Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town history  (Read 11570 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I知 A Scientist.

« Reply #30 on: Monday, July 19, 2021, 16:40:44 »

Kovar was bad, but still think Lanzano was worse
I think he was very close, but I think for amount of goals cost then Kovar wins as he was constantantly bad over a longer period of games.

Lanzano conceded 10 goals in 6 starts and 1 sub, keeping 3 clean sheets. An average of 1.4 goals per game. IIRC Lanzano was probably at fault for 3 of the goals he conceded.

Kovar conceded 43 goals in 18 games keeping just 1 clean sheet. An average of 2.4 goals per game. I would think that you could fault Kovar directly for at least 12 goals conceded.

But it is a bit like entering a competition to see whos shit stinks more.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, July 19, 2021, 17:37:18 »

I think he was very close, but I think for amount of goals cost then Kovar wins as he was constantantly bad over a longer period of games.

Lanzano conceded 10 goals in 6 starts and 1 sub, keeping 3 clean sheets. An average of 1.4 goals per game. IIRC Lanzano was probably at fault for 3 of the goals he conceded.

Kovar conceded 43 goals in 18 games keeping just 1 clean sheet. An average of 2.4 goals per game. I would think that you could fault Kovar directly for at least 12 goals conceded.

But it is a bit like entering a competition to see whos shit stinks more.

Kovar was clearly out of his depth but there were a number of factors that contributed to that. I'm going from memory here but I'm pretty sure he wasn't directly responsible for 12 goals.

He was beaten on his near post on a few occasions at the start of the season & I specifically remember him coming for, & subsequently missing, punches against Plymouth & Lincoln that cost us goals but 12 seems a bit much. Might be wrong though.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #32 on: Monday, July 19, 2021, 17:42:13 »

He was beaten on his near post on a few occasions at the start of the season & I specifically remember him coming for, & subsequently missing, punches against Plymouth & Lincoln that cost us goals but 12 seems a bit much. Might be wrong though.
I could be wrong but I do remember it being a lot of goals he should have done way better, 12 maybe too many but off the top of my head I would think its about right, but I may be wrong.

He was still an awful keeper though I think we can all agree on that Smiley

Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2021, 08:30:57 »

This appeared on my Twitter feed this morning .  We won it 2-0 apparently. Smiley

https://twitter.com/BlackRetirement/status/1420293111448801281?s=20
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2021, 09:55:15 »

I still remember that Hereford (RIP) game at home where Lanzano was fucking awful, my mate at uni who was a Hereford fan came with me, and insisted he'd be fine in the Town End, then when the 3-3 equaliser went in I had to fucking stomp on his feet to stop him from celebrating and getting us both killed 
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 08:45:02 »

Bit of trivia. No googling!

When we got to the League Cup Semi Final in 1979 v Wolves who were the team Wolves had to beat to get there?
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 10:04:38 »

Without cheating I don't know but on the morning of the rearranged home tie I went for a job interview whilst still at school and ended up watching the Wolves squad training behind the Stratton bank on the waterlooged grass and can still visualise George Berry jogging with the ball at his feet. Later on that evening whilst queuing up outside the bank I realised I had lost my ticket or had it pinched and was on my way home when a tout offered me one outside the old souvenir shop.

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman

« Reply #37 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 10:18:55 »

When we got to the League Cup Semi Final in 1979 v Wolves who were the team Wolves had to beat to get there?
TBH I don't remember, I do remember they played Forest in the final though.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #38 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 10:21:18 »

Talking of history this story came up on one of my friends (the Swindon rail works author Rosa Matheson) page on Facebook which is interesting.

I would like to contact Rosa Matheson about someone who worked at the Swindon Works in the late 19th century after having served an apprenticeship under his father.

Oliver Budge went on to work on the railways in Argentina almost until his death in 1909. In 1897 he founded the Victoria Park Football Club in Concordia and as they approach the 125 anniversary of this, they are looking for some way to acknowledge the link with Swindon which they value because of Mr Budge.

I have contacted Swindon Town FC and the Adver.. and hope for a nice feature story..

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 10:21:30 »

Took a peek. Won't say but surprised.
Wolves needed 3 games to see them off.
I guess they were a decent tier 2 team back then.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
AMayesIng

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 10:22:06 »

Without cheating I don't know but on the morning of the rearranged home tie I went for a job interview whilst still at school and ended up watching the Wolves squad training behind the Stratton bank on the waterlooged grass and can still visualise George Berry jogging with the ball at his feet. Later on that evening whilst queuing up outside the bank I realised I had lost my ticket or had it pinched and was on my way home when a tout offered me one outside the old souvenir shop.
Was it the same ticket?
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 10:24:13 »

I'll never know but the turnstiles at the bank to the old souvenir shop by the County ground pub were quite far apart so highly unlikely😀

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman

« Reply #42 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 10:30:54 »

Took a peek. Won't say but surprised.
Wolves needed 3 games to see them off.
I guess they were a decent tier 2 team back then.
Now you mention it wasnt it the brothers Grim? I vaguely remember Saint and Greavsie saying it could be an all Div 3 Semi final.

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 10:38:18 »

Now you mention it wasnt it the brothers Grim? I vaguely remember Saint and Greavsie saying it could be an all Div 3 Semi final.

I'll leave it to Audrey to confirm if correct.
Didn't Alan Buckley score loads against us?

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #44 on: Saturday, December 11, 2021, 10:41:30 »

I'll leave it to Audrey to confirm if correct.
Didn't Alan Buckley score loads against us?
His was the first name that popped in my head when I thought about the Grims, not sure he ever didnt score against us for Grims or Walsall. A thorn in our side.

EDIT, had a check he scored 9 goals in 12 starts against us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: