Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 44   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Holidays are Coming - Sponsored by 4D  (Read 86186 times)
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 19:19:31 »

Anyone been on a road trip to Italy? Thinking of the Amalfi Coast or any other suggestions?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 19:28:05 »

Anyone been on a road trip to Italy? Thinking of the Amalfi Coast or any other suggestions?

Wasn't a road trip as such (although the journey from Naples Airport to Amalfi was interesting as the taxi got a flat tyre) but we went to a wedding in Amalfi and its stunning around there.
« Last Edit: Monday, February 7, 2022, 20:24:52 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 20:18:46 »

sounds bloody marvelous
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 21:16:55 »

We stayed just outside of sorrento a couple of years ago. Beautiful part of the world, not sure I’d be brave enough to drive in it though

Things get better but they never get good
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 00:59:16 »

I've been to Milan and Rome over the years, fancy trying the Amalfi coast. Yes, I would not consider driving over there. Smiley
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 07:58:54 »

Why not drive?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 08:29:39 »

My taxi ride in Rome was like GTA5  Smiley
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 08:32:22 by 4D » Logged
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 08:47:26 »

Why not drive?

Narrow winding roads and aggressive local motorists mainly

Things get better but they never get good
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #263 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 08:48:05 »

Best time to best time for driving the Amalfi Coast is April and very early May or late October into November. Most people will do  alerno to Sorrento  so that you are closer to the cliff rather than the edge.

Apopular option is Sorrento – Positano – Amalfi – Ravello – Vietri sul Mare

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 09:01:40 »

Not done the Amalfi but did our honeymoon in Tuscany and drove a fair bit, albeit for the longer distances to the hotspots (Lucca/Florence/Viareggio) we tended to use the trains (which are fine but ignore the urban myth that they al run on time!).

As noted by everyone else the driving over there is absolutely mental not helped as a tourist by the road signage which is equally insane. In Tuscany at least they seem to work on the principle that if you follow any road you can get to anywhere so for  instance on leaving Pisa airport in the hire car the people who we rented the accommodation from said just initially follow signs to Lucca, but the first junction we came to had Lucca literally signposted in every direction. Once you get that sorted you are in with a chance, plus these days Google maps is much better!
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 09:59:27 »

Anyone done a Scottish road trip. Thinking of going up west coast then fort William to Inverness across to Peterhead then down the east coast. Looking at 2 to 3 weeks. Inverness is probably furthest north but if anyone has any good ideas I'm open to suggestions. Probably looking sept this year.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 10:09:53 »

Anyone done a Scottish road trip. Thinking of going up west coast then fort William to Inverness across to Peterhead then down the east coast. Looking at 2 to 3 weeks. Inverness is probably furthest north but if anyone has any good ideas I'm open to suggestions. Probably looking sept this year.

Watch out for the midges!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #267 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 10:11:40 »

Watch out for the midges!
Harsh mate, harsh, hes a lovely bloke.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 10:13:40 »

Harsh mate, harsh, hes a lovely bloke.

He certainly is!! Smiley

You are more likely to see him in Austria though I would have thought?

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 10:16:06 »

We've been toying with the idea of doing the north coast 500 (on push bikes) albeit not sure I would want to do it in a vehicle as its apparently awash with slow moving camper vans!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 44   Go Up
Print
Jump to: