Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stevenage v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 41243 times)
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #525 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 15:28:55 »

A couple of seasons ago Stevenage stewards made female Grimsby fans strip down in public before they would admit them.

‘Female football fans were left “shocked and stunned” when they were made to show their bras during security searches at Stevenage football club, a supporters’ group has said.

At least 10 Grimsby Town supporters had their bras checked by stewards before the League Two sides met on Saturday, according to the Mariners Trust.

A 70-year-old woman was among those left “mortified” by the searches outside Stevenage FC’s Lamex Stadium, the Guardian understands.

The English Football League said on Monday it was looking into the allegations. A spokesman for Stevenage FC said it was conducting an investigation.

In a letter sent by the Mariners Trust to Stevenage FC, the Grimsby Town fan group said female supporters were asked to lift up their tops to show their bras to female stewards in view of other supporters, including men and male stewards.

The group said the “gross invasion of privacy” went further when some female stewards asked to feel supporters’ bras if they confirmed that they were underwired. “This act would effectively constitute a sexual assault and these types of searches are unlawful,” the group said in its letter.

A spokesman for Hertfordshire police, which polices the Lamex Stadium, said it was looking into the allegations.

Paul Savage, the vice-chair of the Mariners Trust, was at the game on Saturday. He said fans were left “shocked and stunned” by the experience.

He said: “The police were actually in view of what happened. They were stood within 15 yards so if they didn’t see it I would be shocked.

“We are aware of at least 10 people who were asked to show their bras and all of them were shocked and stunned. It’s the horror of being asked to do something that bad, they went in and said to their friends and partners: ‘What just happened?’”

Savage said 10 supporters had contacted the Mariners Trust directly to say they were subjected to the searches, but more may have complained directly to Stevenage FC or Hertfordshire police.

He added: “What we can’t understand as football supporters is why Stevenage football club have told their stewards to do this. It’s not a policing issue, it’s a football club issue – they’ve told their stewards to check people’s bras and we can only assume they’ve been given some intelligence to do that. You don’t have it at airports, so why would you have it at a football club?

“Football fans get a bad press. There was no trouble, there were no arrests, nobody was chucked out of the ground. There was just a lot of bewildered and bemused and upset people.

“It wasn’t really until the game had finished and we all left when we thought ‘what on earth has just happened?’ and it all started to sink in.”

The Mariners Trust letter also claims Stevenage FC stewards carried out full-body searches on children as young as five, leaving at least one minor “visibly upset”, and confiscated safe objects including hand sanitiser from fans.

The group also complained that a female steward was posted inside the away fans’ men’s toilets throughout the game, which they said raised “significant safeguarding issues” regarding young children using the facilities.

In a statement, Stevenage FC’s safety officer, Steve Reed, said the stewarding on Saturday was “not typical” because they believed high-risk groups would be attending with the potential for antisocial behaviour.

Reed said the club implemented a “100% compliant” search regime due to a belief that prohibited items may be smuggled into the stadium by women and younger supporters.

He added: “Stewards used for this role in the away section of the stadium were provided by a reputable agency and are qualified to act as such. Searches conducted are recorded on CCTV and on this occasion, were in the presence of deployed police officers.

“No incidents were recorded on the day of any inappropriate behaviour towards female supporters or young spectators. Had such incidents been either reported or flagged up, the issues would have been dealt with immediately.

“The club takes these allegations seriously and will both study the CCTV footage and speak to the relevant parties to ensure that no infringements of accepted procedures took place.”

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
JanAirplaneMan

« Reply #526 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 15:33:45 »

Hi All
TrustSTFC and Official Supporters Club joint Press release based on the events of the Stevenage game. https://truststfc.tv/joint-statement-from-truststfc-and-official-supporters-club-on-recent-events-at-stevenage/

Thanks
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #527 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 15:37:56 »

A couple of seasons ago Stevenage stewards made female Grimsby fans strip down in public before they would admit them.

‘Female football fans were left “shocked and stunned” when they were made to show their bras during security searches at Stevenage football club, a supporters’ group has said.

At least 10 Grimsby Town supporters had their bras checked by stewards before the League Two sides met on Saturday, according to the Mariners Trust.

A 70-year-old woman was among those left “mortified” by the searches outside Stevenage FC’s Lamex Stadium, the Guardian understands.

The English Football League said on Monday it was looking into the allegations. A spokesman for Stevenage FC said it was conducting an investigation.

In a letter sent by the Mariners Trust to Stevenage FC, the Grimsby Town fan group said female supporters were asked to lift up their tops to show their bras to female stewards in view of other supporters, including men and male stewards.

The group said the “gross invasion of privacy” went further when some female stewards asked to feel supporters’ bras if they confirmed that they were underwired. “This act would effectively constitute a sexual assault and these types of searches are unlawful,” the group said in its letter.

A spokesman for Hertfordshire police, which polices the Lamex Stadium, said it was looking into the allegations.

Paul Savage, the vice-chair of the Mariners Trust, was at the game on Saturday. He said fans were left “shocked and stunned” by the experience.

He said: “The police were actually in view of what happened. They were stood within 15 yards so if they didn’t see it I would be shocked.

“We are aware of at least 10 people who were asked to show their bras and all of them were shocked and stunned. It’s the horror of being asked to do something that bad, they went in and said to their friends and partners: ‘What just happened?’”

Savage said 10 supporters had contacted the Mariners Trust directly to say they were subjected to the searches, but more may have complained directly to Stevenage FC or Hertfordshire police.

He added: “What we can’t understand as football supporters is why Stevenage football club have told their stewards to do this. It’s not a policing issue, it’s a football club issue – they’ve told their stewards to check people’s bras and we can only assume they’ve been given some intelligence to do that. You don’t have it at airports, so why would you have it at a football club?

“Football fans get a bad press. There was no trouble, there were no arrests, nobody was chucked out of the ground. There was just a lot of bewildered and bemused and upset people.

“It wasn’t really until the game had finished and we all left when we thought ‘what on earth has just happened?’ and it all started to sink in.”

The Mariners Trust letter also claims Stevenage FC stewards carried out full-body searches on children as young as five, leaving at least one minor “visibly upset”, and confiscated safe objects including hand sanitiser from fans.

The group also complained that a female steward was posted inside the away fans’ men’s toilets throughout the game, which they said raised “significant safeguarding issues” regarding young children using the facilities.

In a statement, Stevenage FC’s safety officer, Steve Reed, said the stewarding on Saturday was “not typical” because they believed high-risk groups would be attending with the potential for antisocial behaviour.

Reed said the club implemented a “100% compliant” search regime due to a belief that prohibited items may be smuggled into the stadium by women and younger supporters.

He added: “Stewards used for this role in the away section of the stadium were provided by a reputable agency and are qualified to act as such. Searches conducted are recorded on CCTV and on this occasion, were in the presence of deployed police officers.

“No incidents were recorded on the day of any inappropriate behaviour towards female supporters or young spectators. Had such incidents been either reported or flagged up, the issues would have been dealt with immediately.

“The club takes these allegations seriously and will both study the CCTV footage and speak to the relevant parties to ensure that no infringements of accepted procedures took place.”

Sounds to me like a bunch of counts just looking for a cheap frill.

JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #528 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 15:46:48 »

I don't feel the need to chip in to cover the damage

Nothing to see here
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #529 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 15:49:39 »

Sorry, but I do.   Isn't that what a forum is for ??,  Or are you just looking to increase your posts ??.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #530 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 15:51:33 »

Hi All
TrustSTFC and Official Supporters Club joint Press release based on the events of the Stevenage game. https://truststfc.tv/joint-statement-from-truststfc-and-official-supporters-club-on-recent-events-at-stevenage/

Thanks
Sorry but that statement is pathetic, full focus on the minority of mindless idiots and largely glossing over the actions of the stewards and just adding more publicity to the matter. You’re meant to be more focused on our supporters so rather than releasing a half baked statement how about wait on the full circumstances to become apparent so at least there is some balance. It’s become apparent from other sets of supporters over the weekend that Stevenage have Stewards that clearly aren’t fit for the job and more focus needs to be put on that.

There seems to constantly be statements for the sake of statements at the moment from all things STFC related!
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #531 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 15:57:32 »

Sorry, but I do.   Isn't that what a forum is for ??,  Or are you just looking to increase your posts ??.

Not sure I follow. I didn't attend the match.  I noted the reference to some form of go fund me whip round. I commented that I will not add to the coffers. Isn't that what the forum is for?

Nothing to see here
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #532 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 15:57:51 »

Why should decent, responsible fans cough up for the actions of a few knuckle draggers?

Stevenage can fuck right off.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #533 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 16:00:53 »

Take the money out of the stewards wages

So, give no fucks
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #534 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 16:00:57 »

That statement works fine in a ‘we do not condone this behaviour’ way, and is necessary for the trust and osc to probably comment on that. They address the apparent stewards behaviour, but it’s shouldn’t take away from the central message I.e. don’t be a dick

The idea of a crowdfund to pay for the repairs and fines is a bit silly

Things get better but they never get good
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #535 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 16:11:09 »

Hi All

Thanks

Frankly appalling one-sided statement from the Supporters Trust. Is this what we should expect from both the Trust and Supporters Clubs, a mouthpiece to the club now?

Really not impressed with any of how this has been handled and before anyone has a pop, I'm not condoning the behaviour of those that reacted!!

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #536 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 16:13:11 »

Not sure I follow. I didn't attend the match.  I noted the reference to some form of go fund me whip round. I commented that I will not add to the coffers. Isn't that what the forum is for?
Sorry mate, didn't read back, and should have done.  Thought you were referring to ' chip In' as in regarding comments,  not funding.  With you 100% they can fuck.off.

swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #537 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 16:16:47 »

Hi All

Thanks
Does that mean that Brovers paid for the seats they ripped out and threw on the pitch at the County Ground a few seasons ago ??.

Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #538 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 16:22:51 »

I was at the match. As others have said, the stewarding left a lot to be desired (and it seems like they have ‘previous’) but it’s like that at plenty of grounds that I’ve been to. That’s no excuse for our knobhead fans to act like knobheads, though. The sentiment in the joint statement is about right and I understand why it has been made but I don’t feel inclined to put my hand in my pocket (again) if they decide to go with the crowd-funding suggestion.
brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #539 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 16:23:22 »

A few seats were damaged and some rubbish and advertising hoardings thrown around. We hardly need a go funding page for that. Surely the club have apologised and can pay for a few seats to be replaced. The fans that caused the damage are still idiots though
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39   Go Up
Print
Jump to: