Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 ... 137   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager Thread  (Read 225681 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #1080 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 13:05:30 »

Interesting to read people blaming RW. He keeps us up with this squad and their current fitness situation (rather than the horror show he was dealing with). At least he'd motivate them, and us as a fan base.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #1081 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 13:20:35 »

I completely agree with the thoughts of the end result problems but I have zero doubt there will be reasons and thoughts to why it happens, that we do not know and probs never will. One thing that really bugs me about the Radio Wiltshire post-match interviews, they constantly shy away from asking the direct questions that we all want the answers for. Of course, all media is the same and it's far too respectfully polite. However, from my experience when understanding the business or tactical decisions, there is always logic to the madness no matter how crazy it may look. It's very rarely walking in complete blindness to the obvious but to me, there is a very evident balance of risk in all the decisions and whilst I don't agree with some of the line ups and positions players are in, the basic foundation is that we just don't know all the facts or the context to understand the decisions being made.

The results so far are not looking great but as I said before, change takes time and we should be giving the club and the management time to implement the changes. We still have time and a handful of cards to play... I highly doubt anyone in the clubs wants to see us lose week in week out. From my viewpoint, all we can do is keep the faith that we're in for an interesting transfer window where hopefully we'll come out stronger!

you would think that there is logic to every decision and yes it would be good to hear why he keeps doing these things and not changing.

but that could be applied to every single managers job and no one would ever get criticism from fans if we all thought there might be behind the scenes reasons so give slack.

some managers dont fit and he has shown me no reason to see why he will eventually fit considering it's a short time contract and hes a dinosaur of the football world. this isnt a young manager starting out and if it was a might be more aligned to your thinking.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1082 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 13:21:57 »

Made my day in realising what a small world it is. No idea of who you actually are DV but I must have seen you around in the years at the very least if you played at Abbey Meads, knew Big Dave and Ben Wells. It was a team that Dave and I set up playing in the Abbey Meads before I stepped away and he carried on. Big Dave and I were in the same Primary School class as Ben Wells too and dominated the Sports Day races on all distances. That kid could run like a racehorse and sad he never made the cut in football!

Fond memories now!

The team when we played them was Dave, Ben, Nigel, Stephen and Sam for what I remember. Those names might mean something to you. They were definitely called ‘Witness the Fitness’ at one point but think that changed. We are talking 10-15 years ago now.

There was an away game in the 03/04 season and I’m racking my brains as to which one it was (I have Brentford in my head) - you were sat across the isle from me on the supports coach. You were with BJ (again someone I only know of in passing from football) and Steve Collins who still occasionally posts on here under a different name now.

So, I don’t think our paths have ever properly crossed but I’ve got a very good memory for names and faces. Which on occasion makes me sound extremely stalkerish
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 13:24:40 by DV Canio » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1083 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 13:35:45 »

Interesting to read people blaming RW. He keeps us up with this squad and their current fitness situation (rather than the horror show he was dealing with). At least he'd motivate them, and us as a fan base.
It's a little from column A, a little from column B for me. Wellens has to share some of the blame as it is his squad. But clearly it's not the squad he actually wanted, and you have to wonder how different the picture would look with a proper first choice keeper (I suspect Kovar was always planned as backup/pushing first choice for a start), if he'd landed Yates and kept hold of Doughty. But he didn't and the team looked unbalanced and disjointed before he left. Equally, Sheridan hasn't exactly turned things round since he came in. Granted, he's been dealt a poor hand to play but he's not played it well.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1084 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 14:42:54 »

Been dealt a poor hand and then dropped the cards  Roll Eyes
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #1085 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 16:33:55 »

Please don't patronise posters who take the time to set out their thinking in detail.  The manager debate is not black/white, and none of these points deserve ridicule.

Ahh far from it Ardiles, I wasn't ridiculing or patronising him/her. I was genuinely interested as FDB seemed fairly positive compared to many that post on here (and elsewhere). I was really just trying to point out (from my own point of view) what  FDB might not be seeing with regards to their positive outlook. I did go on to say that I too am usually deemed too positive here at times. At no pint was I trying to patronise or ridicule though.

It appeared to me that FDB is a younger poster so the positivity would be more understanding (I refer back to my "An Ode to Those Who Have Seen it All Before" post), whereas if a lot older, most have seen more than enough over the years to know what might be coming. I was highlighting this but it was never meant to downplay FDB.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #1086 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 16:47:04 »

So you don't read Bambi's posts either?  Smiley

I thought similar Smiley no offence Boo!

Haha, I spat my tea out  Cheesy No offence taken. And to reiterate, I wasn't trying to come across as patronising or ridiculing of FDB. Seems like a good chap but it is clear that some of us have seen far too much too be overly positive about the current state of affairs. I very much used to be like that. I hope that their positivity last much longer than mine. Being on the TEF won't help  Wink

Also, forgot to say yesterday, keep bloody well save JJ. You genuinely are a top bloke. Happy New Year ya barstarddd Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

That Nestor Lorenzo Heade

« Reply #1087 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 17:06:53 »

He often shops in Bath, so he can’t be too far away.

He lives in Northend, just outside Bath.  Just down the road from me so would be very handy for lift shares etc.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #1088 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 17:20:07 »

He lives in Northend, just outside Bath.  Just down the road from me so would be very handy for lift shares etc.

I'm sure he would oblige too 

'Incessant Nonsense'

Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #1089 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 17:20:29 »

The team when we played them was Dave, Ben, Nigel, Stephen and Sam for what I remember. Those names might mean something to you. They were definitely called ‘Witness the Fitness’ at one point but think that changed. We are talking 10-15 years ago now.

There was an away game in the 03/04 season and I’m racking my brains as to which one it was (I have Brentford in my head) - you were sat across the isle from me on the supports coach. You were with BJ (again someone I only know of in passing from football) and Steve Collins who still occasionally posts on here under a different name now.

So, I don’t think our paths have ever properly crossed but I’ve got a very good memory for names and faces. Which on occasion makes me sound extremely stalkerish

Yeah, I think that team was formed after I stopped playing in the teams. A very long time ago now!

If you're thinking about Brentford, that would have been 20th December 2003. The last game before Christmas where I was right behind the goal with a Santa hat that when you pressed the bobble, it flipped flopped back and forth... In the 2nd half there was a small group of us that verbally abused their goalkeeper to shreds and got into his head, he started making mistakes and we won the game 2-0. Christ, I miss those types of away games. Same groups of Swindon fans forming together like an army and making every voice heard. Long may it return sooner rather than later!

you would think that there is logic to every decision and yes it would be good to hear why he keeps doing these things and not changing.

but that could be applied to every single managers job and no one would ever get criticism from fans if we all thought there might be behind the scenes reasons so give slack.

some managers dont fit and he has shown me no reason to see why he will eventually fit considering it's a short time contract and hes a dinosaur of the football world. this isnt a young manager starting out and if it was a might be more aligned to your thinking.

Yeah, I understand your point and I think it's fair to say we can agree to disagree on that point. Whilst you might have made up your mind, the jury is still out for me.

Ahh far from it Ardiles, I wasn't ridiculing or patronising him/her. I was genuinely interested as FDB seemed fairly positive compared to many that post on here (and elsewhere). I was really just trying to point out (from my own point of view) what  FDB might not be seeing with regards to their positive outlook. I did go on to say that I too am usually deemed too positive here at times. At no pint was I trying to patronise or ridicule though.

It appeared to me that FDB is a younger poster so the positivity would be more understanding (I refer back to my "An Ode to Those Who Have Seen it All Before" post), whereas if a lot older, most have seen more than enough over the years to know what might be coming. I was highlighting this but it was never meant to downplay FDB.

It's nice to be considered young these days. Forever young at heart hahah.

I've witnessed years of the same showers of shit in all colours and flavours in nearly 20 years but I guess my perspective is more along the lines of taking a bit of a step back and see the bigger picture. If it wasn't for Power, we'd have been fucked in the ringhole even harder by Jed the crook and probs sold the Stratton Bank to Oxford for a tenner if he could.

We've had many dark days over many years and guess what, we're still here, we're still fighting for survival. We'll keep going through this sticky mud and some good days will return soon. Change and hard times isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes it has to get worst before things get better. Maybe the difference over the years is that I've adjusted to let all the bullshit nonsense wash over me like water off a duck's back?

As long as there is a team to support each match day, can anyone really ask for much more than that at the moment?

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #1090 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 17:36:06 »

Think we'd all be happy with a team to still support. Btw, if you're under 40 you'll be considered a mere twinkle in Audrey/Normy/Reg's eye. Not that all of them are that old, just some come across as older than they are. I don't think Reg is quite as old as he plays piper to. Normy certainly is one of the genuine "old boys" I'm certain of. Audrey is Audrey. He loves me really  Wink

Now I'm coming across a bit like DV in that my assessment/understanding of people's ages I don't know irl, seems a little stalkerish.

Happy New Year. King Ollie to march us on to the POs with a back line of Curran, Darren Ward, Yinka Casal and Milan Misun  Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #1091 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 17:45:30 »

He lives in Northend, just outside Bath.  Just down the road from me so would be very handy for lift shares etc.
He’s a joker, in a good way and the game could do with more like him. I once caught the train out of Temple Meads going north, probably 10 years ago. Holloway was sat (not in first class..) across the aisle from me. Thought about striking up conversation and decided against it, but I had to laugh when he stopped the trolley and asked for some crisps. When he was told how much they cost, he said “how much?!, no thanks then”.

I think he was managing Blackpool in the top flight at the time!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1092 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 17:54:04 »

He’s a joker, in a good way and the game could do with more like him. I once caught the train out of Temple Meads going north, probably 10 years ago. Holloway was sat (not in first class..) across the aisle from me. Thought about striking up conversation and decided against it, but I had to laugh when he stopped the trolley and asked for some crisps. When he was told how much they cost, he said “how much?!, no thanks then”.

I think he was managing Blackpool in the top flight at the time!

Good story Fraser and it goes to show how wealthy you are everyone has a budget😁

So, give no fucks
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1093 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 17:54:59 »

Does he still have a small holding as I know he was abit of farmer years ago!

So, give no fucks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1094 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 21:12:45 »

Yeah, I think that team was formed after I stopped playing in the teams. A very long time ago now!

If you're thinking about Brentford, that would have been 20th December 2003. The last game before Christmas where I was right behind the goal with a Santa hat that when you pressed the bobble, it flipped flopped back and forth... In the 2nd half there was a small group of us that verbally abused their goalkeeper to shreds and got into his head, he started making mistakes and we won the game 2-0. Christ, I miss those types of away games. Same groups of Swindon fans forming together like an army and making every voice heard. Long may it return sooner rather than later!

Yeah, I understand your point and I think it's fair to say we can agree to disagree on that point. Whilst you might have made up your mind, the jury is still out for me.

It's nice to be considered young these days. Forever young at heart hahah.

I've witnessed years of the same showers of shit in all colours and flavours in nearly 20 years but I guess my perspective is more along the lines of taking a bit of a step back and see the bigger picture. If it wasn't for Power, we'd have been fucked in the ringhole even harder by Jed the crook and probs sold the Stratton Bank to Oxford for a tenner if he could.

We've had many dark days over many years and guess what, we're still here, we're still fighting for survival. We'll keep going through this sticky mud and some good days will return soon. Change and hard times isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes it has to get worst before things get better. Maybe the difference over the years is that I've adjusted to let all the bullshit nonsense wash over me like water off a duck's back?

As long as there is a team to support each match day, can anyone really ask for much more than that at the moment?

Yeah definitely Brentford.
We wore that disgusting black and mustard kit.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 ... 137   Go Up
Print
Jump to: