Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 44   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Holidays are Coming - Sponsored by 4D  (Read 86318 times)
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 10:18:56 »

Anyone done a Scottish road trip. Thinking of going up west coast then fort William to Inverness across to Peterhead then down the east coast. Looking at 2 to 3 weeks. Inverness is probably furthest north but if anyone has any good ideas I'm open to suggestions. Probably looking sept this year.

We’ve done a fair few road trips to Scotland over the years. I really would recommend going higher up on the West coast as it has the most stunning scenery, Ullapool, Torridon, Pass of the Cattle, Lochinver to name a few.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #271 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 10:21:07 »

Anyone done a Scottish road trip. Thinking of going up west coast then fort William to Inverness across to Peterhead then down the east coast. Looking at 2 to 3 weeks. Inverness is probably furthest north but if anyone has any good ideas I'm open to suggestions. Probably looking sept this year.
Been there many many time as BO says depending on the time of year midges really are an absolute nuisance.

Fort William is a great little town, the distillery there is great and go up "The Nevis" on the cable car some absolutely amazing views such as this when we went 2 years ago.

Drive down the side of Loch Lomond and Loch Ness they are stunning as is the drive along from Fort William to Mallaig (The road to the isles) and The Kyle of Lochalsh and onto Skye over the road bridge and explore the small but stunning Isle of Skye.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 10:22:36 »

I'd love to hire a nice car and do the north coast 500.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 10:25:44 »

We’ve done a fair few road trips to Scotland over the years. I really would recommend going higher up on the West coast as it has the most stunning scenery, Ullapool, Torridon, Pass of the Cattle, Lochinver to name a few.

I'd echo this. We stayed up in Sutherland and there is some beautiful scenery up there also.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #274 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 10:28:18 »

Having stayed on East and West several times I would suggest that don't bother too much with the East side of the country until you get further north than Inverness.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 11:23:55 »

Fort William is a great little town,

Suspect its changed a fair bit since I was last there 20 years back on a stag do, at that stage it was a bit of a one horse shit hole!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #276 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 11:25:50 »

Suspect its changed a fair bit since I was last there 20 years back on a stag do, at that stage it was a bit of a one horse shit hole!
There has been huge amounts of regeneration and updating in the last 10 years or so, massively since I first went there in 1980 when it was dirty and smelled of fish Smiley

chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 13:28:06 »

Thanks all. Might well carry on to Skye and above and do the east another time. Went to fort William about 40 years ago and thought it was quite nice. Nice drive from there to Inverness.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 22:51:07 »

I did a Camper van NC500 trip this year. Happy to share the itinerary (camp sites etc) if anyone thinks of doing it in the future.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2022, 01:09:54 »

I did a Camper van NC500 trip this year. Happy to share the itinerary (camp sites etc) if anyone thinks of doing it in the future.

Did you hire one? Fancy doing that
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Thursday, February 10, 2022, 09:50:42 »

I'd never heard of the NC500 until you mentioned it. Now I'm thinking this is the way to go with a week in the Orkneys to chill a bit. A week up to Orkneys, a week there and a week back.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Thursday, February 10, 2022, 12:08:43 »

Did you hire one? Fancy doing that
Yes, I rented from 'SwiftGo'. They were brilliant.

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Thursday, February 10, 2022, 12:21:07 »

I'd never heard of the NC500 until you mentioned it. Now I'm thinking this is the way to go with a week in the Orkneys to chill a bit. A week up to Orkneys, a week there and a week back.

I picked up the van inbetween Edinburgh and Glasgow and headed NW. I drove all up the west coast and all around Skye. The west coast is the most spectacularly beautiful part of the trip. The NW coast had some of the bluest sea and golden sand beaches. Could have been in the Caribbean if it was 10-15 degs warmer! The top was windswept and coming down the East I found the scenary 'softer'. I did it in 14 nights which was full on. But I wanted to get an overview of everything rather than spend time in one particular place.

donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Thursday, February 10, 2022, 22:26:58 »

A few years ago, went up the east coast,  hopped across top Orkney, then Durness, Duncansby Head, Cape Wrath, down to Arran, drove the road to Applecross (you gotta do that). Then back via a few other places.  I'll try to have a proper think next week, if you're interested.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Tuesday, March 1, 2022, 11:13:44 »

We are due to be going to Barcelona in April, anyone been to Spain recently?

Just wondered whet the current rules & restrictions are.

Aware that it'a a month away so could change dramatically by then.

Cheers in Advance
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 44   Go Up
Print
Jump to: