Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Mansfield pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 36812 times)
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: Monday, August 30, 2021, 09:34:49 »

Also Mansfield started the game pressing & closing us down very quickly, something they couldn’t keep up for 90 mins.
Chasing the ball is much more tiring than passing it about so you can wear the opposition down by keeping possession.
The key is to not let a goal in early (which we struggled to do last season) and then take advantage later in the game
Flashheart

« Reply #376 on: Monday, August 30, 2021, 09:36:58 »

Playing it out per se is not the problem. Playing it out 'badly' is. There were many sloppy passes from us on Saturday.

I reckon this style of play will take longer to click and without a preseason it's showing. I was encouraged by the improvement in the 2nd half, though. It shows the manager probably knows how to fix it.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: Monday, August 30, 2021, 09:37:54 »

Nobody is saying just give it a hoof but, in certain circumstances, that is precisely the right thing to do. We’re getting away with our occasional clumsiness at the back because the opposition, by and large, aren’t good enough to capitalise.

It’s quite possible that continuing with this style may reduce these errors by dint of repetition.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #378 on: Monday, August 30, 2021, 09:38:57 »

Playing it out per se is not the problem. Playing it out 'badly' is. There were many sloppy passes from us on Saturday.

I reckon this style of play will take longer to click and without a preseason it's showing. I was encouraged by the improvement in the 2nd half, though. It shows the manager probably knows how to fix it.
I lost count on Saturday how many times ALL of out players played passes short when playing out of defence, thats just shoddy for a professional, I would rather a pass was over hit that underhit when playing out from the back as underhit passes almost always were intercepted by Mansfield.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: Monday, August 30, 2021, 09:54:40 »

I lost count on Saturday how many times ALL of out players played passes short when playing out of defence, thats just shoddy for a professional, I would rather a pass was over hit that underhit when playing out from the back as underhit passes almost always were intercepted by Mansfield.

And good players with a brain can see this, if not before it’s going to happen then certainly after when a period of play has elapsed when it keeps happening.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: Monday, August 30, 2021, 09:57:24 »

Was thinking about our formation and agree with those saying that Gladwin needs to be dropped at the moment. If we're playing three CBs with Grant in front of them and Reed deeper than Payne, we're overloaded in the middle and someone else needs to be driving us forward otherwise you get what we had on Saturday, with Payne overworked as the only out. If we move to a 3-3-3-1, then Williams looks like the obvious candidate if he's deemed fit enough, otherwise McKirdy.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: Monday, August 30, 2021, 11:19:50 »

re: playing it out from the back. First half we had 3 players waiting for it. Mansfield had 3 attackers waiting for them to get it.

if we kicked it long, it was mostly coming back. if we played it short they pressed us into a mistake.

tricky.  felt a bit Luke Williams at half time

I personally thought we were loads better in the second half. really enjoyed it.

no doubt Mansfield should have scored at least 1, but they failed to do so. that's football
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: Monday, August 30, 2021, 11:44:08 »

Hopefully Garner would have learnt how to changes things sooner for future games.

So, give no fucks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: Monday, August 30, 2021, 11:52:13 »

Was thinking about our formation and agree with those saying that Gladwin needs to be dropped at the moment. If we're playing three CBs with Grant in front of them and Reed deeper than Payne, we're overloaded in the middle and someone else needs to be driving us forward otherwise you get what we had on Saturday, with Payne overworked as the only out. If we move to a 3-3-3-1, then Williams looks like the obvious candidate if he's deemed fit enough, otherwise McKirdy.

I look at our squad and even our XI and think they’d suit a 4231

Odimayo, Conroy, Crichlow, Hunt as a flat back 4
Grant and Reed as the holding two
Then any combination of KKH, Payne, Williams, Gladwin, McKirdy even Iandolo at a push as the attacking three.
Simpson up top.

Like Saturday Hunt was fine defensively and got forward well but when he received the ball in advanced positions I felt we were crying out for an actual left winger up there rather than a LB.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #384 on: Monday, August 30, 2021, 12:37:45 »

I thought the logical replacement for Hunt would have been Williams playing wingback/left wing instead of Hunt when we play 3 at the back.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: Monday, August 30, 2021, 12:44:56 »

I thought the logical replacement for Hunt would have been Williams playing wingback/left wing instead of Hunt when we play 3 at the back.

I must admit. I thought Hunt for Williams was going to be substitution at the time.
Good job it wasn’t because we needed Hunt to defend at 1-0 up but at 0-0 felt we needed a more attack minded player in the positions Hunt was getting into.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #386 on: Monday, August 30, 2021, 12:54:30 »

I look at our squad and even our XI and think they’d suit a 4231

Odimayo, Conroy, Crichlow, Hunt as a flat back 4
Grant and Reed as the holding two
Then any combination of KKH, Payne, Williams, Gladwin, McKirdy even Iandolo at a push as the attacking three.
Simpson up top.

Like Saturday Hunt was fine defensively and got forward well but when he received the ball in advanced positions I felt we were crying out for an actual left winger up there rather than a LB.
Problem with that is Odimayos distribution is really poor and by the look of it Garner is kind of doing what Klopp does with TAA with Kesler and wants him to be someone who can dictate play from deep.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #387 on: Monday, August 30, 2021, 12:58:09 »

Odimayos distribution on Saturday was terrible, but then again so was Grant which was unusual.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #388 on: Monday, August 30, 2021, 12:59:46 »

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/19546199.swindon-town-address-reports-homophobic-abuse-home-fans-mansfield-town-game/?fbclid=IwAR1zJeqWdeMmflreU3JYW8Gbe3zD4-uUm3HduCtxUGErZYSEGAm4jiK2Y6w

The bloke in question was sat about 5 seats along and one row down from me.

He called every Mansfield player who went down ‘a poof’ he also called Iandolo the same after he went down after getting a ball to face (no gay jokes!!!)

Outdated terms from a bloke whose clearly a product of his time - maybe with some alcohol inside him.

His most offensive (yet completely nonsensical comment/abuse) was asking if a Mansfield players ‘mum was Jimmy Saville’

A bloke two rows in front of me just basically told him that was enough after he called Iandolo a poof.

Certainly not the worst abusive thing I’ve heard at a football match. Not that I’m claiming for one second it’s not offensive.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #389 on: Monday, August 30, 2021, 13:01:28 »

Odimayos distribution on Saturday was terrible, but then again so was Grant which was unusual.
True, my worry is that Odimayos is continuously poor
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: