Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Mansfield pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 36814 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #345 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 02:24:50 »

Having seen the replay, the ref definitely dropped a bollock for their 'non' goal. I'd be a tad miffed if I was a Mansfield fan.

We didn't play well again today, but we are showing grit. Another 5 ish games before our preseason is over, and about 7-8 points more than I thought we'd have at this point.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 07:24:21 »

I haven't read back all the comments so apologies for any repetition. I've just re-watched the first half - stand by my initial thought at the time that Mansfield had done their homework and particularly early on, nullified us almost completely.

I thought Conroy and Reed were both excellent for us.

KKH was sloppy in the first half but better in the second as the team improved and he got further forward.

Gladwin hads been fairly anonymous in the last two home games - needs dropping IMO.

And Hunt is a decent left back, but as a LWB doesn't offer the same impetus going forwards as Iandolo does.

Payne again was the driving force in getting us up the pitch - the home games so far this season have been my first experience of watching him in any detail and he's consistently been the main driver of our attacks.

Simpson was great again I thought, totally deserved his goal - what an inspired substitution that was by Garner to bring on Williams (who I can see why fans adore him - loves a tackle doesn't he??)

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 08:14:53 »

I'm now on a bus with a town fan who's talking to himself. He walked from the CG to the tri centre.  Huh? Huh?
I get on at Fleming way by the fire station
probably jibber  after his afternoon at the CGH.   Pint Pint Pint

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 08:30:51 »

Not seen the highlights but probably a good thing that referee's wrists don't vibrate and light up in L2.
Looked like a shocking miss at the time as well.

First time we've had crowds over 8k in each of the first three home games since 2010-11.
A winning team should mean that people will keep on coming.
Some might prefer a bit more of a dynamic offering, but it's been pretty good so far.
Early impression is that this will be a tight league so would expect a few wars of attrition.
Wouldn't agree with the comment that it was "dreadful shite" in the first half.
Maybe iFollowers are just more akin to an audience at the old Glasgow Empire. Smiley

Still, good appreciation shown by the fans at the end of the game.
These early points will be very handy if we are hit with a deduction.
Hopefully it won't come to that.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 08:44:45 »

Agree with WB.
Enjoyed it and loved the extra bit of quality that brought the goal. Fans were great throughout. If I were a Mansfield fan I would be disappointed to have lost but they looked decent to me. I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the football this far but I am sure the weather will play its part as winter arrives. Hopefully we will use a longer ball when required as yesterday we almost gave the points away over doing it at the back. Well done Town.

Parasitic freeloading season ticket holder scum
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 09:48:30 »

Apart from Scunthorpe I would expect every other side we have played will have a top half finish.
Stevenage a bottom half finish.
Never works out that way though but an excellent start to the season taking everything into account.

The clean sheets are impressive. 3 now and that is a superb base to build from.
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 10:11:38 »

“I’ve got my professional life at stake here because if I can’t get Bristol Rovers promoted out of this division, I’m not going to get the top jobs I want, I’m not going to get to work up the food chain for these big clubs, so I’ve got a lot invested.”

Barton is unbelievable. 4 wins in 24.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 10:14:03 »

Having read back, it's great to see that the norm has returned with the negative focused posts - it shows that we are back to some sort of normailty, even when we win.

I for one wasn't expecting to see us playing well until Oct/Nov so am pleasantly surprised with our progress so far along with the amount of points we have and where we sit in the table - if we can acumulate this amount of points with a disjointed unfamiliar team that has not had a pre-season, imagine what we can do once this lot get used to each other and are fit enough to deliver 90 minutes without blowing out of their arses?

Very positive indeed.  Loving the L2 Lukaku for that finish, he deseres a lot of credit.  He didn't just bust a bollock to get on the end of it, but managed to guide it into the left side of the net using the outside of his boot - great finish.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 10:18:12 »

“I’ve got my professional life at stake here because if I can’t get Bristol Rovers promoted out of this division, I’m not going to get the top jobs I want, I’m not going to get to work up the food chain for these big clubs, so I’ve got a lot invested.”

Barton is unbelievable. 4 wins in 24.

How is that unbelievable? he’s spot on
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 10:19:19 »

Not seen the highlights but probably a good thing that referee's wrists don't vibrate and light up in L2.
Looked like a shocking miss at the time as well.

First time we've had crowds over 8k in each of the first three home games since 2010-11.
A winning team should mean that people will keep on coming.
Some might prefer a bit more of a dynamic offering, but it's been pretty good so far.
Early impression is that this will be a tight league so would expect a few wars of attrition.
Wouldn't agree with the comment that it was "dreadful shite" in the first half.
Maybe iFollowers are just more akin to an audience at the old Glasgow Empire. Smiley

Still, good appreciation shown by the fans at the end of the game.
These early points will be very handy if we are hit with a deduction.
Hopefully it won't come to that.
That was me with the ‘dreadful shite’ comment - and it was! Couldn’t string 2 passes together, even the tippy tappy ones between the defenders with no opposition player around were either over or under hit. Got caught numerous times, gave the ball away, zero threat on their goal. Didn’t make for good viewing. We seemed obsessed with players receiving the ball whose first instinct is turn backwards and pass it back. We had a free kick in their half which, 3 passes later, ended up with Wollacott.

2nd half was better - could hardly be worse, though. We aren’t going to keep getting lucky with the opposition missing so many chances.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 10:21:10 »

Will be interesting to see whether we are just poor passers of the ball or whether Mansfield did a job good on the press.

Then again if Mansfield can do it then so can the other 23 teams.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 10:27:30 »

You would have thought experienced players like Gladwin, Grant & Payne could adapt to their pressing

So, give no fucks
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 11:07:40 »

If playing with 3 CB's is going to be the regular formation then would like to see one of them try and beat the high press on occasion by carrying the ball (not in a William Webb Ellis type way) out of defence.
It's a risk but Conroy, Odimayo and Crichlow (and Baudry if he plays) are all capable of a good dribble.
Can't always look to just try and pass our way through.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 11:09:06 »

If anything, this thread just goes to show that different people get widely different things from football.

I think most there yesterday couldn’t have cared less who did what, when and why.

All they wanted was ‘their club’ back on the field. Anything above this, is a bonus so the fact that X didn’t do Y, and A wasn’t in the right place by 2.76 metres is totally irrelevant. Let’s face it, if they did everything that some people expect, they wouldn’t be 4th level footballers. (Apart from a couple out there who clearly should be playing at a higher level)

If you come away from the CG with 3 points that all that is required.
Badger

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 11:24:20 »

I remember the first few weeks of Ardiles's tenure, we were all having heart attacks then about defenders playing the ball out of defence, but that didn't end badly did it.

Hopefully they will just get better at doing it.

The goal did come from playing the ball out from the back after all

(there are of course occasions when a good wack up field is the right thing to do !)
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: