Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 ... 137   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager Thread  (Read 225613 times)
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #1065 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 10:10:06 »

Coterill has got Shrewsbury up to 16th in the league with the same players!
Somebody suggested him when Wellens walked and got shot down in flames - looks like it was a good appointment for the other STFC
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1066 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 10:13:19 »

Somebody suggested him when Wellens walked and got shot down in flames - looks like it was a good appointment for the other STFC

I agree Ronnie he would have been a good local appointment but too many won't forget his anger after we beat City at the County ground

So, give no fucks
REDBUCK

« Reply #1067 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 10:19:45 »

He's been a good choice at this level for years now, we've had more than a couple of opportunities.

I've always thought he'd be a good fit.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1068 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 10:27:25 »

Let’s get real. There isn’t going to be any new manager this season. Wellens left because he knew he wouldn’t be supported in recruitment. Sheridan rocked up as he was guaranteed a wage until the end of the season. At Wigan he was on a month to month contract and when their takeover was finalised he’d be out and Cook would be straight back - which is why he hasn’t taken any of the available jobs since he left Wigan.

No way are we going to carry on as we are.

We have 2 scenarios.

Either Power manages to find a buyer - by which time we’ll probably be dead and buried -

or he doesn’t find a buyer and we discover if 3 admins really does equate to expulsion

Either way, Power will be gone. Don’t know about the club.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #1069 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 10:32:03 »

Pretty much as Aud says.

Anyone who thinks Power will get rid of Shez or that he will walk is way wide of the mark, the club cannot afford another manager or to pay off the rest of his contract.

We are stuck with him until any possible future takeover is completed or Power gets new investment from alternative sources.

We are basically stuck with him until Clem/AN Other takes over and we can afford to bin him.

No manager willc ome in anyway knowing that if the takeover happens thent heyw ill mroe than likely end up on the scrap heap when its all completed.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #1070 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 11:07:53 »

Apologies in advance for the long post! Longest one in forum history?  Girl Giggle

I can explain the logic in replacing him. he is making the same mistakes EVERY single week with his lineups and is not learning from them and doesn't know how to create a team to attack which ends up being boring as fuck to watch.

3 subs at half time may have made a difference, (we were 3-1 down at home!) just like at the end of most matches when changes are made. It is showing he is reactive and not proactive in his selections.

at the start of the season we started getting some good performances- not as much results. now we are getting consistantly shocking performances and shocking results.

we had more rest than Franchise last match, we had extra time on the training pitch, we have players returning from injuries. we get smashed 4-1 by a team close to us the league table.

Sheridans record so far:

11 games- average goals scored 1.09, average goals conceded 2.09.

Pre-Sheridan:

9 games- average goals scored 1.66, average goals conceded 1.77.

He is lining up with players in the wrong positions, in a defensive mindset and we concede more goals and score less as a result. I have seen enough shit from swindon sides in the past to know what a relegation side looks like.

Kovar
Fryers- Conroy- Odemayo- Caddis (Hunt)
J Smith (Stevens)- Grant (Lyden) - M Smith- DJ (Hope)
J Smith- Pitman

This is not a team deprived of goals and a team that would win 2 in 11. This is not the horrific squad that our peformances and results reflect.

Instead we see the same failing cb partnerships and our best cb in midfield, no natural full backs starting, no strike partnerships and an imbalance all over the shop. for all of jonny smiths criticism he is our most creative player going forward- he clearly players better with a caddis and options of support. this gaffa played him at lwb recently!

As much as I detest Wellens for leaving, our results and performances would be nowhere near this standard. You can forgive results, you can't forgive the performances like that every week and i honestly think its all down to the selections, formations and instructions that are forcing them.

Likewise mistakes happen- we have had about 3 seasons worth of mistakes already this season. Sheridan can't be blamed for some of these errors- but its not like we have played well except for them.

Come onnnn, we were on the end of some shocking performances before Sheridan rocked up. I agree with you about the concern of playing attacking wingers at wing-back positions, like Jack Payne playing left wing-back just looked odd against MK but who else do we actually have right now that can fill that gap when Donohue sat out a game and now left us?

However, I can see what he's trying to do, playing someone who is naturally left-sided that can run and attack. If Sheridan played Caddis on the left and got turned inside and out, ripped to shreds and we conceded, we'd be whinging about how stupid it is to be playing a right wing-back on the left side..

When he rocked up and looked at how we were playing in the formation that we were, we were shipping goals far too easily from individual mistakes. What does a new manager do to stop that? Change the formation and get a solid backline to make it harder to concede. MK is the first game this season where players just completely switched off and didn't do their jobs. If we had the ability and the players to sub more players off at half-time without overextending ourselves, I'm sure we would have!

Let's put a bit of human realism into this, if it works out where Tom Broadbent goes up top and scores our first goal at Kassam, he's a hero. If Tom Broadbent didn't score - he's the devil that was stupid enough to put a centre back upfront and had no effect...

The bloke is working with what he has, managing fitness/ injuries, personalities adjusting to change and doing what he thinks is best to get results on the pitch. He has a window to sort the team out and restore balance, give it a chance.

2. Really? I think it also stems from that the manager doesn't also seem up to it. TW may well have got a bit of his nape up last night but he was only covering his own ass. It also shows how outdated their management style is. They keep banging on about people having to be vocal. You don't need to be giving everyone a bollocking every 5seconds, in fact for some players (and employees) that just won't work. They are out of touch and losing the dressing room as well as faith in the fans. Unless we want a squad of Chris Robertsons and other lower league mouthy twats then L2 will likely be the direction. Good management at any relative level seeks to understand and manage it's players/staff according to how they respond to certain treatment. It's called people engagement now days. These pair don;t have it.

5. I'm not sure how old you are or your length of time following Town but I do admire your positivity. I'm considered too positive for the TEF at times...the thing is FDB, i hate to break it to you but in this coming transfer window (unless new ownership comes in) Town have no money to spend in it. There will be some shuffling of the pack and whatever is left of favours done via whatever limited contacts (Power has been good at burning nearly every bridge sourced. Even those that are the main funders have seemingly had enough after being hustled out of several million) but I seriously can't see anyone wanting to sign for us right now - in fact for different reasons we have had 3 staff under contract leave the club. Who's next? Or who next asks to have their contract ripped up? The big rumour is Grant.

On another note people talk about who we should send back from the loan spots but I'm more concerned about the loans Town want to keep and their parent clubs recalling them to loan to a better club (I'm talking M&J Smith in all honesty). I'm concerned because I don't think of those two loans, we would currently get or source better ones. Like I say, currently the clubs toxicity is at extreme alert level. Barge poles and all that.

I don't know how you can honestly say someone isn't up for it when the most we all get is 90minutes of football and 15 minutes of sound bites every week. Not exactly any grounds for forming a reliable conclusive analysis to how they manage people, their motivations and the decisions we make. Let's face facts here and learnt from many years of following Swindon Town, we are on the outside looking in. When a light is shone into a spectrum crystal, the light splits into many different angles and colours. Does that mean that what we are seeing is the true colours of what light is or are we merely seeing what colours are in the spectrum crystal?

However, I adamantly believe that what we are lacking is 2-3 players (plus replacements for a few others who are simply not performing) and confidence. The players have had a rough season where not a lot has gone right and when it all goes wrong, the players must feel it. They are human beings as you mentioned Joe Hart, but it takes hard work to get confidence and changing that takes time. If I was in Sheridan's shoes, I'd start off by focusing on conceding less. Once we have a reliable defence, we build the attack. No point attacking if we can't defend and a game of who can score more is uncontrollable and unsustainable as we have all discovered this season.

The off-field issues are a massive worry but if again, let's face reality - if you were Lee Power, you will believe you have your ass covered to deal with these legal issues. If so and we do have a buyer waiting in the wings, Power will need to keep funding it to maintain it's value. It's all well and good reading the gossip but what does anyone actually ever know to be the truth of what's actually going on? If Grant does go, he'll be a massive loss but on the other hand, he's a big earner that has rarely hit the levels of performance that he gave us last year...

Apologies for the long posts and I don't mean to come across as antagonist (apologies if I do) but I tend to operate on what we do know, more so than adding 2 and 2 together and hoping that it makes 4. If I was a player reading these forums, it would wind me up because the truth is, we know absolutely fuck all about what happens off the pitch. Over the years, I've accepted that I am merely a passenger on a rollercoaster that I will need to endure the dips and cherish the climbs. It's all part of the fun and if we were in the Premier League, I have no doubt all those that complain on here will still find something to complain about despite achieving what currently looks impossible... Sadly it's human nature to be cynical but it never helps anyone.

I don’t know how old Drummer Boy is but I remember him in the Town End during the Kingy days (unsurprisingly he was the one with the drum) and posting on the original thisisSTFC. I think he was early teens then...

So, he’s got to be around the 30 mark with a minimum of 17 years watching the Town home and away.

I was merely a young whippersnapper back then in comparison to today  Cheesy You're a little undercooked but not far off at all.

One of my fondest memories with that drum was in the Nationwide, started in the top left corner singing the Great Escape theme tune, setting the beat with the drum and at one point looking down the Nationwide stand to see the entire Nationwide clapping along to the beat. Kept it going for what felt like the entire 2nd half. It was a beautiful sight to behold.

If it wasn't for losing a bet to my best mate who supported the club all his life, Big Dave, I would never have made it to my first game (the last time we played Reading back in 2002). It was a boring shit game but the atmosphere from the crowd and watching live sport got me hooked. Even though Big Dave sadly died way too young (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/6046645/21-year-old-father-to-be-drops-dead-on-the-maternity-unit.html), I've not stopped supporting the team and I know he's there watching Town week in, week out.

I feel closest to him at The County Ground but it's also my anchor to regularly remind me that worrying about shit I do not know all the facts about and/ or cannot control outcome is exhausting and pointless, rather than appreciating more of what we have and making a difference when possible. Now, give Bitcoin 10-12 years to reach it's true potential to the point I'm a Bitcoin Billionaire, watch out because I'll be buying the club from whichever dodgy owners we have and climbing the leagues until we win the Champions League...  Cheesy

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #1071 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 11:30:18 »

However, I can see what he's trying to do

When he rocked up and looked at how we were playing in the formation that we were, we were shipping goals far too easily from individual mistakes. What does a new manager do to stop that? Change the formation and get a solid backline to make it harder to concede. MK is the first game this season where players just completely switched off and didn't do their jobs. If we had the ability and the players to sub more players off at half-time without overextending ourselves, I'm sure we would have!

I have already shown that he is making us concede more and score less. you can focus on making us harder to concede but when that removes all attacking options that results in us conceding the ball more and putting the defence under even more pressure.

Donohue has fucked up the left back options but Zeki is more than capable. even hunt. there is no excuse for trying the same failed cb pairings when Conroy is fit.

you cant blame fitness when he has the options of 5 subs and in many many scenarios where the game is dead he doesnt use them. look at how we finished the crewe match they were dead on their feet.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1072 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 11:40:34 »

Apologies in advance for the long post! Longest one in forum history?  Girl Giggle

So you don't read Bambi's posts either?  Smiley
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #1073 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 11:41:01 »

So you don't read Bambi's posts either?  Smiley
I thought similar Smiley no offence Boo!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #1074 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 11:48:17 »

I have already shown that he is making us concede more and score less. you can focus on making us harder to concede but when that removes all attacking options that results in us conceding the ball more and putting the defence under even more pressure.

Donohue has fucked up the left back options but Zeki is more than capable. even hunt. there is no excuse for trying the same failed cb pairings when Conroy is fit.

you cant blame fitness when he has the options of 5 subs and in many many scenarios where the game is dead he doesnt use them. look at how we finished the crewe match they were dead on their feet.

I completely agree with the thoughts of the end result problems but I have zero doubt there will be reasons and thoughts to why it happens, that we do not know and probs never will. One thing that really bugs me about the Radio Wiltshire post-match interviews, they constantly shy away from asking the direct questions that we all want the answers for. Of course, all media is the same and it's far too respectfully polite. However, from my experience when understanding the business or tactical decisions, there is always logic to the madness no matter how crazy it may look. It's very rarely walking in complete blindness to the obvious but to me, there is a very evident balance of risk in all the decisions and whilst I don't agree with some of the line ups and positions players are in, the basic foundation is that we just don't know all the facts or the context to understand the decisions being made.

The results so far are not looking great but as I said before, change takes time and we should be giving the club and the management time to implement the changes. We still have time and a handful of cards to play... I highly doubt anyone in the clubs wants to see us lose week in week out. From my viewpoint, all we can do is keep the faith that we're in for an interesting transfer window where hopefully we'll come out stronger!

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1075 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 11:59:55 »

I completely agree with the thoughts of the end result problems but I have zero doubt there will be reasons and thoughts to why it happens, that we do not know and probs never will. One thing that really bugs me about the Radio Wiltshire post-match interviews, they constantly shy away from asking the direct questions that we all want the answers for. Of course, all media is the same and it's far too respectfully polite. However, from my experience when understanding the business or tactical decisions, there is always logic to the madness no matter how crazy it may look. It's very rarely walking in complete blindness to the obvious but to me, there is a very evident balance of risk in all the decisions and whilst I don't agree with some of the line ups and positions players are in, the basic foundation is that we just don't know all the facts or the context to understand the decisions being made.

The results so far are not looking great but as I said before, change takes time and we should be giving the club and the management time to implement the changes. We still have time and a handful of cards to play... I highly doubt anyone in the clubs wants to see us lose week in week out. From my viewpoint, all we can do is keep the faith that we're in for an interesting transfer window where hopefully we'll come out stronger!

I get what you're saying regarding managers making strange decisions as like you say we don't know what goes on behind the scenes with the thought process etc. Ref questions being asked by the BBC Wiltshire reporters I would imagine there's a PR person close by and maybe stipulates what can and can't be asked if times are sensitive

So, give no fucks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1076 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 12:12:15 »

Come onnnn, we were on the end of some shocking performances before Sheridan rocked up. I agree with you about the concern of playing attacking wingers at wing-back positions, like Jack Payne playing left wing-back just looked odd against MK but who else do we actually have right now that can fill that gap when Donohue sat out a game and now left us?

However, I can see what he's trying to do, playing someone who is naturally left-sided that can run and attack. If Sheridan played Caddis on the left and got turned inside and out, ripped to shreds and we conceded, we'd be whinging about how stupid it is to be playing a right wing-back on the left side..

Let's put a bit of human realism into this, if it works out where Tom Broadbent goes up top and scores our first goal at Kassam, he's a hero. If Tom Broadbent didn't score - he's the devil that was stupid enough to put a centre back upfront and had no effect...

The bloke is working with what he has, managing fitness/ injuries, personalities adjusting to change and doing what he thinks is best to get results on the pitch. He has a window to sort the team out and restore balance, give it a chance.

I don't know how you can honestly say someone isn't up for it when the most we all get is 90minutes of football and 15 minutes of sound bites every week. Not exactly any grounds for forming a reliable conclusive analysis to how they manage people, their motivations and the decisions we make. Let's face facts here and learnt from many years of following Swindon Town, we are on the outside looking in. When a light is shone into a spectrum crystal, the light splits into many different angles and colours. Does that mean that what we are seeing is the true colours of what light is or are we merely seeing what colours are in the spectrum crystal?

However, I adamantly believe that what we are lacking is 2-3 players (plus replacements for a few others who are simply not performing) and confidence. The players have had a rough season where not a lot has gone right and when it all goes wrong, the players must feel it. They are human beings as you mentioned Joe Hart, but it takes hard work to get confidence and changing that takes time. If I was in Sheridan's shoes, I'd start off by focusing on conceding less. Once we have a reliable defence, we build the attack. No point attacking if we can't defend and a game of who can score more is uncontrollable and unsustainable as we have all discovered this season.

The off-field issues are a massive worry but if again, let's face reality - if you were Lee Power, you will believe you have your ass covered to deal with these legal issues. If so and we do have a buyer waiting in the wings, Power will need to keep funding it to maintain it's value. It's all well and good reading the gossip but what does anyone actually ever know to be the truth of what's actually going on? If Grant does go, he'll be a massive loss but on the other hand, he's a big earner that has rarely hit the levels of performance that he gave us last year...

Apologies for the long posts and I don't mean to come across as antagonist (apologies if I do) but I tend to operate on what we do know, more so than adding 2 and 2 together and hoping that it makes 4. If I was a player reading these forums, it would wind me up because the truth is, we know absolutely fuck all about what happens off the pitch. Over the years, I've accepted that I am merely a passenger on a rollercoaster that I will need to endure the dips and cherish the climbs. It's all part of the fun and if we were in the Premier League, I have no doubt all those that complain on here will still find something to complain about despite achieving what currently looks impossible... Sadly it's human nature to be cynical but it never helps anyone.

I was merely a young whippersnapper back then in comparison to today  Cheesy You're a little undercooked but not far off at all.

One of my fondest memories with that drum was in the Nationwide, started in the top left corner singing the Great Escape theme tune, setting the beat with the drum and at one point looking down the Nationwide stand to see the entire Nationwide clapping along to the beat. Kept it going for what felt like the entire 2nd half. It was a beautiful sight to behold.

If it wasn't for losing a bet to my best mate who supported the club all his life, Big Dave, I would never have made it to my first game (the last time we played Reading back in 2002). It was a boring shit game but the atmosphere from the crowd and watching live sport got me hooked. Even though Big Dave sadly died way too young (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/6046645/21-year-old-father-to-be-drops-dead-on-the-maternity-unit.html), I've not stopped supporting the team and I know he's there watching Town week in, week out.

I feel closest to him at The County Ground but it's also my anchor to regularly remind me that worrying about shit I do not know all the facts about and/ or cannot control outcome is exhausting and pointless, rather than appreciating more of what we have and making a difference when possible. Now, give Bitcoin 10-12 years to reach it's true potential to the point I'm a Bitcoin Billionaire, watch out because I'll be buying the club from whichever dodgy owners we have and climbing the leagues until we win the Champions League...  Cheesy

Played football against Big Dave a number of times over Abby Meads in the 6 a side league. Our teams always battling at the top. Some of them got quite heated (in the spirit of competitiveness, the aggression never left the pitch) including on one occasion (then) Town youth keeper Jon Stewart wanting to fight me with Ben Wells backing him up...

Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #1077 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 12:31:34 »

Played football against Big Dave a number of times over Abby Meads in the 6 a side league. Our teams always battling at the top. Some of them got quite heated (in the spirit of competitiveness, the aggression never left the pitch) including on one occasion (then) Town youth keeper Jon Stewart wanting to fight me with Ben Wells backing him up...

Made my day in realising what a small world it is. No idea of who you actually are DV but I must have seen you around in the years at the very least if you played at Abbey Meads, knew Big Dave and Ben Wells. It was a team that Dave and I set up playing in the Abbey Meads before I stepped away and he carried on. Big Dave and I were in the same Primary School class as Ben Wells too and dominated the Sports Day races on all distances. That kid could run like a racehorse and sad he never made the cut in football!

Fond memories now!

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1078 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 12:33:01 »

or he doesn’t find a buyer and we discover if 3 admins really does equate to expulsion
It doesn't, that's a myth. Check the Football League regulations on insolvency events, each instance is treated as a discrete event in it's own right, there is no mention of any mythical "3 strikes and you're out" rule
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1079 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 12:39:27 »

Well, if that’s true it’s good news. Take the 12 point hit this season.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 ... 137   Go Up
Print
Jump to: