Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England v Germany  (Read 25195 times)
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 07:49:41 »

Just like Shearer in 96

Really, Shearer scored after about 20 mins of the first game, Kane has taken about 300 mins to get of the mark.

It will be great if he goes on from here & ends up the tournament top scorer as Shearer did.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 07:53:21 »

I know you're on a high because you were there but performance wise I don't think we were great. Solid enough and did the job. Atmosphere sounded and looked fantastic though, better half full than it is full (although it didn't seem half full at all!)

Nobody around me thought it was a masterclass*, that's for sure. People started getting a little anxious on 60 minutes with shouting at attacking players and calls for subs (nothing different to any game).

Think think the combination of many people's first game with a decent crowed in 15 months and the whole history with Germany was a loving and lethal mix.

* Swashbuckling/the stereotypical positive stuff. It was a solid plan by Southgate but a nervy one.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 07:57:00 by Costanza » Logged
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #227 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 07:55:02 »

I understand the comparison. Southgate sticking with Kane despite his baron spell

In hindsight it could be the best decision of the comp if he hits form now as he was clearly suffering some dip in confidence. Like shearer we need to remember Kane isn't some flash in the pan he is the real deal and will come good again
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 07:59:47 »

It’s funny how the result changes everyone’s perspective, at half time many people were slagging off the team selection and Southgate, Win 2-0 & it’s the best game ever.

Personally, the 4-1 win over the Dutch in 96 was better, in fact possibly the best an England team performance I can remember.

I believe that was as good as that team could play, with this team I think they could play better than they did last night, and I really hope they do
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 08:12:08 »

I thought England did well. Muller had to score. That may have changed the game.

Ukraine will be difficult, but England are the strongest team in the last '4' of their route to the final.

If they don't get to the final, especially with most games at Wembley (apart from Sat) then would that be classed as disappointment?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 08:12:18 »

I love the idea of people watching with their arms folded saying 'well its not as good as [insert game here]'.

If no thrills, slow and steady wins the race gets England through the rounds then I'm all for it.

There will come a time when the game plan is compromised and that's when we'll need to see how Southgate deals with it because he failed versus Croatia but until then just enjoy the progress.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 08:14:42 »

What worries me is how the team would perform if we went a goal down, surely it would change the style that we are currently playing?
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 08:32:38 »

Well, that was an interesting read back - it seems Southgate might have a semblence of a clue after all.  Great defensive display first half, not so much going forward.  Maguire, Stones, Walker, Rice and Philips gave the strong defensive performance needed.

Grealish for Saka at the right time, Saka was dead on his feet, and that was the introduction that picked the German lock.  For tournament football against the Germans, the selection and game management from Southgate was spot on.

After the doldrums of the past 18 months, some on here need to relearn to enjoy football again and avoid petty arguements on a football forum whilst football history is playing out in front of your eyes..

Life is too short people..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 08:38:10 »

On reading back this thread is definitely a thread of two halves  Cheesy Cheesy
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #234 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 08:54:24 »

For me the game was slow and we were ponderous on the counter until Greaish came on.

I am not suggesting he is "the great white hope" but things started happening and the pace picked up in attack. Saka showed loads of potential but his final ball is not yet consistant enough, but it will be. Grealish has a far better final ball.

For the first 2 England games I saw him I thought Phillis was slow, too heavy in the tackle and only sidewats passing but in this tournament hes been the 2nd best player for me, he has really grown on me and was one of our best performers last night IMO.

The other player who has really impressed me was Pickford, hes turned into a great international keeper, his shot stopping and distribution have been a highlight.

I think we were all thinking it wasn't going to be our night right up until the 1st goal went in, it was end to end but the germans seemed to have the upper hand for long periods.

The other turning point was Muller missing the easy chance to equalize, I was cheering that like it was a goal.

Its not great to watch, its slow and dull but we have the players to beat any team when they are on form, I just wish we played a little more gung ho when attacking, taking a few risks rather than trying to walk the ball in the net.

Ukraine will be by no means a walk over but what a route to the final we have got.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 08:59:02 »

Knife edge for Southgate the results are doing the trick for him.

Lost last night and he would of been slated for sticking with a very very poor Harry Kane who has often left us looking like a ten man side.

But we won...so who cares?

I hope we dish up slow ponderous wins all the way through and lift the cup!!!

Clems Army!
Jilted John

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 09:08:19 »

Best football day of my life.

Never known an atmosphere like it. Never known an England performance like it. We were perfect.
Someone is getting carried away, it wasn't even close to a great performance, it was solid at best.

We're not really violent people... this is our first gun.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 09:08:54 »

The other turning point was Muller missing the easy chance to equalize, I was cheering that like it was a goal.

Like this, you mean! You’re not dinging any more. 1.22 sec in

https://www.ruptly.tv/en/videos/20210629-079-Germany--Fans-watch-in-despair-as-national-team-loses-Euro-2020-match-to-England
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 09:10:39 by The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 09:09:32 »

I am still very happy about life.

Still can't believe Muller missed though, that was Austin-v-Millwall levels of sliding doors moment I think.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #239 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 09:10:50 »

Personally, the 4-1 win over the Dutch in 96 was better, in fact possibly the best an England team performance I can remember.
Absolutely, only  matched with the 5-1 away win in Germany in 2001 but of course that wasn't at the final stages. Both far better all round performances than last night.

Cheesy

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: