Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England team for the Euros  (Read 16880 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 13:18:35 »

Great squad, an average manager. We're tactically stunted, and that'll be our undoing.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 13:56:36 »

Great squad, an average manager. We're tactically stunted, and that'll be our undoing.

I don't think he is the greatest manager but its interesting how opinion has changed. I would argue at the last tournament he did well tactically to get what he could out of a squad with very average players in positions, especially midfield.

The fear is now he has more options and ability in the squad and can he do the same now. Probably not, just from an opinion point of view the increased options means most will suggest he's wrong because he should have started Grealish, Sancho, Rashford, who ever is left out. It was hard to argue he didnt pick the best players in the last tournament.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 14:51:25 »

Midfield looks a bit rancid to me.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 15:06:09 »

Holding players Henderson and Rice will be ok
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 17:46:05 »

Yep, as long as both are fit enough to play most of the minutes. I would've taken Maddison (instead of Lingaard) because he's a best passer of all the AMFs but he ain't been playing well so fair dinkum.

How to make the most of Kane is the key and just hope he doesn't get injured. Semi final will be a good achievement.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 18:02:16 »

They’ll get overloaded by decent teams or ones that have an extra man in the middle. Still seems to me that we have decent attackers, an OK midfield, a poor defence and garbage keepers so don’t get how we are one of the favourites. In tight matches against decent teams our backline and keepers will be a liability.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 18:15:07 »

They’ll get overloaded by decent teams or ones that have an extra man in the middle. Still seems to me that we have decent attackers, an OK midfield, a poor defence and garbage keepers so don’t get how we are one of the favourites. In tight matches against decent teams our backline and keepers will be a liability.

Because there is always lots of money on England by mug punters and horror of all horrors if we win the bookies will take a kicking.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 19:21:03 »

I love international tournaments and not just for the England games, I usually aim is to watch all the games. I have almost zero interest in top level club competition so international football gives me the opportunity to watch the best players in the world and the football saturation level is wonderful. World Cup is best but Euros a close 2nd. Come on England.

I don't mind a World Cup or Euros but once the Champions League gets to the knockout stages for me it's by far the best quality football going, including Internationals.

Is it the megabucks nonsense of the top-level club stuff that puts you off?
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 21:41:29 »

I don't mind a World Cup or Euros but once the Champions League gets to the knockout stages for me it's by far the best quality football going, including Internationals.

Just the same few rich teams every year. Even teams like Porto and Ajax are unlikely to ever win another European Cup, nowadays you need state sponsorship to break into the top tier and it's boring. Champions League would be much better as a straight knock-out from the start... winners like Marseille and Red Star Belgrade, imagine that nowadays.

Football has been a disaster this year so I may change my mind once the stadiums are full again but I struggled to watch 90 mins of any match this season. Swindon being absolute dog shit hasn't helped mind.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 21:58:10 »

There have been 13 different teams in the last ten champions league finals

There were 9 different teams in the first 10 European cup finals

In the 90’s it was 12 different teams, in the 70’s and 80’s it was 14.

Winners are no more or less homogenous than it ever was.

Things get better but they never get good
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, May 26, 2021, 01:39:08 »

Surprised not to see Patrick Bamford not even selected provisionally. He's had a cracking season 17 or 18 goals I think.

Definitely ahead of Grealish, Greenwood, Sako and Watkins for me.

Southgate is on crack in that regard.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, May 26, 2021, 05:40:21 »

Did Curran not make it into the squad?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, May 26, 2021, 07:56:19 »

Surprised not to see Patrick Bamford not even selected provisionally. He's had a cracking season 17 or 18 goals I think.

Definitely ahead of Grealish, Greenwood, Sako and Watkins for me.

Southgate is on crack in that regard.

Ahead of Grealish?  Really?  You'd rather a player that would be 3rd choice at best in his position and very likely to hardly feature than a player who will start some matches? 

A player like Grealish is exactly what we have been in need of against the kind of opposition that will pack their own defensive 3rd and is an absolute shoe in for any England squad he is fit and available for, to leave him out for a benchwarmer is a preposterous suggestion.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, May 26, 2021, 08:06:53 »

The megabucks puts me off a smidgin.  But the extra quality, come the knock out stages, is something at which most fans of the game can only wonder.  I also enjoy the coming together of clubs from different nations and that applies to the World Cup and Euros also.

I barely watch the over-hyped Premiership, which leaves me under-informed and under-opinionated when it comes to selecting an England team.  Although I'd love England to do well, I have to confess I'd also love to see Curran play.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, May 26, 2021, 08:18:39 »

I barely watch the over-hyped Premiership

Curious about this and I’m not having a dig but why do you think it’s overhyped?

For me it’s comfortably the best league in the world and has been so for a couple of seasons now, although according to the likes of Sky it been that way for the past 25 years!

It’s a not a coincidence that the 2 of the last 3 CL finals have been all premier league affairs
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: