Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 102   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The "it could actually be worse" thread ....  (Read 444335 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 12:34:10 »

Don't we have a cause 'Power Out!'

Billionaire In! #projectPositive
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #16 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 12:41:02 »

I think I'm pretty much done. Walked away this season over signing of McCormick and apart from the first couple of games I haven't missed it. I'm going to watch Supermarine and really enjoying it. I haven't enjoyed Town for a while now. There are so many things that I'm pissed off about but a lot of these are about league football in general and not specific to Town.
Can't see me coming back (even part time or big games) in the forseeable future - 47 years and out.
Will still spout my bollocks on the non STFC bits on here though.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I知 A Scientist.

« Reply #17 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 12:44:27 »

Apathy is a very good word to describe how things are at the moment at the County Ground.

As we all know, the atmosphere has been dead for years, not helped of course by our shocking home performances and results. I was listening to the Loathed Strangers Podcast this morning and at the start, they have a raucous rendition of "Come on you Reds" which I do remember used to echo around the County Ground whenever we were awarded a corner. Now whenever we get a corner there is just a general collective muttering, as fans know we will fuck the thing up.

It can't be easy for the players given the lack of backing they are getting. We were quite patient on Saturday but after about 35 minutes this changed and every misplaced pass was berated.
Apathy is a perfect word to decribe Swindon fans at the moment and probably for the last 15 years or more with one short interlude in Di Canio where he seemed to unite fans with his pre and post match war cries to the press.

He was a very public figure who knows to to inpire and motivate fans (and players too apparently) with just a few words, the difference wass that EVERYTHING PdC said was reported in the press, not just in Swindon but much further afield in the national and often international press too, absolutely everything he said.

Because he was more friendly with the press and was a huge figure in football the press were never far behind him quoting everything he said, good and bad, waiting for him to say something inspiring or offensive, but they were there.

The fans felt more of a part of the club because he constantly told them they were, he was always praising the fans, the fans felt he wanted to be with us and felt that together we would go places as a club, fans and on the pitch.

With the greatest respect to MacDonald, Cooper, Williams, Flipflop, Brown and Wellens they will never be followed by the press so will never have the opportunity to do what PdC did with the press.

He could manipulate them for his and the clubs benefits at times.

Whatever you think of the man as a person he was a great self publicist and motivational speaker but the press were always there for him to have an outlet.

So under him the fans felt they were part of the club, most of that was because of his communication with the fans.

Fans nowadays rely upon good communication which seems to be a little better under Wellens but the fans will never really feel a part of the club until they feel appreciated by the club, almost mollycoddled to be told we are great all the time and truly appreciated.

Wellens has praised the fans at many away games and said they are fantastic but rarely if any times has he praised the home supporters, the vast maority of the fans that actually see us play.

When we watch on iFollow or listen on the radio we do not generally hear the negativity when things don't go our way early in games, the constant moaning and muttering and often no more than 2 or 3 fans at a time, ut when you actually attend games you hear these things much more and they aften seem to come from the same group of maybe 50 people, this happens at every game I attend, its always the same ones. Most Town fans are very patient and at times deservedly like a moan but some fans would not be happy with 5-0 wins every week they would want more.

Sorry I have rambled enough I probably don't make mush sense, as usual.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #18 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 12:48:28 »

That would suggest around 30k crowds in the late 60's early 70's?
Swindons poulation in 1961 was 82,000.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 12:53:12 »

That would suggest around 30k crowds in the late 60's early 70's?

Yeah, should be 15%. Based on 1971 pop of 117k. Equivalent now would be us getting crowds of 33,000   Grin
« Last Edit: Monday, January 28, 2019, 13:04:40 by 4D » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 13:01:16 »

What's the atmosphere like amongst our fans at away games?

Generally decent... you do get the regulars who are there for a day out come what may, so there are all the little rituals.

Further if you've 400 at say Macc, then you can create some atmosphere, whereas it would get lost in much bigger grounds.

I reckon a lot of the away regulars wouldn't mind too much going to non league, as new grounds and you still get things like away fans drinking in the clubhouse bar.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 13:32:49 »

I was listening to the Loathed Strangers Podcast this morning and at the start, they have a raucous rendition of "Come on you Reds" which I do remember used to echo around the County Ground whenever we were awarded a corner. Now whenever we get a corner there is just a general collective muttering, as fans know we will fuck the thing up.

I was just thinking this the other day.

My son keeps on getting asked to go to Pompey games as its our local team. I just know the atmosphere will be electric and he will realise what it could/should be like.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 13:39:00 »

Swindons poulation in 1961 was 82,000.

1971 117k
Peter Venkman

« Reply #23 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 13:39:36 »

I was just thinking this the other day.

My son keeps on getting asked to go to Pompey games as its our local team. I just know the atmosphere will be electric and he will realise what it could/should be like.
My mate is a season ticket holder at Pompey and has been for 30+ years and he says the atmosphere is a damp squib this season desipte their position in the league, barely one or 2 Po,pey chimes all game at the moment which is so unlike them.

I would encourage him to have another team as following just Swindon is not good for his health or sanity!

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 13:42:14 »

Don't worry PV, you always make mush sense mate! Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 13:43:45 »

My mate is a season ticket holder at Pompey and has been for 30+ years and he says the atmosphere is a damp squib this season desipte their position in the league, barely one or 2 Po,pey chimes all game at the moment which is so unlike them.

I would encourage him to have another team as following just Swindon is not good for his health or sanity!

That does surprise me. Does he ever mention why he thinks that is? I always presumed it would be rocking, especially the season they are having and having come back from pretty much where we are now.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #26 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 13:48:58 »

1971 117k
TBF thats a pretty big rise on population in just the 1960s of about 45%. (obviously changing the subject somewhat) so Town gates didn't rise in proportion to population either.

Some more about it here.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/league-two-attendances-dons-grimsby-2266318

Peter Venkman

« Reply #27 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 13:53:00 »

That does surprise me. Does he ever mention why he thinks that is? I always presumed it would be rocking, especially the season they are having and having come back from pretty much where we are now.
Yes it shocked me too, Pompey used to be a place I hated to visit as an opposing fan let alone the players in such an intimidating atmosphere of Fratton. They still average about 18k but he sayd the atmosphere is flat, but then after what hes been used to it is still probably fairly good.

He didn't actually suggest why but he did say the style of play of Kenny Jacketts side is more about getting results over entertainment.

Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 13:53:50 »

Chap that works for me is a Pompey Season Ticket holder and he said it is pretty normal for Pompey. Not helped by the lack of away fans or the expectation to always win maybe ??
Peter Venkman

« Reply #29 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 13:55:20 »

I think my statement about comparison to previous seasons could be valid looking at this chart.

https://www.footballgroundmap.com/stats/grounds/ratings/atmosphere/england/league-1

Interestingly Swindon comes 13th in L2!

https://www.footballgroundmap.com/stats/grounds/ratings/atmosphere/england/league-2

Not helped by the lack of away fans or the expectation to always win maybe ??
Absolutely, but most clubs do take a decent following to FP as they are the biggest side on that division this season other than Sunderland who I would say are comparable.

And yes I do agree that Pompey fans expectations are massive.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 28, 2019, 13:57:26 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 102   Go Up
Print
Jump to: