Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England v Scotland  (Read 22979 times)
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Saturday, June 19, 2021, 12:10:39 »

A very poor game. Scotland are shit and we were as well. We can get a lot better, they can't. We don't lose against the Czechs, we're through.
I dont think there was anything tactical in this game re finishing second. We had a bad day at the office.
This team would beat the golden generation who were serial bottlers.
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Saturday, June 19, 2021, 12:10:42 »

Definitely think there's bit of a widespread over reaction to last night and the really conservative performance. At international tournaments, pragmatic teams definitely tend to fare much better, and we've seen that with the recent winners in Portugal and France - even with France's deluge of quality, Deschamps still plays safe and doesn't let them out the traps too much. At most of the recent tournaments as well, the eventual finalists often have a drub draw in the group stages against lesser opposition - or 3 on Portugal's case!  Not to say we are finalist worthy, but that good teams don't always blow away all opposition.

Doesn't necessarily excuse us last night, but factors like this aren't causing me to worry or panic just yet, if anything could have been the reality check/wake up call we needed. If we can find a way to play this way but get the best out of our flair players, then maybe we can do alright.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Saturday, June 19, 2021, 12:13:49 »

The problem was Sundays performance against Croatia was hyped up and as Souness said it was OK you won but created very little and last night just confirmed we have the players but not the right manager to ignite them

So, give no fucks
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Saturday, June 19, 2021, 12:32:55 »

The problem was Sundays performance against Croatia was hyped up and as Souness said it was OK you won but created very little and last night just confirmed we have the players but not the right manager to ignite them
I don't have a problem with Southgate. He's level headed and keeps the team the same. In his first tournament we got the semis of the World Cup and lets see where we finish in this one. I like him. Yes he can be a bit negative but I'm sure a lot of teams would like to avoid us. Also, we don't need to peak yet.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Saturday, June 19, 2021, 12:47:06 »

Level headed yes and no doubts a genuine decent guy but has he got the drive and tactical awareness to get the best out of the talent that is available
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 19, 2021, 13:04:29 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Saturday, June 19, 2021, 13:06:27 »

Level headed yes and no doubts a genuine decent guy but has he got the drive and tactical awareness to get the best out of the talent that is available

So who would you have instead?

I don't think Southgate is especially good on tactics, but couldn't tell you who else I would have who might actually take the job. Good coaches work in club football these days, hence the best teams in the tournament being managed by Roberto Martinez, Didier Deschamps and Jogi Loew. Who is the best coach in the tournament - maybe Mancini?
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Saturday, June 19, 2021, 13:09:38 »

If you want a manager to get the best out of the players we have you would want a Klopp, Pep, or Wenger & Fergie of old but if the FA decide to get rid of Southgate after the Euros there are very few options so it's a quandary and I can only think of Rogers
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 19, 2021, 13:11:53 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
Trollope’s Left Foot

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Sunday, June 20, 2021, 09:11:47 »

I went to the game and can’t really disagree with most things that have been posted about it. Kane can’t put the ball in the net if it’s not given to him- Shaw and Reece-James went forward then checked back and the passing via Rice started all over again. Foden really troubled their defence by running at them, as did Grealish when he came on (but why take Foden off?) It also got a very flat English support on its feet! Kane on form would start at any top club but needs the service. Who knows what the game plan was, but I think all of us would love to see England go for the jugular and let the opposition worry about us in the way that Italy are doing.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Sunday, June 20, 2021, 09:13:29 »

I went to the game and can’t really disagree with most things that have been posted about it. Kane can’t put the ball in the net if it’s not given to him- Shaw and Reece-James went forward then checked back and the passing via Rice started all over again. Foden really troubled their defence by running at them, as did Grealish when he came on (but why take Foden off?) It also got a very flat English support on its feet! Kane on form would start at any top club but needs the service. Who knows what the game plan was, but I think all of us would love to see England go for the jugular and let the opposition worry about us in the way that Italy are doing.

Good post and nice to hear how it was from someone who watched it live

So, give no fucks
Trollope’s Left Foot

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Sunday, June 20, 2021, 09:45:37 »

The Scottish support was fantastic- England take note. We were next to them behind one of the goals and they were nothing but positive in the way they get behind their team. I’ve got no doubt that Scotland raise their game when they play England and the reaction to getting a point from a goalless draw was like they’d won the World Cup. I don’t think England need to panic, but as we’ve seen with Town at home, playing positively gets the crowd going and the team responds accordingly.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #175 on: Sunday, June 20, 2021, 09:57:41 »

Fair play to Scotland they were at the top of their game and we were nearer the bottom of ours, it will get better, I do wish Southgate would pick a side to win a game and not pick a side to not lose the game though.

Grealish for all his talent, pace and ball skills is just looking for the free kick before he looks to hurt teams, ala Twine but better. The Scots marked Kane and Sterling out of the game and had a game plan that worked.

Their fans are always very passionate and loud, as are England fans regularly, but I have always found when going to watch England home and away in the past that we are more passionate and vocal in away games than home games so that was expected.

England can play a lot lot better but I am not sure Scotland can play much better, their downfall is having Adams up front who was hugely wasteful, with a better striker they could easily have won but I think overall a draw was a fair result.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Monday, June 21, 2021, 09:48:10 »

Billy Gilmour has got the Covid

Good job not one of the England players got anywhere near him on Friday night

*gag stolen from Twitter*
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Monday, June 21, 2021, 09:57:43 »

Lets be honest it was just a bloody dour game, Scotland needed to not lose and we didn't need to win so it just petered out!

We were just boring and as we have been for years appeared to be devoid of a plan B if plan A fails after the first 25 mins. Not sure whether Kane is injured, hamstrung by the system or (as the cynic in me suspects) not pushing himself as he is after that big move one the tournament is over and with his injury record needs to be careful, he just doesn't look interested.

Media blew it up into something it wasn't and just illustrated the unknown issue is when do we get knocked out, not if.
pantomime dame

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Monday, June 21, 2021, 10:04:20 »

Passion?  

This is how I remember it. Football ain't what it used to be.

Sadly modern football isn't about passion, except the knee bending before the game.

England's virtue signalling is first class, the problem starts when the players try to stand on two legs.

Woke is the revenge of the mediocre
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Monday, June 21, 2021, 10:16:30 »

Sadly modern football isn't about passion, except the knee bending before the game.

England's virtue signalling is first class, the problem starts when the players try to stand on two legs.

the Welsh seem to be able to do both perfectly fine.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: