Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Camping  (Read 6706 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Monday, August 23, 2021, 09:50:43 »

Bagged myself a tent and need to get some camping gear before taking a trip. Already have a gas stove and some gas tins, airbed etc. Just need to get a decent sleeping bag. Any of you happy campers got any recommendations for sites (dog friendly) and additional equipment must haves?

I used to visit Ashurst a lot as a kid and will probably visit there again. Two big pubs withing half a mile help  Smiley
PHIL!!!!
Our Resident Emo Kid

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, August 23, 2021, 10:08:31 »

We tend to camp a few times a year either festivalling or exploring the Cornish coasts etc (We're actually off camping on Wednesday near Mevagissey!)

A decent air mattress, a proper pillow (not one of those blow up things...), camping chairs and fold up table are a must.
Additionally we take a clothes airer for wet gear, which is a godsend when drying out your beach stuff/towel ready for the next day!

Never underestimate just how cold it can get during the night, so prepare for this, either with a decent tog sleeping bag or a few extra layers! Personally I don't suffer from the cold, but know plenty that do who do not prepare for the nights, so just a heads up Smiley

Bassett Bulldogs FC - http://bassettbulldogsfc.co.uk/
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #2 on: Monday, August 23, 2021, 10:09:13 »

The Barge Inn @ Honeystreet Devizes is decent.

Heading here https://swannyscampsite.co.uk/ with my 6 year old lad and some of his school friends + dads for a night during the bank holiday. Should be a laugh. Hopefully get over to the Tank Museum while we're down there.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, August 23, 2021, 10:42:43 »

That Swanny's place looks decent.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, August 23, 2021, 10:59:27 »

If you don't fancy going too far afield (fnaw fnaw) the Swan at Radcot has a campsite and serves good food/beer https://yeoldeswan.co.uk/camping-glamping/

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Crackity Jones

« Reply #5 on: Monday, August 23, 2021, 11:43:00 »

Little roadway outside Woolacombe is good. Two Jays Farm in Norfolk is also good. Pitchup website gives you some good options
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, August 23, 2021, 12:48:31 »

I think we've stayed at the north morte campsite near wollacombe which was nice.  Staying in one near ashbourne in derbyshire this weekend. 

Ill be honest I bloody hate camping, but we go with a big group of mates which makes it tolerable!

Never knowingly overstated.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, August 23, 2021, 14:16:56 »

Little roadway outside Woolacombe is good. Two Jays Farm in Norfolk is also good. Pitchup website gives you some good options

Stunning scenery if you can get up on the hill anywhere near woolacombe

So, give no fucks
cdakev

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, August 23, 2021, 17:53:16 »

Wood Farm Charmouth. In the best of British campsites
Lambo75

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, August 23, 2021, 23:21:26 »

Depends on what you want and who you are going with.

If you have kids, then keeping them amused is key, and so I'd go for something a little larger where they are a) likely to find some new friends b) has sports facilities and possible and enteratainment program & c) swimming pool (s)

for that you pay for it....but sites we like are Dawlish Warren (Lady's Mile & Cofton), Newquay (Tendra)

If it's just adults or older kids then something a bit more like what is suggested is nice.

Essentials for me is a camp bad + air mat (overkill...but off the ground and comfy!),  a decent coolbox to keep the beers cold, and as we always go with electric hookups, an induction hob replacing the gas....saves lots of room and is dead quick.  A nice add on we have is a sun-dome which just makes sitting outside even more pleasurable, and provides a bit of protection from the elements.

Enjoy anyway. it's company and weather that makes it....the equipment just makes its comfier.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2021, 00:04:29 »

You mention all the extra kit, it's making me consider getting a roof box  Yes
Lambo75

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2021, 06:22:38 »

Yeah....just had to upgrade our one of them. Got so much camping stuff now, we needed a bigger one to fit it all in. Next up...a trailer haha
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 07:48:31 »

I've seen those coolers you can get with a 12v plug, so you can plug them into the car. How much Drain do they put on the car battery. Gotta have room for beer milk.
Chunkyhair

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 09:31:05 »

I've got one of those 12v coolers from Lidl, bloody amazing for about 40 quid. Must be less than 10 amps  to run off the ciggie lighter socket, so not a huge drain but I wouldn't leave it too long with out engine running.

And it holds more than enough beer/milk to tide you over until fresh supplies can be found

No one kills a thread like me....
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 10:18:38 »

I was thinking, you could plug it in whilst driving to the campsite and "top" it up now and then. I'd imagine it would stay cool for a few hours even when not plugged in?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: