Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 137   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager Thread  (Read 225723 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #300 on: Thursday, November 5, 2020, 12:25:49 »

I don't think that I have seen Gary Johnson mentioned on this thread as a possible candidate.
No but he is in the betting, doing well at Torquay,

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Thursday, November 5, 2020, 12:38:29 »

His argument being - “He joined Bournemouth when they were in League 2”

Conveniently ignoring the three promotions and several seasons in the Premier League since!

Some of our fans live in fantasy land. Even the likes of Cook, Cowley etc being mentioned - dream on.

The Cheltenham fan still maintains we should be the same size as Leicester City as we once beat them in a play-off final. We've never been a big club and I don't get where some of the delusions of grandeur come from, we are a middling league 1 club on every measure going.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Thursday, November 5, 2020, 12:40:33 »

in employment = no chance in my opinion.

I mean, not like we are not going to go with hunt and hope for the best...

like listening to hunt to be honest. but we already had an uphill task, that is a big all on him
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Thursday, November 5, 2020, 12:42:12 »

@theakston I think we did have the potential to be a championship club. but even that gap is massive now and would need a lansdown.

I do hope hope of playing in the championship. just might be a quickish visit.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Thursday, November 5, 2020, 12:42:24 »

The Cheltenham fan still maintains we should be the same size as Leicester City as we once beat them in a play-off final. We've never been a big club and I don't get where some of the delusions of grandeur come from, we are a middling league 1 club on every measure going.

I think that most supporters understand where the club stands in the football pecking order.

Nothing to see here
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Thursday, November 5, 2020, 12:43:29 »

in employment = no chance in my opinion.

I mean, not like we are not going to go with hunt and hope for the best...

You thinking player coach role for Hope?
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Thursday, November 5, 2020, 12:48:57 »

Im sure he'll put it down to securing the future for his family.  It does feel a bit hypocritical given his declarations about loyalty.  

Personally don't think it's a good career move for him.  But then again I see this season as a surreal piece of nonsense which will probably not end.  Im treading water with football.  Doesn't seem like an ongoing drama to me, just one off performances which may amount to nothing in the end.

So Im not bothered really.  So much more important stuff going on at the moment.

Never knowingly overstated.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Thursday, November 5, 2020, 12:54:04 »

if he gets Salford up by the end of next season, it will be a good move for him.

if not, then probably back on the scrapheap.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Thursday, November 5, 2020, 12:58:23 »

Hartlepool 4/1 to win at Salford. With Wellens’ 100% losing ratio in cup games this has to be worth a flutter.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Thursday, November 5, 2020, 13:03:02 »

if he gets Salford up by the end of next season, it will be a good move for him.

if not, then probably back on the scrapheap.

Agree if he gets them up it will be a good move and he will get given big money to get them settled in L1 and pushing on, no different to here, without Covid I'm sure he would have been backed financially a bit better to try and achieve his aims of pushing for a PO place.

I think Wellens was angered on the woolery deal that we failed to offer him the money he wanted to stay as he clearly wanted him to stay here, and then on deadline day not getting anyone in (who knows what happened there)

Be interesting to see what he says tonight, I hope that Vic can turn the screw a little bit, but not sure if he is that type of person to do it.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Thursday, November 5, 2020, 13:16:50 »

This for me.
This for me.

The Woolery reference and the big club reference after the 13k Support v Exeter grinds on me.

Wellens has gone “backwards” in his career and joins a “small club” with barely 2,000 fans.
Now that doesn’t fit right and down to money.

Money probably paid a part.
Being able to live at home probably did too. Even if the money was less he’d probably earn more taking out fuel costs.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Thursday, November 5, 2020, 13:22:06 »

Agree if he gets them up it will be a good move and he will get given big money to get them settled in L1 and pushing on, no different to here, without Covid I'm sure he would have been backed financially a bit better to try and achieve his aims of pushing for a PO place.

I think Wellens was angered on the woolery deal that we failed to offer him the money he wanted to stay as he clearly wanted him to stay here, and then on deadline day not getting anyone in (who knows what happened there)

Be interesting to see what he says tonight, I hope that Vic can turn the screw a little bit, but not sure if he is that type of person to do it.
But he’ll be hamstrung by the salary cap the same as everyone else. Lim might have the odd million down the back of the sofa but he - or Wellens - won’t be able to spend it. It’ll show up his true managerial skills - or lack thereof - for sure.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Thursday, November 5, 2020, 13:27:27 »

I don't expect loyalty from a manager. Managers are employees just like they are in any business.

If a prospective employer has better prospects, more money and is closer to home then you would make the move too.

People leave established firms for 'start-ups' all the time.

We have signed up to be loyal to the Club as fans (although most of us attend more when we are winning and less when we are shit), but I don't expect anyone to be loyal for the sake of it when it is their career.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Thursday, November 5, 2020, 13:31:21 »

Fair enough. But they shouldn’t make statements extolling loyalty, then.

That’s what pisses people off.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Thursday, November 5, 2020, 14:21:17 »

Hartlepool 4/1 to win at Salford. With Wellens’ 100% losing ratio in cup games this has to be worth a flutter.
The football Fates will decree that Wellens will now go on a monster cup run and a third round tie at Old Trafford. And Darlo will be one of the first teams shown on the cup highlights programme.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 137   Go Up
Print
Jump to: