Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: John Sheridan  (Read 13949 times)
Cheltred

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 15:24:17 »

Even now the 79-80 season is my all time favourite season as a Town fan, so many great memories in just one 10 months period, an incredible time to be a Town fan and being 13/14 at the time they will live long in my memory.

As you say the rise under Macari is next best, winning the clubs first ever league title at Mansfield and then being 90 mins away from Division 1 in the play offs at Palace.

I have never totted up my matches but I am probably at least 1,500+ by now too having started going in 74.

You are right, its the ride and not the destination.

EDIT: did a calculation and its 1,252 matches for me +165 iFollow games ( +53 Sky/BBC/ITV live games which I couldnt attend in person).
I enjoyed 2/3 of the 79-80 season. I even got over the semi final defeat but the falling away in the League was hard to take. That season convinced me of one thing - it is better to have the points on the board than games in hand.
I know McMahon wasn't popular (and not surprising) but I enjoyed that season we went up to  whatever it was called (1st div?) as champions. We made a good start (something we rarely do) and there never seemed much doubt we'd go up automatically.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #31 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 15:26:36 »

I'm pretty sure he said that a few weeks ago?
Maybe yeah, also today
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 15:31:11 »

I'm pretty sure he said that a few weeks ago?

He said something about how if he was an amazing manager he wouldn’t be in league 1. So similar really, this one feels a bit more of a direct dig at swindon to me though
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 15:47:48 »

He said something about how if he was an amazing manager he wouldn’t be in league 1.

He's got a point.....
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 17:55:10 »

He's got a point.....

He is right....but i question the timing!

Clems Army!
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 20:30:23 »

Its an arrogant comment, and you have to question his judgment. Premier League aside, there are just over 70 managerial jobs in football. There are a lot of talented, motivated men, who would absolutely kill for the opportunity to be a football league manager. So, if he can’t pluck up the enthusiasm to give a toss, I’d rather see someone that does given a chance.  But we’ve heard all of this from his other clubs. Just seems a thoroughly miserable bloke without a care for the fans of the clubs he manages. You have to question what motivates him. Or maybe he isn’t all that motivated.
« Last Edit: Friday, December 18, 2020, 20:31:54 by Frigby Daser » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #36 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 09:55:38 »

The comment was a reasonable one - albeit poorly phrased.

The reaction to it has been fucking cringeworthy. I'm glad I avoided STFC discussion for the week.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 10:19:03 »

I agree. Just being honest, I reckon. At least he’s not making out he’s some sort of messiah. If he keeps us in L1 - job done and thanks very much.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 10:56:31 »

The comment was a reasonable one - albeit poorly phrased.

The reaction to it has been fucking cringeworthy. I'm glad I avoided STFC discussion for the week.

Couldn’t disagree more. If you underperform in your job, do you use the excuse that if you were any good, you’d own the business, or work in a bigger business? No, you try and do better. The right response to underperforming is not to say “I’m average, deal with it.”
Flashheart

« Reply #39 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 10:58:27 »

Couldn’t disagree more. If you underperform in your job, do you use the excuse that if you were any good, you’d own the business, or work in a bigger business? No, you try and do better. The right response to underperforming is not to say “I’m average, deal with it.”

I can't even be bothered to argue.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 11:45:17 »

I can't even be bothered to argue.
C'mon FH, that's not like you.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 12:06:49 »

The question posed to Sheridan was ‘How important is success to you, baring in mind your record at Chesterfield?’ who then replied with ‘Of course success is important, if I was winning every game I wouldn’t be at Swindon. That’s being realistic, not being disrespectful’.

It's a clumsy response but I'm not going to flap/dwell over it too much.

I think it's one of those conversations that won't sway somebody from their point of view and that's fine because this is relatively 'small fry' within the world of Swindon Town and indeed the tenure of John Sheridan.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 12:23:41 »

Likewise, not losing sleep over this. It’s just symptomatic of the mediocrity and lack of care that seems to have set in.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Saturday, December 19, 2020, 12:25:13 »

Sheridan isn't that media savvy/friendly.

more concerned what he does with the team that what he says. which so far is 2 derby victories and bugger all else
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, December 20, 2020, 23:13:01 »

I think John Sheridan has done a decent job since coming in... He's arrived into a squad low on confidence, low on squad numbers, the former manager gave up and decided to do one because he knew if he stayed - the ship sinking on his CV wouldn't look good.

Grounds and Baudry making mistakes left right and centre, dropped Kovar for a game - Fryers hashed his opportunity and Kovar turned the corner. Beat Rovers, beat Oxford by recognising something that has been evident all season in our awful final third play. Tried various things, rotated the squad where he can, tinkered with the formation to shore up our defence and whilst we might not be there yet, having Conroy and Zeki back in the squad immediately has made a difference.

Yes, we do have some flaws that we're working through but for the last 3 games, the team has been growing in confidence and style of play. I really think if we continue with our trajectory, we can start pushing up the table. We've got a decent team that when it plays to its strengths, we can win more games than we lose. Wellens was right about one thing... We're only 1 or 2 players away from being a playoff challenging team.

No matter what circumstances Sheridan has been brought in under, his lack of PR and poor tone and way of wording things...  The Robins are on the rise! Bring on Portsmouth!

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: