Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Mansfield pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 36919 times)
Badger

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 11:24:48 »

https://www.skysports.com/football/swindon-town-vs-mansfield-town/report/448500
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #361 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 12:04:12 »

Will be interesting to see whether we are just poor passers of the ball or whether Mansfield did a job good on the press.

Then again if Mansfield can do it then so can the other 23 teams.
We were really poor yesterday but Mansfield were certainly very well disciplined. They will be up there and have a good manager too
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 13:04:57 »

Really doesn't look like it went in to me, but everyone who I've spoken to who was down that end and saw it live says they think it was.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 13:16:28 »

Having seen the replay, the ref definitely dropped a bollock for their 'non' goal. I'd be a tad miffed if I was a Mansfield fan.

We didn't play well again today, but we are showing grit. Another 5 ish games before our preseason is over, and about 7-8 points more than I thought we'd have at this point.

The ref would depend on his assistant who's job is to be in line with the play. If the assistant's view was obscured, then he couldn't give it. Hit the Mansfield's player on the arse, then was sliced directly into JoJo's arms across the goal.  You would have to be level with the goal line to know if it was in or out, so can't blame the ref.  Going by Clough's interview after the game (he must have talked to the officials) he wasn't too annoyed.  If the officials had admitted dropping one, then he would have said so and been his normal whiny self.  He got the tactics right, his players didn't take their chances.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 14:26:12 »

The ref would depend on his assistant who's job is to be in line with the play. If the assistant's view was obscured, then he couldn't give it. Hit the Mansfield's player on the arse, then was sliced directly into JoJo's arms across the goal.  You would have to be level with the goal line to know if it was in or out, so can't blame the ref.  Going by Clough's interview after the game (he must have talked to the officials) he wasn't too annoyed.  If the officials had admitted dropping one, then he would have said so and been his normal whiny self.  He got the tactics right, his players didn't take their chances.
Also the Mansfield fans protested more than the players !!.
 Thought Mansfield had us worked out, marking was very tight and they passed and attacked with pace, good job they couldn't finish !!. 
As already said first half was poor but we dug in second half and ground out a result that didn't seem possible at half time.  If we can keep going at the current rate there's no reason to fear anyone in this division.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 15:27:59 »

We were really poor yesterday but Mansfield were certainly very well disciplined. They will be up there and have a good manager too

Thought the same tbh but don’t have much to compare it too.

Mansfield really stifled our game plan and pressured us into mistakes.
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 15:50:46 »

Hope your dad is ok squire.

Thank you. He woke up Friday morning and was taken off a ventilator but still required adrenaline to keep his blood pressure up. He began to maintain his own blood pressure later in the day and was off all artificial/life support medication. I left Bury St Edmunds West Suffolk hospital at 10.30 the wife dropped the kids at Walcot where I parked at 1410 as I wouldn't have got hone and back to Swindon in time. It was a dogged performance, far too much tippy tappy at times playing ourselves in trouble but a great defensive effort. Next game for me, Vale at home so tickets bought and my 10 year old wants his mate to come along so happy to introduce another youngster to the town, perhaps the bug will bite and he will want to come each time we can.

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 20:43:45 »

Chuffed Simpson got off the mark yesterday. Great goal.
Flashheart

« Reply #368 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 21:02:57 »

The cross for the goal was sublime.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 21:04:32 »

A shame he won't be available next weekend at Stevenage

So, give no fucks
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 21:05:20 »

All 5 passes for the goal were forward passes. First half was nothing but backwards.

Every goal tells a story.
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: Monday, August 30, 2021, 08:00:30 »

All 5 passes for the goal were forward passes. First half was nothing but backwards.

FORWARDS
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: Monday, August 30, 2021, 09:01:21 »

Not strictly true. The move started with two backward passes, before Wollacott started it going forwards.....
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: Monday, August 30, 2021, 09:08:39 »

The modern game is about possession football and playing from the back. So unless we have PL able players, which of course we don’t, patience from the supporters is a must. Gone are the days of the keeper smashing the ball upfield every time for two giant and quick forwards to chase down. Or playing route one football.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: Monday, August 30, 2021, 09:30:48 »

Spot on - if Woolacott had kicked it long on Saturday, with Simpson alone up front it simply gives the opposition the ball and we are defending again.
Part of the problem in the first half was that there was too little movement from the forward players to create space / options for the pass forward. Generally the only players in any space were either KKH or Hunt - both wide on the touch line.
Second half we did better - more movement, and possibly they tired a bit - not many teams can maintain a press like that for 90 mins.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: