Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Stevenage pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 64178 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 09:38:56 »

Makes it even worse being in L2 alongside all the other dross.

It's worth a reminder that we're currently a pretty average Div 4 side and are therefore alongside clubs of similar status.

We haven't got any major advantage over those around us.  It's a direct correlation with Power's sustainable model... in the past when we've done well, it's been largely on the back of spending money we didn't have, and then having to deal with the downsides.

Div 4 is a pretty even league and if we are to get out of it, then it will down to canny management of our resources... recently the likes of Accy and Wycombe have shown it can be done.
Flashheart

« Reply #286 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 09:42:42 »

A lot of what those cunts come out with is downright libellous. I reckon the club would have a right to sue the pricks over some of it, only doing so would be a bad PR move for the club.

Doughty's been on the end of part-time accusations as well, and the striker from Northampton whose name now escapes me. All accusations made without a shred of supporting evidence but that doesn't stop their witless followers from lapping them up.

Idiots, and arseholes. Fuck them. I also couldn't give a flying one if anybody is offended by that. If you fall into that category then you are deserving of all the criticism that comes your way.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 09:44:21 »

And part of the crowd 'problem' is an expectant fanbase believing that we should be in a higher League given our average gate compared to some.

But it doesn't work like them.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 09:45:07 »

striker from Northampton=Richards
Flashheart

« Reply #289 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 09:45:28 »

striker from Northampton=Richards

That's the badger.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 09:45:39 »

AFAIK, he is doing just that, living away from his family and in return getting a load of shit rumours from certain elements on Facebook that he's part-time. Thought you were a bit better than to repeat such unsubstantiated smears from the usual suspects who's only joy seems to be hating everything about the club. Unless you know better of course ....
This is clearly why Wellens is pissed off, the fact some so called fans made up a rumour that he was part time and the club had to step in and say they were blatant lies is an embarrassing reflection of our fanbase minority or not.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #291 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 09:46:29 »

Ok - Let's all carry on being over negative and continue with the toxic, unsupportive atmosphere at home. That'll defo help the team.
Wellens all summer has been going on about how he understands why the fans are like they are at the moment. Year after year we have been dealt with shit and and he rightly said he gets it, it's more that after we have a poor spell and the fans get uptight he is out the blocks having a dig. How about saying I know it's not great lately but fair fucks for 6k of you lot still turning up. I'd argue his management style could be seen as equally negative on the sidelines and the way he hangs out players to dry.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #292 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 09:47:38 »

This is clearly why Wellens is pissed off, the fact some so called fans made up a rumour that he was part time and the club had to step in and say they were blatant lies is an embarrassing reflection of our fanbase minority or not.
Then say that? That's not what he said though
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 09:53:26 »

And embarrassing that "some on here" (to coin a favourite phrase of "some on here") seek to perpetuate the snidery.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:00:11 »

Honestly, I enjoy watching any football. Just as happy watching Watford as I am Hornchurch. Neither matter, compared to STFC though.

I get frustrated, I get disappointed, but I still go because either way I enjoy it. I enjoy the away games with no one there like Col U in the cup where I can sit with my own thoughts and watch a game, and I enjoy away games like Orient where I can go with 12 mates, drink 12 pints, be part of something bigger and generally make a tit of myself.

Yes, I am strange.

We're all a bit strange Smiley

I enjoy Woking because although I get behind them when I go the result is but one of many factors in my enjoyment.  

The result is a much higher factor where STFC is concerned.  The other significant factor is the atmosphere of the support.  On both counts, the County Ground experience has, imo, lagged in recent years.

Beer can also be a factor and, truth be told, I'm rather envious that you can put away a dozen on a match day.  Not done that for decades.  Heaven knows I'm miserable now  Wink
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:01:14 »

AFAIK, he is doing just that, living away from his family and in return getting a load of shit rumours from certain elements on Facebook that he's part-time. Thought you were a bit better than to repeat such unsubstantiated smears from the usual suspects who's only joy seems to be hating everything about the club. Unless you know better of course ....

I haven't the first clue about the FB stuff other than what gets mentioned on here.  As usual I make observations and then analyse them.

It seems to me that a manager like say Macari, moved his young family down from Manchester.... his kids went to local schools. He explained how he understood fans by standing on the terrace at Parkhead. When he was sacked the fans got him reinstated.  Someone like Sturrock although not around for that long, would be seen and heard of around Town....PdC also to some extent.  It is of course something you can spin... it's highly likely that Wellens just doesn't have that sort of personality, which is fair enough you are what you are. Wellens is more head coach, but in the summerwe heard about fan engagement.... perhaps I've missed something, but I'm yet to see it.  Perhaps you could educate us?
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:06:27 »

Then say that? That's not what he said though
He said he was getting abuse from the stands during the game and that will have been the straw that broke the camels back after all the other shit that a minority element have been saying about him. I just don't get why people make shit up and revel in negativity, it must make life rather shit.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:08:34 by theakston2k » Logged
Panda Paws

« Reply #297 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:11:01 »

As suggested patience was required and rewarded.  A massive result, in the short term.

No good will come of Wellens moaning at the fans.... he needs to  Zipped that straight away.  Our fans still turn up in reasoanble numbers for Div 4, especially as we've been poor at the CG for a while including cup games etc.

I get that he's under pressure and it makes you do funny things, but it's part of the job.   How a gaffer can make himself popular is a tricky one.... I'd suggest a basic point would be living and being seen around where you manage.  Wellens gives the impression of being temporary and therefore semi detached.

He should probably have made a bit more of the Donny thing in the summer....

What has he done that gives the impression of being temporary?

Why should he not try to change to the culture of the club to something more positive and successful? The club have made strides off the pitch since his appointment, and he would have been part of that. To suggest he should not speak of such things is weird.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:13:25 »

So I was sat right above the directors box where Wellens was and there was two old boys behind me who did not stop complaining the whole game. One of them berated Anderson for being lazy, despite the fact he wasn't even on the pitch. Wellens would've definitely heard them, and it got to the point where even I lost my temper with them.

But generally he is right - our support is terrible. Has been for as long as I can remember.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #299 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 10:22:03 »

So I was sat right above the directors box where Wellens was and there was two old boys behind me who did not stop complaining the whole game. One of them berated Anderson for being lazy, despite the fact he wasn't even on the pitch. Wellens would've definitely heard them, and it got to the point where even I lost my temper with them.

But generally he is right - our support is terrible. Has been for as long as I can remember.

and that's fine but it is not the reason we are shit at home. Our form at home is the reason our fans are morons. The same as any club, I fact no... We get around 2000 extra than most fans. He bangs, on about being honest so call out the 2 fans not a whole fanbase who are putting up with the shit we been offered over the last 10 years
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: