Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 102   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The "it could actually be worse" thread ....  (Read 444305 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 11:01:14 »

Opinions vary on the current state of the club, but I don't think anyone disagrees that it is certainly in the doldrums. Whether that's an understatement is a subject of much debate, (or mass-debate for some of the gloom mongers) but by way of a gallows humour counterpoint, I thought I'd start a generic "I know we're shit but it could be a lot worse" thread to point out the examples of owners worse than Power (they do exist) and clubs in a worse state. I'll kick things off with the Twitter cockwaver (literally) who is currently all set to take the League's oldest established club out of the League:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/jan/26/alan-hardy-notts-county-league-two-football-league

(This is a slightly more indepth look at how his behaviour is likely to spell doom for County than the knob joke he has made himself into)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 11:06:35 »

Digressing slightly but I noticed a town fan who had a rant on twitter after we lost to Crawley to have a moan about Power. The final words on his tweet in capitals were 'IM GIVING UP'. I had a quick look at his bio which states "Swindon til I die".

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Flashheart

« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 11:14:08 »

Digressing slightly but I noticed a town fan who had a rant on twitter after we lost to Crawley to have a moan about Power. The final words on his tweet in capitals were 'IM GIVING UP'. I had a quick look at his bio which states "Swindon til I die".

Clap
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 11:23:16 »

Opinions vary on the current state of the club, but I don't think anyone disagrees that it is certainly in the doldrums. Whether that's an understatement is a subject of much debate, (or mass-debate for some of the gloom mongers) but by way of a gallows humour counterpoint, I thought I'd start a generic "I know we're shit but it could be a lot worse" thread to point out the examples of owners worse than Power (they do exist) and clubs in a worse state. I'll kick things off with the Twitter cockwaver (literally) who is currently all set to take the League's oldest established club out of the League:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/jan/26/alan-hardy-notts-county-league-two-football-league

(This is a slightly more indepth look at how his behaviour is likely to spell doom for County than the knob joke he has made himself into)
Was also reading about Oldham, they want Scholes in as manager but he wants guarantees there will be no interference in team selection.  Apparently the temp manager picked the team promptly told to change it by the chairman!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 11:30:42 »

Thing is with Big Alan, he does seem to have put cash into the club which is what many of our fans think is all that is required for success.

I hope someone has checked he is OK, could have been a cry for help.....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 11:43:05 »

Interesting to read about something I've pointed out before, how Nottingham football has traditionally had fans who would go and watch Notts and Forest.  For a recent home game County dropped admission to a couple of quid and got 15K

Further, interesting to read that Notts fell away last season because of the loss of loan players

At least Wellens seems to get that you cannot reliably build a promotion side on having too many in key positions.... whether he can convince Power that having our own players will need to be financed is moot.

For me we've now entered the terrain where we can't be too sentimental about who drops..... it's dog eat dog.  Power might not be the world's worst owner, but he has reduced us to the present state, and as such leaves little wriggle room.

Both Notts (if they are to go) and Spireites last season have shown, you can have bigger budgets, seemingly doing OK and then drop due to getting a few strategic decisions wrong.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 11:53:46 »

I can't imagine there'd be a full house if we had a free entry game. There's very much an apathy in Swindon to the local club, too many armchair prem fans. The late 60s the gates would average around 25% of the towns population (purely estimating), compared to around 2.5% of the towns population today. Shame.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 12:10:11 »

Apathy is a very good word to describe how things are at the moment at the County Ground.

As we all know, the atmosphere has been dead for years, not helped of course by our shocking home performances and results. I was listening to the Loathed Strangers Podcast this morning and at the start, they have a raucous rendition of "Come on you Reds" which I do remember used to echo around the County Ground whenever we were awarded a corner. Now whenever we get a corner there is just a general collective muttering, as fans know we will fuck the thing up.

It can't be easy for the players given the lack of backing they are getting. We were quite patient on Saturday but after about 35 minutes this changed and every misplaced pass was berated.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 12:18:44 »

Cheesy brilliant!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 12:19:50 »

Was also reading about Oldham, they want Scholes in as manager but he wants guarantees there will be no interference in team selection.  Apparently the temp manager picked the team promptly told to change it by the chairman!
Pre match on Saturday Wellens said that he has way way more freedom under Power to sign players and pick the team than he had at Oldham previously.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 12:23:38 »

Apathy is a very good word to describe how things are at the moment at the County Ground.

Yup. Need a cause to get behind, but feels like we are drifting into nothingness.

But...

At least Oxford, Rovers and Reading give hope that the season isn't a total shitshow.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 12:26:19 »

As we all know, the atmosphere has been dead for years, not helped of course by our shocking home performances and results. I was listening to the Loathed Strangers Podcast this morning and at the start, they have a raucous rendition of "Come on you Reds" which I do remember used to echo around the County Ground whenever we were awarded a corner. Now whenever we get a corner there is just a general collective muttering, as fans know we will fuck the thing up.

It can't be easy for the players given the lack of backing they are getting. We were quite patient on Saturday but after about 35 minutes this changed and every misplaced pass was berated.

What's the atmosphere like amongst our fans at away games? My last away game was at Southampton when Austin scored for a 1-0 win.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 12:29:04 »

What's the atmosphere like amongst our fans at away games? My last away game was at Southampton when Austin scored for a 1-0 win.

I've not been since Crawley. Which was ok at best.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 12:30:53 »

I've not been since notts county, which had a load of Tommy Robinson cunts there.

other than that, ok at best
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, January 28, 2019, 12:31:24 »

I can't imagine there'd be a full house if we had a free entry game. There's very much an apathy in Swindon to the local club, too many armchair prem fans. The late 60s the gates would average around 25% of the towns population (purely estimating), compared to around 2.5% of the towns population today. Shame.

That would suggest around 30k crowds in the late 60's early 70's?

Yup. Need a cause to get behind, but feels like we are drifting into nothingness.

But...

At least Oxford, Rovers and Reading give hope that the season isn't a total shitshow.

Don't we have a cause 'Power Out!'
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 102   Go Up
Print
Jump to: