Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England v Scotland  (Read 23070 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Friday, June 18, 2021, 21:06:21 »

Yawn fest, too many bang average players down the spine of the team. Mings is never international standard, Rice & Phillips are are also average and offer no creativity. Still can’t see what Southgate offers as a manager, everything is safe, slow and one dimensional and this was typical of him in every high pressure game where he gets found out and is unable to change the game.

We’ve been overhyped as usual but excluding a few decent attacking players we aren’t anything special.

‘International standard’ isn’t even a thing.

For example let’s say Mings isn’t international standard. Name me an English centre back you would have in the squad ahead of him.

International standard is all relative to what’s available. How many English centre backs are there - that are actually better than Mings?

If anything the lack of quality was displays at the top end of the pitch - so Kane, Mount, Sterling and Foden
Flashheart

« Reply #136 on: Friday, June 18, 2021, 21:11:13 »

If anything the lack of quality was displays at the top end of the pitch - so Kane, Mount, Sterling and Foden

I agree they weren't great, but by the time they got the ball, Scotland had all of their defenders back. It was Williams-esque at times.

On the odd occasion we did get the ball forward quickly we looked as though we might do something.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Friday, June 18, 2021, 21:17:11 »

Probably worth a reminder that Portugal drew with Iceland, Austria and Hungary in the group stages of Euro 2016. Playing against defensive sides is a totally different skill to play against ones that are trying to win the game.

It may well be that we're shit at both, but don't really think this game proves anything either way.
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Friday, June 18, 2021, 21:26:23 »

For example let’s say Mings isn’t international standard. Name me an English centre back you would have in the squad ahead of him.

International standard is all relative to what’s available. How many English centre backs are there - that are actually better than Mings?

Just because your the best defender for your country it doesn’t mean your international standard. That’s like saying the best San Marino striker is international standard as he’s the best striker for his country.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Friday, June 18, 2021, 21:27:19 »

Again there’s no one else as we lack as a team in central defence and in midfield, I said the same in the squad thread. We are left needing to play relatively mid level Premier League players like Mings, Rice etc and with international football being closer to European football it’s a double whammy as with them not being good enough to play for the top clubs they don’t have experience in these kind of matches.
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Friday, June 18, 2021, 21:29:03 »

Game was crying out for Danny Ings. A guy who creates goals for nothing in a struggling team but we leave him at home and take 15 defenders.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Friday, June 18, 2021, 21:33:49 »

Just because your the best defender for your country it doesn’t mean your international standard. That’s like saying the best San Marino striker is international standard as he’s the best striker for his country.

Yeah that is exactly it.

The best San Marino striker is the international standard for San Marino.

That’s how international football works. You are limited to selecting player from that country. The players available set the international standard for that nation.

If England didn’t pick any player who didn’t meet this mythical worldwide international standard then we wouldn’t even have a squad.

Otherwise, certainly in the Euros Italy and France are the only international standard teams & everyone else is just making up the numbers.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Friday, June 18, 2021, 21:59:11 »

Is it completely fanciful to think that might have been intentional?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Panda Paws

« Reply #143 on: Friday, June 18, 2021, 22:05:52 »

Loads of over-reaction tonight. We forget that game tomorrow. They remember it for the rest of their days.
Flashheart

« Reply #144 on: Friday, June 18, 2021, 22:08:25 »

Is it completely fanciful to think that might have been intentional?

Do you mean deliberately avoiding winning the group to avoid better teams in the knockout stages?

It's not 'completely fanciful', but I don't feel it was controlled enough for that to be the case.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Friday, June 18, 2021, 22:10:53 »

Do you mean deliberately avoiding winning the group to avoid better teams in the knockout stages?

It's not 'completely fanciful', but I don't feel it was controlled enough for that to be the case.

Well to put it another way, the motivation to avoid defeat may have dictated the pattern of play more than the motivation to win.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Friday, June 18, 2021, 22:56:43 »

England over the years are better when they are the underdog.

What?

We haven’t beaten a top side in the knockouts of a major tournament in my viewing lifetime (WC ‘90 being my first memory of England)
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Saturday, June 19, 2021, 05:51:47 »

But doesn't 2nd place face the possibly of facing France next? Think it would be better to win the group, where a theoretically 'easier' opponent lies in wait

I come from a land down-under
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Saturday, June 19, 2021, 06:02:40 »

It was a slack performance against our oldest/biggest rivals who were up for it and, yet, rarely threatened themselves.

It happens.

Reaction post-match from both sides was insane. I understand the Scottish joy as they've not been at one of these for decades but still 1 points and 0 goals in two games...

England have the opportunity to fix the issue. If there isn't an improvement against the Czechs then the heat will be crazy.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Saturday, June 19, 2021, 06:03:57 »

What's worrying us we don't appear to have a manager that can adapt and motivate the talented players we're supposed to have

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: