Williams has arrived has he not provided a great cross to nobody (H., Mansfield).  Superior skill is being wasted.  
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 19:16:59 »

Just got home. Frustrating game. The first half was a non event but we got better in the second. However, at times you just have to clear it. The second goal was a giveaway. Just boot it! I love watching football played on the ground and at speed but we are a nearly team at the moment so a plan b tweak is essential. Loved our goal and think Simpson will be a big favourite. Would be great to see a formation that could give him more support. I would have left Gladders on and was surprised Williams started. Think he may have wreaked havoc in the last 30 minutes. However, happy to watch a team and be able to offer an opinion. Thought that might have gone a few months ago. That said, today showed deficiencies that need to be worked on with improvement evident as games go. Do worry that on a heavy pitch we will leak soft goals. Good start to the season overall so happy but I hope the manager can adjust. Have a good evening all.

Parasitic freeloading season ticket holder scum
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 19:23:31 »

I thought PV were effective at what they did - get long throws and other set pieces in the box. They were physically bigger and stronger than us which creates problems.
I prefer a back 3 - it helps us compete in the air against this type of team, and I thought Conroy and Critchlow looked more comfortable in that system than today.
We could have drawn today - we had chances we didn’t take and ought to have prevented their second goal.
I also think the wind affected today’s game - the flag behind the Town End was fluttering strongly, as were the trees behind the DRS, and in the first half several of Woollacott’s kicks were held up in the wind (he struggled to reach half way a couple of times, whereas second half a number were over hit.
I think we will get the style right, I can see what they are trying to do, and whilst I won’t talk about last season (JS and LP) but I found Flitcroft’s brutalist hoof ball absolutely dreadful  to watch and would hate a return to that.
I thought Simpson and Reed were our best players today, we missed Grant who would have played PV at their own game.
Gilbert looks promising.
Finally, the referee was atrocious- and their players were more streetwise in taking advantage of that incompetence.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 19:34:56 »

We are 7th in the league? You’re talking like we are bottom. Jesus Christ.
Wellens last year:  P7 W2 D0 L5 F9 A13 Pts  6   21st place
Garner this year:   P7 W3 D2 L2 F8 A6   Pts 13   7th place
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 19:50:55 »

Wellens last year:  P7 W2 D0 L5 F9 A13 Pts  6   21st place
Garner this year:   P7 W3 D2 L2 F8 A6   Pts 11   7th place

Wellens title* season - P7 W4 D2 L1 F14 A8 Pts 14   4th Place

So we are 3 points and 3 positions worse off than someone who had a full pre season…..
Chippyred

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 20:04:43 »

Really want Garner to succeed thou do worry about him being luke williams mk2.  Playing from the back going nowhere. Very slow tempo and feels our play has no aim to me at times.  Balance feels wrong to me and feel it was a mistake not getting a decent left back in.  Ellis isnt a left back, awful crosser. And Hunt is a right back.

Simpson often isolated and we lack pace to support him.  Would like to see us look to get it wide and get more crosses in. Not after long ball football at all, but certainly want a tempo  to our play.

A work in progress, and alot of work needed.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: