Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: We may as well have a Blackpool thread  (Read 18409 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 13:37:01 »

To say Blackpool is a classic English seaside resort is like saying Swindon is hot on the museum scene.  It's rank, and it's gotten a lot worse over the past 30 years, trust me.  The oddity is that popping up North on the coastline finds better "seaside resorts" on the tram line itself.  Blackpool got sucked into the late night party town approach in the 90's (like Bridge St I compared it to).  When nightclubs fell out of fashion it had fuck all left than to offer a sort of concentrated Wetherspoons approach.  I know very few places as classless as Blacpool, but I still like it.

I wish the team well.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 13:44:34 »

I'm sure when we went to Blackpool there was a nightclub with a revolving dance floor. I'm sure I didn't dream this, but possibly I could have done.

Edit - it was this place;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syndicate_Blackpool

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 13:46:36 »

To say Blackpool is a classic English seaside resort is like saying Swindon is hot on the museum scene.  It's rank, and it's gotten* a lot worse over the past 30 years, trust me.  The oddity is that popping up North on the coastline finds better "seaside resorts" on the tram line itself.  Blackpool got sucked into the late night party town approach in the 90's (like Bridge St I compared it to).  When nightclubs fell out of fashion it had fuck all left than to offer a sort of concentrated Wetherspoons approach.  I know very few places as classless as Blacpool, but I still like it.

I wish the team well.

*Got. Talking of class, I know it's an increasing trend, but don't lose your British English.  Wink

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Flashheart

« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 13:50:59 »

I've never been.

Sounds like a good craic.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 14:35:39 »

*Got. Talking of class, I know it's an increasing trend, but don't lose your British English.  Wink

Look, since finding out the use of z in words was actually the original and proper use of English, I;ve been devastated.  Time to just accept that languages are not static animals, they live a breathe and find new life through change.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 14:57:11 »

Look, since finding out the use of z in words was actually the original and proper use of English, I;ve been devastated.  Time to just accept that languages are not static animals, they live a breathe and find new life through change.

I have a degree in linguistics. I know. In fact, as with many American forms it looks like "gotten" is closer to the original Germanic root which distinguishes the preterite from the past participle (bit, bitten / took, taken). Knowing all that doesn't preclude personal prejudice.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 15:00:11 »

I have a degree in linguistics. I know. In fact, as with many American forms it looks like "gotten" is closer to the original Germanic root which distinguishes the preterite from the past participle (bit, bitten / took, taken). Knowing all that doesn't preclude personal prejudice.
The differences all make much more sense when you allow for the fact that American English is stuck closer to the original 17th century English forms and usage which it derived from when it split from proper English. Put simply, we have evolved, the Americans have failed to do so.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 15:56:44 »

The differences all make much more sense when you allow for the fact that American English is stuck closer to the original 17th century English forms and usage which it derived from when it split from proper English. Put simply, we have evolved, the Americans have failed to do so.

See, be as clever as you like, you can't beat your prejudices.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 15:58:27 »

See, be as clever as you like, you can't beat your prejudices.
Smiley Some of the above may have been tongue in cheek.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 16:41:08 »

Smiley Some of the above may have been tongue in cheek.

Mine wasn't. Even a distinguished grammarian I know allows for personal prejudice as a social counterweight to linguistic normalisation. None of us are neutral observers.
Whoosh

JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 17:19:26 »

The use of the word gotten seems to be increasingly more common and the phrase "can I get..." and the use of the word stand rather than witness box is a particular source of irritation for me.

Nothing to see here
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 17:30:53 »

The use of the word gotten seems to be increasingly more common and the phrase "can I get..." and the use of the word stand rather than witness box is a particular source of irritation for me.

See, for me the redundancy in "increasingly more" and "equally as" get my goat.

As someone on here almost said the other day, personal prejudices are like arseholes.  Wink

JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 17:33:44 »

See, for me the redundancy in "increasingly more" and "equally as" get my goat.

As someone on here almost said the other day, personal prejudices are like arseholes.  Wink

That's fair comment. I should spend more time carefully crafting and constructing my posts.

Nothing to see here
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 17:35:06 »

That's fair comment. I should spend more time carefully crafting and constructing my posts.

You're far from alone in that respect.  Cheesy

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 17:35:16 »

Understand the others but what's so bad about "can I get"?

As in "can I get a Reeeeeee-winddd".

Surely it is a matter of etiquette rather than grammar? If you're referring to "may I have" as being the appropriator, being rather anal I would actually say the more proper would be "I/one would like" and if answering for others "<<ins. person>> would like".

Yet none of the above are really that bad, unless you have a position within the Monarchy to uphold. The ones that trump them all, would be "I want" or the even more demanding "give me", although I've never really heard either of them used in a restaurant ordering context. If so, most people whether practising RP or just a regular human, nearly always end their sentence in this scenario with "please."

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: