Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Property/Moving thread  (Read 35399 times)

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 11:35:47 »

I have an idea and hopefully someone will have a clue whether this could be an option or not. Basically I'm thinking of buying a second home which will be the house I eventually move to. It will be used as our holiday home in the meantime. My idea is to keep my current home for a few years before selling it to then pay off the second home mortgage balance and hopefully have some money over from the mortgage payments already made. I plan to do this next year when my mortgage on my home here will be paid off. Is this something that is possible?
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 11:37:49 »

I have an idea and hopefully someone will have a clue whether this could be an option or not. Basically I'm thinking of buying a second home which will be the house I eventually move to. It will be used as our holiday home in the meantime. My idea is to keep my current home for a few years before selling it to then pay off the second home mortgage balance and hopefully have some money over from the mortgage payments already made. I plan to do this next year when my mortgage on my home here will be paid off. Is this something that is possible?

I may be wrong but if you purchase a second home in your name you will be liable for 40% tax if you rent out or sell within two years in capital gains tax.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 5, 2021, 11:41:50 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 11:49:57 »

It will not be let out. Will be used frequently by ourselves and maybe immediate family only before we move down.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 11:56:01 »

It will not be let out. Will be used frequently by ourselves and maybe immediate family only before we move down.

You may be ok then but do check first

So, give no fucks
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Monday, April 5, 2021, 12:28:21 »

I think you are OK so long as you don't profit from the second home.  You'll be remaining in the first home and treating it as a Residential property and occupying it, so that should avoid the need to pay Capital Gains Tax.

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2021, 09:05:47 »

I think you are OK so long as you don't profit from the second home.  You'll be remaining in the first home and treating it as a Residential property and occupying it, so that should avoid the need to pay Capital Gains Tax.

Thought so, cheers for that.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2021, 09:13:19 »

Check out insurances too Arriba, especially if it's going to be unoccupied for stretches of time.

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2021, 09:47:38 »

Check out insurances too Arriba, especially if it's going to be unoccupied for stretches of time.

Will do, Cheers.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2021, 11:58:46 »

All completely feasible.

Borrow against your main home to buy the second one, then pay off the mortgage when you eventually sell up and move to the second home permanently.

There'll be no CGT on your main home when you sell it because it's been (and will remain) your principle residence.

The only thing to concern yourself with is you'll have to pay additional 3% stamp duty on the second home, so that's something to budget for.

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Tuesday, April 6, 2021, 14:18:24 »

All completely feasible.

Borrow against your main home to buy the second one, then pay off the mortgage when you eventually sell up and move to the second home permanently.

There'll be no CGT on your main home when you sell it because it's been (and will remain) your principle residence.

The only thing to concern yourself with is you'll have to pay additional 3% stamp duty on the second home, so that's something to budget for.

Thanks for that info. Appreciate it.
All looking positive at the moment. Will get financial advice once my mortgage is paid and I can then pursue this idea.

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Tuesday, April 5, 2022, 15:57:24 »

Anybody familiar with Easymoove estate agents as curious how they make their money if they don't charge a selling fee?

So, give no fucks
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Tuesday, April 5, 2022, 17:36:43 »

They charge the buyer.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Tuesday, April 5, 2022, 17:38:48 »

Dosen't that put potential buyers off🤔

So, give no fucks
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Tuesday, April 5, 2022, 17:41:40 »

Probably in some cases, yes.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Tuesday, April 5, 2022, 17:46:06 »

Many thanks, I couldn't find anything out about them online after having a flyer put through my letterbox.

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: