Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Afghan lives matter  (Read 20669 times)
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Saturday, August 21, 2021, 15:08:54 »

The issue here as far as I was concerned was that we should, apparently, "keep (certain) politics out of football"

Comparing it to poppies is a pretty bad faith argument though, isn't it?

A giant portion of the crowd in November, the overwhelming majority, will have had family either current generations or previous that have served in wars for The British Army and a giant portion linked to someone who has died too. It's relevant to the people attending

Is wearing a poppy anymore political than attending a funeral, anyway? It's not really a political statement is it?

What is happening in Afghanistan absolutely makes me sick to my stomach, but so does a lot of stuff. The world is fucked. You could pick a new and different every week to virtue signal and none will make any difference or mean anything directly to anyone attending.

Unless you can make a good argument for doing it other than "showing solidarity" to people who will never see it, it's just a spot of sanctimonious showing off on a Saturday afternoon.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Saturday, August 21, 2021, 15:10:17 »

Why don't you go the whole hog and make a tapestry or quilt, you could stick the Yemeni, Palestinian and Somali flags on too.
Afghanistan has been "fucked" for centuries, but it is fair to say the West's involvement in Afghanistan's recent history has helped create the current situation.

Regardless of whether it's Britain's "fault" or not, it just the decent human thing to do by offering refuge to those who seek it.

Have you forgotten how the Taliban started? Nowt to do with the west.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Saturday, August 21, 2021, 15:56:43 »

Is wearing a poppy anymore political than attending a funeral, anyway? It's not really a political statement is it?

My understanding is that many consider that it is.

Many causes are supported in football.  Again, it occurs to me that those who say politics must be kept out of football really mean those issues that they are keen to ignore.

Whether we are, in reality, dealing with virtue signallers, doesn't get me bent out of shape.

Nothing to see here
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Saturday, August 21, 2021, 16:53:00 »

Many causes are supported in football.  Again, it occurs to me that those who say politics must be kept out of football really mean those issues that they are keen to ignore.

Whether we are, in reality, dealing with virtue signallers, doesn't get me bent out of shape.

My understanding is that many do not understand the Poppy wearing and the charitable causes the money raised goes to help.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Saturday, August 21, 2021, 17:46:09 »

You are trying to be deliberately controversial as always. The poppy and Remembrance Day in general is about remembering those who served the country and died during various conflicts. Despite FIFA’s opinion it’s not political, the poppy is just the symbol, there’s even a National Day for it FFS so it’s completely incomparable. Many clubs had their squads wiped out during various wars so it’s also totally relevant that football pays its respects.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Saturday, August 21, 2021, 17:56:50 »

You are trying to be deliberately controversial as always.

No. The question was asked. I merely answered it. 

Nothing to see here
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Saturday, August 21, 2021, 17:59:58 »

Just what suits your criteria.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #67 on: Saturday, August 21, 2021, 18:07:37 »

For what it's worth I agree with JBZ
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Saturday, August 21, 2021, 18:10:22 »

Just what suits your criteria.

Obstreperous.
STFC no2 fan

« Reply #69 on: Saturday, August 21, 2021, 20:40:51 »

I guess my initial thought was that if the EPL and EFL players/clubs/fans provided some form of awareness about the issue it might put pressure on UK govt. to sort out the disgraceful humanitarian crisis that’s emerging. I also tweeted a few high profile EPL players asking if they’d make a gesture but obs no response. ‘Virtue signalling’…… ‘politics has no part in football…’ fair enough as opinions.
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Saturday, August 21, 2021, 22:42:50 »

Comparing it to poppies is a pretty bad faith argument though, isn't it?

A giant portion of the crowd in November, the overwhelming majority, will have had family either current generations or previous that have served in wars for The British Army and a giant portion linked to someone who has died too. It's relevant to the people attending

[
What is happening in Afghanistan absolutely makes me sick to my stomach, but so does a lot of stuff. The world is fucked. You could pick a new and different every week to virtue signal and none will make any difference or mean anything directly to anyone b]Is wearing a poppy anymore political than attending a funeral, anyway? It's not really a political statement is it?[/b]

Unless you can make a good argument for doing it other than "showing solidarity" to people who will never see it, it's just a spot of sanctimonious showing off on a Saturday afternoon.

You think the deployment of British troops over the last 200 years isn’t political? Ask the Irish or countless other countries who have been subjected to British imperialism.
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Saturday, August 21, 2021, 22:47:20 »

You are trying to be deliberately controversial as always. The poppy and Remembrance Day in general is about remembering those who served the country and died during various conflicts. Despite FIFA’s opinion it’s not political, the poppy is just the symbol, there’s even a National Day for it FFS so it’s completely incomparable. Many clubs had their squads wiped out during various wars so it’s also totally relevant that football pays its respects.

Which is a political statement. Wars are political, therefore remembering the dead is by definition political whether you agree with it or not is beside the point?
pantomime dame

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Sunday, August 22, 2021, 00:49:35 »

Tony Blair took us into this shit show. The initial bombing of Boro Boro was in deed a noble and correct thing to do but that operation was over in 12 months.
 Then arch globalist and remainer Blair added a little mission creep, trying to civilise a third world nation was never going to work. He is a gammon if ever their was one. All this of course in the shadow of Obama, another well known globalist and remainer but not a gammon.
We should never allow globalists liberals like Blair and Cameron (Libya) to dabble in British foreign affairs. It always ends badly for us and for the innocent natives involved.

Woke is the revenge of the mediocre
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Sunday, August 22, 2021, 05:57:20 »

Tony Blair took us into this shit show. The initial bombing of Boro Boro was in deed a noble and correct thing to do but that operation was over in 12 months.
 Then arch globalist and remainer Blair added a little mission creep, trying to civilise a third world nation was never going to work. He is a gammon if ever their was one. All this of course in the shadow of Obama, another well known globalist and remainer but not a gammon.
We should never allow globalists liberals like Blair and Cameron (Libya) to dabble in British foreign affairs. It always ends badly for us and for the innocent natives involved.

This 100% + conveniently forgotten by the left and liberal snowflakes.

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Sunday, August 22, 2021, 06:32:10 »

This 100% + conveniently forgotten by the left and liberal snowflakes.

No it isn't. It's why Labour were ousted in 2010 with the left and liberal snowflakes as you call them deserting the party and voting for, in particular the liberal party that year. It was the left of the party who were most vocally against military action in fact.

It should also be noted that the Tories backed Blair's actions at every stage when discussed in parliament.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: