Poll
Question: Following Clem Morfuni's letter "to clarify his position in relation to the club", do you:
Trust what he says and believe he is the man to turn the club around - 8 (8.7%)
Give him the benefit of the doubt (nothing can be worse than LP) - 50 (54.3%)
Sit on the fence for now and see what happens next - 26 (28.3%)
Feel suspicious of his motives and how he has conducted himself so far - 7 (7.6%)
Think he is on the make and should be avoided at all costs - 1 (1.1%)
Total Voters: 81

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Do you trust Clem Morfuni?  (Read 24635 times)
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 16:27:55 »

I’d love to be wrong but don’t reckon the old Goddard covenant would stand up if someone really wanted to legally get over it.

I don't know anything about the covenant(s) in question but would be interested to hear the detail on how you formed that view.

Nothing to see here
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 16:45:11 »

There is a stipulation on the land deeds from when it was it was handed over to the council that the land could only be used for sporting and recreational use if I remember rightly. So housing developers would have a hard job on that front..
It's a covenant with the Goddard Trust. If they can be persuaded to waive it, e.g. because a suitable alternative has been provided, then it needn't be an obstacle.

Trying to purchase the cricket pitch would be harder than getting rid of Power
When we looked at this 15 years ago as part of the Trust's plans to redevelop the County Ground, the cricket club were amenable in principle to a move provided a suitable alternative site could be provided. That might not still hold of course and identifying a suitable alternative site might be harder now than it would have been then (plus I suspect some wrangling over what constitutes "suitable") but it's possibly not as set in stone as you imagine.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 16:47:40 »

Similar to 20 years ago when trying to find suitable land to build a new stadium all of the desired plots have now gone. Wasn't there also a sticking point removing the protected pavilion even if they could find somewhere for a new cricket pitch?

So, give no fucks
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 16:53:36 »

It's a covenant with the Goddard Trust. If they can be persuaded to waive it, e.g. because a suitable alternative has been provided, then it needn't be an obstacle.

An express release should be given by everyone with the benefit of the covenant.  I assume that this can be identified here.

Nothing to see here
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 17:30:56 »

Similar to 20 years ago when trying to find suitable land to build a new stadium all of the desired plots have now gone. Wasn't there also a sticking point removing the protected pavilion even if they could find somewhere for a new cricket pitch?
No
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 17:33:13 »

No

I never knew that so if that's the case you would think moving the cricket pitch would be relatively easy

So, give no fucks
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 17:36:52 »

I never knew that so if that's the case you would think moving the cricket pitch would be relatively easy
Sorry I should have been clearer, there is a sticking point in that the pavilion would need to be relocated and reconstructed at any new site, which isn't with some cost and hassle, but it's not necessarily a blocker (or wasn't thought to be back then). Finding a suitable site was thought then to be likely to be more problematic. But I should stress this was all very theoretical and didn't get beyond the stage of "In principle, would this be something you'd find doable" and the approach from the cricket club seemed to be "In principle, maybe. Come back to us with something concrete and we'll look at it". And as I say, feelings may have changed since then
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 17:39:46 »

Sorry I should have been clearer, there is a sticking point in that the pavilion would need to be relocated and reconstructed at any new site, which isn't with some cost and hassle, but it's not necessarily a blocker (or wasn't thought to be back then). Finding a suitable site was thought then to be likely to be more problematic. But I should stress this was all very theoretical and didn't get beyond the stage of "In principle, would this be something you'd find doable" and the approach from the cricket club seemed to be "In principle, maybe. Come back to us with something concrete and we'll look at it". And as I say, feelings may have changed since then

Thanks for clarifying as I vaguely remember moving the pavilion stand was quite complex.
Over by me Tadpole Garden Village have a cricket pitch ear marked in the plans and it would fit perfectly on the common there

So, give no fucks
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 17:43:50 »

Thanks for clarifying as I vaguely remember moving the pavilion stand was quite complex.
Over by me Tadpole Garden Village have a cricket pitch ear marked in the plans and it would fit perfectly on the common there
Not sure you'd get away with that as you'd still be losing green space (i.e. where you used to have two cricket pitches, or land earmarked for cricket pitches, you'd now only have one), but I may be wrong. It's certainly not a trivial undertaking either to find the land in a suitable location (and with suitable access etc) or to move the pavilion.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 17:46:15 »

Not sure you'd get away with that as you'd still be losing green space (i.e. where you used to have two cricket pitches, or land earmarked for cricket pitches, you'd now only have one), but I may be wrong. It's certainly not a trivial undertaking either to find the land in a suitable location (and with suitable access etc) or to move the pavilion.

Knowing Swindon well im struggling to think of any other suitable green space so it's hard to see it ever moving

So, give no fucks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 18:14:57 »

Knowing Swindon well im struggling to think of any other suitable green space so it's hard to see it ever moving

The 15 year ago discussions Paul is referencing I think the alternative was the old Allied Dunbar site
at Wanborough, which the football club used to train on to.

The theoretics behind it being the club could purchase the plot, continue to train there and relocate the Cricket Club there. I believe the site was up for sale at the time.

Now it’s PGL I believe
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 18:17:12 »

The 15 year ago discussions Paul is referencing I think the alternative was the old Allied Dunbar site
at Wanborough, which the football club used to train on to.

The theoretics behind it being the club could purchase the plot, continue to train there and relocate the Cricket Club there. I believe the site was up for sale at the time.

Now it’s PGL I believe

I know the site well and would have been a great acquisition if the club had purchased it as it was easy to get to and in an idyllic setting

So, give no fucks
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 18:30:18 »

Thinking long term and with the hindsight of the last fifty years or so since we sold off the old training ground and SN1 back to the council, we have lurched from well meaning owners to dubious shysters.

Going forward, if the club is going to prosper, it has to be off & on the pitch and also outside the playing season. So having accepted that you then have to put ourselves at the mercy of people with the money to make it happen. The trust, well meaning and intentioned as it is and I believe they are, have limited resources to make things happen. Indeed, having a fifty percent stake on the freehold (as it currently stands with Power) could still be an impediment to having a successful and self sustaining club we all crave.

To have a sustainable and successful championship club the minimum capacity IMHO would be 30,000. Having that size of a stadium would then enable the club to have decent out of season concerts with A list bands amongst other money spinning events to help finance this aspiration. I’ll go further. To achieve everything we as a collective desire, the purchase of the cricket ground and what I know as the CG extension is a must. Car parking is pivotal (forget the environment lobby, well all be in electric cars before long and still need the roads and parking) and that takes space, of course the northern park & ride could come out of mothball to help. As mentioned earlier having the railway station on the doorstep is a massive asset.

So it matters not whether you ‘trust’ Clem & Axis or not, we’ll all have to put our faith in anyone with the money, vision and wherewithal to make it happen. Our saving grace is the sporting covenant on the site in the first place. That is both a blessing and in some ways a curse.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 18:40:09 »

Franchise seemingly have everything in place 30000 stadium, rich owner and a massive catchment but the still can't make it work to the delight of most football supporters

So, give no fucks
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 18:40:44 »

car park aint part of the stadium - unless you want to buy that off the council as well
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: