Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town history  (Read 11567 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I知 A Scientist.

« Reply #15 on: Sunday, July 18, 2021, 13:03:54 »

I don't remember this away shirt from 1980
Prety sure we wore that when we played at Rotherham when Alan Mayes scored a hattrick on his Swindon debut in the 79 season.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, July 18, 2021, 13:05:37 »

Good memories JJ I can't remember seeing us play in that shirt

* IMG_3809.PNG (172.9 KB, 1528x1064 - viewed 243 times.)
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 18, 2021, 13:10:39 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman

« Reply #17 on: Sunday, July 18, 2021, 13:10:36 »

Good memories JJ I can't remember seeing us play in that shirt
We never wore it much as it was basically only away games at teams in red (obviously) and red and white stripes like lincoln, they werent so hot on making teams wear the change colour back then.

I probably only say us wear it 2 or 3 times ever and had forgotten it until you mentioned it.

Swindon-Town-FC.co.uk

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, July 18, 2021, 17:01:06 »

Alan Mayes was wearing a Rotherham away kit when he scored that hat-trick - we started the game in a white kit with a red sash, that the ref then ordered us to change because it was too similar to the home shirts.  It happened more than once with that kit during that season.

The Adidas kits weren't worn until halfway through the following season - presumably we did some kind of kit deal with Adidas because we were doing so well in the cups.  Here's some video evidence of us wearing the blue one!

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, July 18, 2021, 17:05:54 »

I still can't remember it and thanks for posting the video

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman

« Reply #20 on: Monday, July 19, 2021, 08:58:30 »

Alan Mayes was wearing a Rotherham away kit when he scored that hat-trick - we started the game in a white kit with a red sash, that the ref then ordered us to change because it was too similar to the home shirts.  It happened more than once with that kit during that season.

The Adidas kits weren't worn until halfway through the following season - presumably we did some kind of kit deal with Adidas because we were doing so well in the cups.  Here's some video evidence of us wearing the blue one!

Cheers for the clarification I just remember Rotherham away being something wierd shirt wise.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, July 19, 2021, 09:21:00 »

Can't help but thinking after watching that video that we might be seeing a few games like that for us this season sadly. (aside from the blue strip)

The Sheffield United fans were singing you'll never walk alone which I thought was unusual.

Also, good to see the spirit of Kovar in our keeper! (I know it's a tired, strained trope, but I went there so sue me!)

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #22 on: Monday, July 19, 2021, 10:03:31 »

Can't help but thinking after watching that video that we might be seeing a few games like that for us this season sadly. (aside from the blue strip)

The Sheffield United fans were singing you'll never walk alone which I thought was unusual.

Also, good to see the spirit of Kovar in our keeper! (I know it's a tired, strained trope, but I went there so sue me!)
Peach Rollings and Greenwood were 3 of the worst players I have seen play for Town, and all cost us money from 1st or 2nd division teams!

Jimmy Allan in goal though is up there witht eh best keepers I have seen at Swindon ironically, every player can have 1 bad game Smiley

Also EVERY team including Swindon used to sing "You'll never walk alone" at games back then, it was en vogue.

Cheltred

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, July 19, 2021, 15:39:11 »

Peach Rollings and Greenwood were 3 of the worst players I have seen play for Town, and all cost us money from 1st or 2nd division teams!

Jimmy Allan in goal though is up there witht eh best keepers I have seen at Swindon ironically, every player can have 1 bad game Smiley

Also EVERY team including Swindon used to sing "You'll never walk alone" at games back then, it was en vogue.
I can't argue about those 3. Peach was a massive flop, apart from the free kick at Brentford that got us a draw. I think Rollings was part of the deal when we sold McHale and was crap
Peter Venkman

« Reply #24 on: Monday, July 19, 2021, 15:41:26 »

I can't argue about those 3. Peach was a massive flop, apart from the free kick at Brentford that got us a draw. I think Rollings was part of the deal when we sold McHale and was crap
McHale being sold effectively tore the heart out of that team.

Cheltred

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, July 19, 2021, 15:54:45 »

McHale being sold effectively tore the heart out of that team.
True, we never replaced him
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, July 19, 2021, 16:01:35 »

surely you never slept through Kovars.episode's.  40 years of watching Town and never seen a bigger flop.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #27 on: Monday, July 19, 2021, 16:03:13 »

surely you never slept through Kovars.episode's.  40 years of watching Town and never seen a bigger flop.
I don't count Kovar as being a player even, TBH Kovar is probably the worst keeper I have seen at Swindon bar none, but its very easy to make up a side of shocking players, last season could account for almost half that team.

Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, July 19, 2021, 16:14:42 »

I don't count Kovar as being a player even, TBH Kovar is probably the worst keeper I have seen at Swindon bar none, but its very easy to make up a side of shocking players, last season could account for almost half that team.

Kovar was bad, but still think Lanzano was worse
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, July 19, 2021, 16:38:01 »

Kovar was bad, but still think Lanzano was worse

Perhaps, but at least Lanzano we cottoned on quickly and he only made five starts. And we won three of them!

Difference being back then the other keeper was Phil Smith (and later Foderingham) rather than Joe Fryer...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: