Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Head vs Heart  (Read 6679 times)
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 10:59:28 »

Given the details about quite how much of a shitshow last season was from a coaching & management perspective I'm inclined to give all of last year's players a free pass on a season that's best forgotten.
Hunt is a great example - really impressed with him under Wellens and then looked a shadow of the same player last year.

This season will be made or broken on injuries and how many of our first team can play the majority of games. If we get through relatively unscathed then I'm quite optimistic of a top half finish, but that's a big if.

Almost just posted this word-for-word. Using last season as a yard stick is grossly unfair to these players.

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 11:01:48 »

As corny as it is I'm just relieved and excited to have some football back. I think we'll have enough to stay up, and that's all I'm hoping for. Anything else is a bonus.

This....

Clems Army!
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 11:25:30 »

Mid table, probably a minor flirt with the possiblity of squeaking into the playoffs at end of season but like others, this year I'm just happy to be able to go to games and watch some football again.

If we start taking injuries I can see us struggling. Not a huge amount of depth.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 11:30:33 »

Having a fitness regime at the club will be a massive benefit to us.
Hoping that we see less muscular injuries and these are managed more effectively. Expecting us to strengthen up top and if we are successful here then you never know.
A few weeks behind everyone else but certainly not adrift.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 11:38:00 »

Having a fitness regime at the club will be a massive benefit to us.
Hoping that we see less muscular injuries and these are managed more effectively. Expecting us to strengthen up top and if we are successful here then you never know.
A few weeks behind everyone else but certainly not adrift.

How was the chilled champagne?
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 11:54:05 »

Head and heart (which is black and wizened) say bottom for the first couple of months. We may claw our way upwards if we’re lucky with injuries.

I’d be delighted if we stay up, the management team looks as though they know what they’re doing and off-field stuff continues on an upward curve.

I feel fortunate that I’ve got a team to watch this season- something I wasn’t so sure about a few weeks ago.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 13:18:50 »

My head is saying "don't get too excited we might get a points deduction"
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 13:19:10 »

My suspicion is that we'll be in the bottom six - eight or so for the first couple of months of the season, but pull away as the team gels and after a bit of strengthening be firmly midtable. But you know, I thought we'd be fine last season, so what do I know?

Exactly my thoughts. With no pre-season or a squad to even take pre-season I think any points in those first 6 games are a bonus.  
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 14:13:10 »

I still can't get my head in a position to accept targeting safety/bottom half finish. As town fans we haven't had this proposition many times in the last 20 years. We usually go into each season with ambitions of promotion.

I know we are lucky to have the club and our preparations have been terrible. BUT i still can't do it. this is a proper shit league and everyone is making these assumptions without more signings to come.

I refuse to believe it.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 14:19:49 »

I still can't get my head in a position to accept targeting safety/bottom half finish. As town fans we haven't had this proposition many times in the last 20 years. We usually go into each season with ambitions of promotion.

I know we are lucky to have the club and our preparations have been terrible. BUT i still can't do it. this is a proper shit league and everyone is making these assumptions without more signings to come.

I refuse to believe it.

The main issue is, even if we have another 5 reasonable signing and we have a squad we're happy with.....they've been totally thrown together with no preseason.

You would hope certain players will be professional enough to be in good shape anyway, you'd certainly expect the loans from higher clubs to be. I'd be willing to wager there will be a few that aren't though and their lack of fitness will be a problem.

Then the team of players thrown together have to gel tactically and within the way we want to play. It could take months for them to gel properly.

This is all after assuming we get 5 or 6 more signings to give us a squad capable of competing. I think it's just people being realistic about our circumstances.
Flashheart

« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 14:25:48 »

Then the team of players thrown together have to gel tactically and within the way we want to play. It could take months for them to gel properly.

The same goes for other teams, though, and would still apply to us had we had a full pre-season.

The way I see it is that we're 5-6 games behind the others. After that we should be caught up, albeit having had a poor start results-wise.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 14:33:04 by Flashheart » Logged
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 14:30:33 »

Yeah my general thinking first 6 games is a total write off.

Games 7 to 10 may still be difficult but after that we should be reasonably ok with the squad we have, provided we don't have rotten luck with injuries.
AMayesIng

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 14:41:41 »

I dont have a clue how this season is going to go tbh. Usually have some idea at the start of the season (based on last season, who weve kept, new signings, same/different manager etc.). Sometimes completely wrong, but at least some inkling. This season, not a clue. Not even sure how many of the new squad I've actually seen play in the flesh... Just looking forward to watching live games again! COYR
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 14:44:20 »

Head says 16th place finish.

Nothing to see here
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 14:57:06 »

How was the chilled champagne?

Superb Mate Smiley