Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England v Denmark  (Read 21173 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #135 on: Wednesday, July 7, 2021, 22:11:18 »

The more I see the penalty, the more I think the ref got it right.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Wednesday, July 7, 2021, 22:16:46 »

It was blatant. Not so much the defender clipping his heels, but the midfielder coming in late and bundling him over. I’m genuinely confused by the conversation around it

That game was the exact mirror of the Croatia semi final, only we were Croatia. Denmark played well first half, and deserved to be in front. But from 55 minutes onwards we dominated and comfortably deserved to win

Things get better but they never get good
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Wednesday, July 7, 2021, 22:18:39 »

It was blatant. Not so much the defender clipping his heels, but the midfielder coming in late and bundling him over. I’m genuinely confused by the conversation around it

That game was the exact mirror of the Croatia semi final, only we were Croatia. Denmark played well first half, and deserved to be in front. But from 55 minutes onwards we dominated and comfortably deserved to win

Fundamentally agree.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Wednesday, July 7, 2021, 22:19:33 »

The only stats that ever matter are goals, period.
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Wednesday, July 7, 2021, 22:34:45 »

Fundamentally agree.

I thought Sterling went down very easy. If England conceded a penalty like that then there would be uproar.

I think VAR has been used very well in this tournament. However for a game of this magnitude I think the referee should have been asked to look at a replay of the situation. If he still thinks it’s a penalty then fair enough but I think he would have changed his mind.
Flashheart

« Reply #140 on: Wednesday, July 7, 2021, 22:41:39 »

Whether or not the player goes down easily does not make a difference to whether or not it was a penalty.

And I'm not sure he did go down too easily anyway. There was contact from one side and was then basically pushed from the other side. There's no way he could be expected to stay on his feet after the second contact. I think too much attention is being paid to the first contact, with people forgetting the other guy just ran right into him.
Hunk

« Reply #141 on: Wednesday, July 7, 2021, 22:45:41 »

He was clipped by the first guy and bumped by the second. It was a staggered sandwich. Pretty clearly a penalty to my eyes
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Thursday, July 8, 2021, 01:14:46 »

The ref was closer than any of us. Also think Kane should have had a pen earlier. Bollocks to the doubters  Smiley
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Thursday, July 8, 2021, 02:30:39 »

Never had a staggered sandwich. Had a scabbard sandwich. Very tasty Smiley

Fuckkkkkkinnggg hell lads, most of us have never been alive or old enough to see/watch England in a final of a major tournament!

Still buzzing. Bzzz Bzzz Bzzz.

Also loved Gary Neville's metaphor for a good human in Gareth Southgate  Clap

Fuck. It is only sport but it hasn't sunk in properly yet. It's nice to be alive to be part of some positive history. Let's hope England can go one step further. All about taking your chances and England have been very good at that.

Such an efficient machine, which is not even the finished article. Several lads who have barely been adults yet play with the intelligence and maturity of a top level seasoned pro with 10-15 seasons under their belt. Saka, Sancho, Mount, Foden, Bellingham, Trent Alexander-Arnold...if they continue at the same rate, these players are going to become absolute myths in the English game in say 5years (2026 World Cup), the oldest of that bunch would only be 25. Add to it that Sterling, Shaw, Phillips and Kane (31, 30, 30 & 32 respectively in 5 years) will still be knocking around, so there is not only a decent core in the set up but one that could and should sustain good tournament success (semi finals or better) at International level for a little while yet.

The final is the correct match up of two good teams. Both rejuvenated but in totally different ways. It is the right final that even the neutrals deserve.

Final thought, that ball retention and game management for England in the last three mins of ET was the kind of stuff we've seen Brazil & Germany do in the past. Denmark just could not get the ball. It took a passing error in the end for them to get it back. I stopped counting after 39 passes. I'm sure someone will tell me how many it was.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Thursday, July 8, 2021, 06:16:35 »

It was never a penalty and we'd be sick as dog's if it had been given against us but who cares. That's football. Nice to get the rub of the green. Stirling was phenomenal again I thought.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Thursday, July 8, 2021, 07:05:31 »

I’ve only watched each one once and the latter on my phone whilst working

I thought the one on Kane looked like more of penalty than the Sterling one.
We’d have probably had been in the lead if Denmark has literally any other keeper in the world in goal. Schmeichel was a class above.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Thursday, July 8, 2021, 07:10:22 »

Yep, Sterling tremendous - the stamina of the guy to still be breaking forward in extra time was remarkable. I'd be steaming mad if the penalty went the other way, but think there was at least one stronger penalty shout not given and we were by far the better team from 1-1 onwards.

Kane excellent, Walker excellent, everyone pretty good except perhaps the CMs in the first half - but Phillips turned it round. He's been the revelation of the tournament for me, there's no way he starts the tournament if Henderson is fit but he's made himself a key part of this team.

Just bloody delighted. I think we'll probably start as outsiders on Sunday and I'm a bit concerned that Italy feel like the perfectly set up team against us, but four or five days of buildup should get any sense of perspective thoroughly out of the way.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Thursday, July 8, 2021, 07:35:33 »

Never a penalty in my opinion. Harsh on the Danes.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #148 on: Thursday, July 8, 2021, 07:49:19 »

There was the same amount of contact on Sterling than there was from mount on that shit free kick that led to their goal. Fuck em
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Thursday, July 8, 2021, 07:50:09 »

I think we'll probably start as outsiders on Sunday.
Afraid not,  England favourites, varying prices at just under 2-1  Italy at just over 2-1.  

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: