Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 ... 109   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trust look to buy the CG  (Read 382130 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 19:10:18 »

A full redevelopment is a step up for Axis, previously they have been contractors or sub contractors. So what's in it for them is proving to the wider business community that they are big enough to do more. Plus profit, presumably.

Whenever things have been looked at before which involve an effort to redevelop and turn a profit, they've always fallen down on what you can actually do on the footprint, hence why the plans have tended to be about getting the CG on the cheap to sell up, relocate to a new prob out of town or Shaw Tip type site and build on the greater CG site to fund it.

What's different now?
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 19:22:30 »

Whenever things have been looked at before which involve an effort to redevelop and turn a profit, they've always fallen down on what you can actually do on the footprint, hence why the plans have tended to be about getting the CG on the cheap to sell up, relocate to a new prob out of town or Shaw Tip type site and build on the greater CG site to fund it.

What's different now?

Brexit
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 20:45:55 »

Just for a change you are comparing Apples and Bananas....

MCC get so much more than just the rent from the Etihad and that's why they retain ownership, multiple concerts each year, multiple other sports using the site (all which bring additional income) the commitment from City for the wider regeneration of the land surrounding the ground, I know that when I worked down there is was a total no go area, changed beyond recognition now. Its become the centre piece of a regeneration success providing a community facility that the City is proud of, and brings the CC a lot of kudos in Manchester.

At the present SBC get £250k a year (when we get round to paying it) and frankly fuck all else out of owning the ground, which is an eyesore from many angles and only brings any sort of positive to the Council from the c.5k of residents who actually give a shit about the club, its an asset that needs a fortune spending on it to make it useful for anything above third tier football and there is no hope with revenue streams beyond football in its present state.

Frankly its a millstone to the Council as it stands, not saying that absolute caution should not be employed when deciding who to sell to, but don’t try to rewrite history to make a point.

As for the historic cultural asset - really?Huh? No part of it is older that post war (I stand to be corrected on The Town End), and whilst the field and historic use of the site may have some social history it’s no Goodison for instance. Its means a lot to us fools and not many more...

I cannot believe i’m agreeing with you but I do.

I’ll take your word on MCC. I will add onto your synopsis that it won’t be long before Power exits out with a decent wedge after the ‘redevelopment’. Wether that’s just the GC or a wider development of the car park, land in front of the DRS, cricket and playing field behind the AS & SB respectively. This will be financed by some very heavyweight money men/companies but not from Power though. I cannot see there being enough money to be made solely out of the GC footprint either, though a princely sum will need to go in first just to bring the stadium up to current day standards. Cannot for the life of me seeing to much in the way of non football income coming out of that. Throw in the other land and then you can start to look at all sorts of blue sky income.

Question is, how much would the council require to let all that go and where would the cricket club and athletics go?
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 21:06:46 »

Sadly it's the Tory administration who are making the call on this.  With the May locals coming up, there is a possibility of them losing their majority.  According to some sources if the Tories do badly in Swindon and London, then it will precipitate a leadership challenge for Theresa

is that why it's called the May Locals ?
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 21:12:09 »

I like what you did there. Try not to feed the animals though, Plowman has enough food as it is with the chips on each shoulder.
« Last Edit: Monday, February 19, 2018, 22:37:03 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 21:22:14 »

I cannot believe i’m agreeing with you but I do.

I’ll take your word on MCC. I will add onto your synopsis that it won’t be long before Power exits out with a decent wedge after the ‘redevelopment’. Wether that’s just the GC or a wider development of the car park, land in front of the DRS, cricket and playing field behind the AS & SB respectively. This will be financed by some very heavyweight money men/companies but not from Power though. I cannot see there being enough money to be made solely out of the GC footprint either, though a princely sum will need to go in first just to bring the stadium up to current day standards. Cannot for the life of me seeing to much in the way of non football income coming out of that. Throw in the other land and then you can start to look at all sorts of blue sky income.

Question is, how much would the council require to let all that go and where would the cricket club and athletics go?
There is already a second planning application being considered for the athletics track, being led by FITC.  Now I don't know if that is STFC by the back door but it will involve upgrading all the athletics area, new changing rooms etc. and a 3G pitch.  The local are not happy about it, god knows what their attitude would be if the CG was to be redeveloped.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 22:35:57 »

They could object like the residents around Ashton Gate when they wanted to move to Ashton Vale. City stayed where they were and now they are moaning about street parking during games!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 22:59:50 »

There is already a second planning application being considered for the athletics track, being led by FITC.  Now I don't know if that is STFC by the back door
Absolutely not. If the club owned the CG and surroundings, the dovetailing is obvious, but the FitC application is something that's been worked on for some years and is a really valuable and much needed facility for kids' football in the town. It stands in it's own right and deserves to succeed on it's own merits
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: Tuesday, February 20, 2018, 00:16:06 »

The cricket ground pavilion by contrast surely is a historical, cultural asset.  I am no Swindonian but the pavilion must surely be listed. It would look odd without a pitch. 
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: Tuesday, February 20, 2018, 00:32:06 »

Actually the biggest concern would come when Power sells up.

If he does what Black did & sells to anyone who fits his timeline rather than someone who cares about the football club, then we would be in the shit.

Just imagine if Jed had been able to sell the ground, we’d probably be ground sharing with Supermarine or Chippenham nowp

That's it for me too.

Power always describes himself as a businessman and has no intent to share anything till it's a done deal.  He said as much on Saturday.  

I have no reason to think Power would do STFC any favours.  Not sure why anyone would?  Does anyone believe he would write off 2 million of his own money to enable a sale to go through?  Or truly carry out careful research into the suitability of any potential buyer of the club?

Trust ownership may contrastingly enable fan involvement and influence on any wider development and the opportunity to assess any viable, future owner or collaborator.  
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 20, 2018, 00:38:49 by RedRag » Logged
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: Tuesday, February 20, 2018, 05:58:18 »

That's it for me too.

Power always describes himself as a businessman and has no intent to share anything till it's a done deal.  He said as much on Saturday.  

I have no reason to think Power would do STFC any favours.  Not sure why anyone would?  Does anyone believe he would write off 2 million of his own money to enable a sale to go through?  Or truly carry out careful research into the suitability of any potential buyer of the club?

Trust ownership may contrastingly enable fan involvement and influence on any wider development and the opportunity to assess any viable, future owner or collaborator.  
Which is where, the sporting covenant may be our trump card.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 20, 2018, 13:42:29 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #386 on: Tuesday, February 20, 2018, 08:42:07 »

Awaits PaulD to fume at you
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: Tuesday, February 20, 2018, 09:23:24 »

ooh, but why would Paul go mad. The sporting covenant (isn't it leisure) is a rock solid  way of securing our future at the CG...

Wink
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #388 on: Tuesday, February 20, 2018, 09:44:42 »

Which is where, the sporting covenant my be our trump card.

As has been debated at length on here sadly means piss all. If the Council do sell to Power our biggest hope down that route will be whatever clauses they put in any contract regarding uplifts, right to sell on and, as I would expect, repeat the sporting covenant in their sale document to him along with equally draconian measures to maintain its sporting community use.

However, there is still silence on the ACV issue from the Trust, as I understand it they can request a 6 month moratorium if the owner decides to sell (which I assume they did when this all kicked off), I wonder whether this 6 months has now ceased hence Power now getting heavily involved as the Trust have persuaded the Council they want to sell (the law of unforeseen circumstances I fear) but have not made tangible process within the 6 month window, plus there is no legal requirement for the Council to actually sell to them meaning as I mentioned at the time the ACV designation is not the golden bullet many were suggesting it was?

However the ACV is also a material planning consideration for things like demolition so it gives the Trust (or anyone else for that matter) the ability to hold the Council to account on subsequent planning applications should Power go down that route and also leaves the door open to a JR if the Council do not attach sufficient value to the ACV in the planning process, or go against their own development plan in making any decisions.

Things are far from lost, but fucking hell the Trust could desperately do with saying something.... anything.... about where they are with things  Hmmm FWIW I am equally fearful of the Trust buying the ground with the funds of a few wealthy (and as its stands entirely unknown) backers....
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 20, 2018, 09:50:29 by horlock07 » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #389 on: Tuesday, February 20, 2018, 09:47:56 »

ooh, but why would Paul go mad. The sporting covenant (isn't it leisure) is a rock solid  way of securing our future at the CG...

Wink

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 ... 109   Go Up
Print
Jump to: