Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pittville, Cheltenham  (Read 3260 times)
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, March 31, 2022, 09:00:43 »

Like Sam said, the money helps but at the moment I have the flexibility. I can wfh at my convenience, have a day off and leave early to get kids from school.

It's not straight forward as more money unfortunately.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, March 31, 2022, 09:03:05 »

Like Sam said, the money helps but at the moment I have the flexibility. I can wfh at my convenience, have a day off and leave early to get kids from school.

All I would say is allow much more time to get to work than you think you need plus the same if leaving early to pick the kids up.

So, give no fucks
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, March 31, 2022, 09:08:18 »

As others have said the choice is yours, but don't underestimate the ability for a long commute to fuck up and totally drain you.

I did 4+ years into Manchester on the train just over an hour each way and probably with traipsing to and from stations added 3 hrs to each working day. Add into the equation trains royally fucking up one a month (at least) turning the 1 hr into 2, plus having a baby at home.

When I reverted to full time WFH the money was broadly the same but the lifestyle made it so much better, especially with a young 'un, yes I could have undoubtedly have climbed the corporate ladder if I had stayed down there and made more cash, but it would have been at the cost of my life and family.

Its not a choice I envy!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, March 31, 2022, 12:43:35 »

I spent 4 years doing Eldene to Barnwood in Gloucester, so pretty easy at either end.  On a good day I was there or home in 30 mins, but there are days where you may be sat at Birdlip for 15-25 mins alone.  On the whole I found it manageable - in fact the return journey was quite good because you'd have less traffic and could wind down after work before getting home.  There are much worse commutes to be done - into Bath for example, by car.

Is there room to negotiate some flexibility in location for one or two days a week, or ad-hoc as needed?  I migrated to that towards the end myself an d was good for allowing those days of needing to cover a school run.  In the current environment most companies are a little more flexible when pushed.

Also, the A419 section is notorious for having accidents block it up.  Consider there will be days where the trip will need to be abandoned or a call into work to let them know they won't see you for another hour or two.

If 45 mins in a car, with some traffic but in a straight line is OK with you, it's a decent enough drive.  If you are the sort of person that gets irritated at not moving for 5-10 mins almost everyday in your journey, it will quickly become an annoyance.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, March 31, 2022, 16:10:52 »

On a good day I was there or home in 30 mins

Impressive. Must've been fun bombing down the A419/7 at those speeds Cheesy
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, March 31, 2022, 16:19:52 »

I have no idea what you are inferring sir!
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, March 31, 2022, 16:38:12 »

The a419 has been an absolute shitter recently. I commuted to central Bristol for 2.5 years. In the summer it wasn't too bad but the winter used to get to me. You'd get up in the dark and come home in the dark and do that for a few months. Also the driving knackered me out so social life went down the crapper. It can out you in a shit mood occasionally and you can't guarantee being home by a set time.
On the positive side I got to listen to a hell of a lot of music.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, March 31, 2022, 16:39:09 »

J11a off the M5 was always my favourite junction on the way back from some crappy trip to an ingrate customer site.

The knowledge that the Metropolis was only 29 miles away made for putting the foot down on the A417/9.

Picked up the only 3 points of my driving career just before the Ciren junction.
Just a couple of miles a week in the car these days.

Going up Birdlip Hill at all times of day & night can't recall never seeing at least one truck struggling up the hill.
The 60mph limit up there was for guidance only wasn't it?

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: