Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Camping  (Read 6621 times)
Lambo75

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 10:23:05 »

https://www.coleman.eu/uk/p-25996-100qt-xtreme-cooler.aspx

we have this one, a touch on the large side tbh, I think I'd take a smaller one next time......but 6-8 bags of ice in it, cans buried in the ice, stand the food on top of the cans. Ice is still icey after 4/5 days. Perfect for us as we usually go for 4 nights.

a bit pricey unless you can find it on special.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 10:36:32 »

That looks good, would probably see if I could get a smaller version.

I'm about to order a 300 gsm sleeping bag (mummy type). Trouble is I'm around 230 lbs and 48" chest. Would I fit? Or would I look like the mummy out of Scooby Doo?
It says the chest width bit is 80cm 
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 11:04:39 »

At the point where electrical hook up/mini gennys/converters etc come into play...that just isn't camping any more. Sorry, I'm more of a wild camper than a South of France camper  Wink

Something to keep your beers cool? You don't need to shell out for a mini gas fridge or a 12v converter/cooler. A bucket and a nearby stream will be your friend. Fill it up and pop your beers (or milk) in. Obviously for extended cooling, keep the bucket in a shaded spot.

For cooking, I'd suggest the basics and a classic Bleuet Micro is all you need (along with a few pans and mugs etc.) and a box of matches. 

Having said that one of my fave novelty* camping burners/stoves is the BioLite as it does have the ability to charge a device for as long as you keep the fire going (more of a boost than a full charge but good for a bit extra juice) thanks to a USB which is used via the converted biomass. Because it has an integrated fan too, it means it's able to both air dry and burn kindling almost simultaneously, even if collected when wet! The BioLite is a handy (if still pricey) stove with cool features but I am a fan of building my own campfire and the rewards it brings (even if just for the primal satisfaction). BioLite is probably seen as a hipster in the camping stove world and you could just take a couple of power banks if you really want some backup device charge.

I'd say wherever you're going camping though, keep it as simple as you can. A much better experience and applies to everything from the campsite to the kit. Kick your shoes off, reconnect with the earth and you and your kids "might" even learn a few basic survival/backcountry skills along the way! Oh and it goes without saying but leave your camping spot as you found it Smiley

~~~~~

The reason a lot of you get "cold" tends to be more due to air mattresses! The further away from the ground the more air that will cool between yourself and your back especially with air that is "locked" into an air mattress. You genuinely only need to be a couple of inches above ground level and whilst the ground does/can get chilly, a half decent Thermarest pad and/or a couple of camping matts is the way to go; any in the NeoAir range will be fine. A semi decent sleeping bag also but no need for overkill on the tog number (not in summer and not whilst in a tent too), because the Thermarest and camping matts will be doing most of the work in retaining insulation/keeping the ground temp out.

Also vent your tent. Just leave your main inner "mozzy mesh" zipped right up but your outer should be left open a little. More modern tents do tend to have plenty of venting options integrated. Don't be tempted to camp in the lowest part of a site too. Two reasons, if it rains a lot...you'll be where the water runs to. But also, cool air generally drops to the lowest areas so make sure you're pitched somewhere a bit above the lowest ground. If you do get chilly - good to remember "top and bottom"...yep, whack on a hat and another pair of socks Smiley

*I say "novelty" because some elements of it are gimmicky although fun. It's probably more of a stove that is better showcased rather than overly useable in practice. The actual main burning function/s is/are pretty cool and the possibility of near perpetuity in regards fuel (it'll burn any combustible material) are a major plus. If not worrying about space/weight in your pack then worth giving a go!

Btw, the only part of this googled was the name of the camping stove (BioLite). I've literally thousands of hours of camping experience (wild and generic campsite). Also Mwooly on here will probably be able to offer some handy advice too.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 11:36:32 »

Bamboo Grills? 
Lambo75

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 14:33:17 »

absolutely bamboo - but there's a balance here, and being someone who's always gone package holiday and the best hotels I could afford to switch to the wild camping you speak of is a step too far for the wife & I. Home luxuries and familiarity but in a new setting for us for now. Smiley

admiration though for those that do it properly!
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 14:37:00 »

Bamboo Grills? 

Nope, Bear Grylls will never teach you anything useful (unless you somehow need to slip into a recently sliced open grey seal...in the middle of the Peak District).

More a fan of folk like Mountaineer Andy Kirkpatrick, Ray Mears (who genuinely knows his bushcraft shit) and natural navigator Tristan Gooley. All of them not so in your face and none of them have remotely pretended to have been in the real SAS Wink

One of the best books I've read is a pretty old one called Woodcraft & Camping by Bernard...something or other.

Regardless of what "style" of camping you opt for, there are plenty of decades old tips that are still relevant today.

Watch my name get changed to "BambooNoTent" now 

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 14:49:43 »

absolutely bamboo - but there's a balance here, and being someone who's always gone package holiday and the best hotels I could afford to switch to the wild camping you speak of is a step too far for the wife & I. Home luxuries and familiarity but in a new setting for us for now. Smiley

admiration though for those that do it properly!

Sorry Lambo, it wasn't an attempt to piss on people's choices or raise "camping purism" as some kind of snobbery Cheesy

Absolutely do what you are most comfortable with and at least getting a little closer to the earth and nature is a start. For me, getting amongst it and as stripped back as possible is my bag. 

As well as this, everyone will have a slightly different bar as to what their version of "basics" is and likewise what "home luxuries" is. In camping for me "basics" might be just the tent and "luxuries" might be a suitable amount of loo roll or biodegradable wipes

'Incessant Nonsense'

Lambo75

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 19:24:21 »

all good fun Smiley

off tomorrow, and having bought a season ticket for the first time in 7 years a little gutted that I'll be missing the home game this week.

still....weather is looking decent, so I will be chilling out and enjoying the best past-time bar none....people watching.
no doubt will have tent envy too......but can't stretch to one of them fancy new air pole things.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 19:29:54 »

Whereabouts are you camping

So, give no fucks
Crackity Jones

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 19:59:56 »

I was going to quote Bamboos post but it was too long. For me, camping is about connecting with nature or at least the great outdoors. How you choose to do that is up to you. Full on Motorhome or wildcamp - whatever works for you. Me - I am currently sat by a fire drinking whisky. I will soon go to a comfortable bed in my camper van

Lambo75

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 20:19:29 »

Whereabouts are you camping

Heading to Dawlish Warren for a few days
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 20:21:50 »

Lovely part of the country and at least the weather looks nice

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print