Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Scunthorpe pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 113780 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 16:17:25 »

Caddis’s quality and range of skills - defence, wing-play, shots, free-kicks, shithousery - made me wonder whether anyone can remember a better late-career second-stint servant of the club. Despite the nostalgia of bringing old heroes back, who’s ever lived up to their previous standards? Moss, Mayes, Kamara, Viveash - none of them were as good second time around. Who’s done a better job for us coming back in their thirties?

Surprised he hasn’t been captain at any point this time around.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Panda Paws

« Reply #511 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 16:50:53 »

Caddis’s quality and range of skills - defence, wing-play, shots, free-kicks, shithousery - made me wonder whether anyone can remember a better late-career second-stint servant of the club. Despite the nostalgia of bringing old heroes back, who’s ever lived up to their previous standards? Moss, Mayes, Kamara, Viveash - none of them were as good second time around. Who’s done a better job for us coming back in their thirties?

Criminal he was without a club - just don't get it. Any side outside of the top 6 in L1 would be lucky to have him.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 16:54:49 »

Chris Kamara and Alan Mayes both did OK for us second time around.... at the time of the rumoured Caddis signing I made the point that there seemed to be a bit of a time limit on these signings, roughly if they left and re-signed say within 3 to 4 years that was about the limit.... those who did OK second time were within or around that limit... Caddis has shown it needn't be the case.  One of my theories happily wide of the mark.....
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 18:59:45 »

Caddis is essentially like a player who should never have left (in an ideal world). I'm sure had it been possible, he would've stayed with us the whole time. A model pro, some might say. Works hard, even when the chips are/we're down. In some ways he's as close to "loyal" you get in football now. He just knuckles down and is class to boot.

All about that experienced RB!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 19:06:33 »

Loyal? He’s had 5 clubs in the last 4 years!
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 19:23:55 »

Did you miss the quotation marks Quaggy? Potentially I may have used it in the wrong way. But my meaning is, that Caddis strikes me as an employee that if the conditions are right he will stay. A player/employee can have a "loyal mindset" but circumstances can mean that even the most loyal workers have to move on. Does that make them "disloyal"?

Essentially what I mean is (and we can't predict a clubs fate of course), and without going over too much old ground. Had Black not pulled the plug, PdC not been so erratic and we had more stability, then I think Caddis would've stuck around longer.

I'll add another note I used quotations for the word loyal because we are talking football players as an employment. So should be treated as loose as Nicky Butt's shin pads 😉

'Incessant Nonsense'

The Million Pound Man

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 20:38:09 »

good ground out win, wont live long in the memory.

goal music in the DRS was deafening and killed the post goal buzz  Bad Mood
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 21:09:51 »

Also a little harsh on Caddis because he spent 4years at Brum until 17. But didn't he get a lengthy injury that saw him go down the pecking order? Bury was obviously a stop gap to see out the rest of that season. Likely a lucky escape in some respects. On paper Blackburn looked like the right kind of fit for him but it didn't work out and he then went to Bradford for some kind of stability.

I don't think that questions his "loyalty", I think it shows a player that was looking for stability after injury and trying to get the right fit. You can be the most loyal employee going but if you're not wanted/surplus by your employer then you can't do much about it.

Also we have to remember, Caddis was one of the few players who actually stuck around for when we last got relegated to this wretched division. When many (possibly understandably in hindsight) we're jumping ship left, right and centre.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 11:09:23 »

Possibly heretical but, for me, two of the worst second stints were Don Rogers and Danny Williams.

Caddis was pushed rather than jumped which was incredibly stupid.  Think I may have said this before but reminds me of the even greater stupidity of letting Downsborough go in 74, allegedly over an extra £5 per week.

His return has made such a difference.  Doughty certainly stood out in the second half on Tuesday but it was Caddis who made the crucial difference in the first half.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 13:07:42 »

I think The Don’s hip had gone when he returned to us.

I can remember absolutely nothing about Danny Williams’ second stint.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #520 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 13:28:16 »

I can remember absolutely nothing about Danny Williams’ second stint.

Yep the Don was fucked.... still managed a couple of goals mind, enough to take up to Maurice Owen and Harold Fleming as someone who'd scored at least one league goal for us in 13 different seasons.  One season behind the obvious winner of that accolade on 14...

Danny did 11 years from 74 -85, in his second stint, firstly as gaffer to 78 and then general manager to 85
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #521 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 13:51:26 »

Yes it was.  My dad treated him when he came back from QPR.  He told him that if he played another season then he would be crippled before he reached 50.  His response was "I don't care, I want to play".

I saw what I think was his last goal, away at Chesterfield in a 1-0 win.

I've always been very proud that I watch the Town from the Don Rogers stand.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: