Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 ... 49   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The not STFC transfer rumours thread  (Read 182674 times)
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #600 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2020, 18:22:05 »

I recall that that was a religious thing, and I really don’t think he should be knocked for that. Playing on Sundays was an innovation at the time, as it had never happened before.  
In the early days, there had to be an opportunity for supporters to get in free on Sundays, and I can remember at university in Reading going to watch the Royals at Elm Park on a couple of occasions, and walking right round the outside of the ground trying to find the one (unsigned) gate where you could get in free.
Typical cheapskate students, we were!
Jimmy Allan was actually a pretty good ‘keeper.
Thanks for clearing that up, appreciate it.
I thought that run run Reading would be the Buiscuitmen  . . fuck it cant spell it - Huntley + Palmers in them days
I do recall paying 10p to transfer into the nicer side of the ground
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 2, 2020, 18:24:44 by Mother Brown » Logged
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #601 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2020, 18:25:55 »

Thanks for clearing that up, appreciate it.
I thought that run run Reading would be the Buiscuitmen  . . fuck it cant spell it - Huntley + Palmers in them days

Pay a couple of quid in the corner of the away end and you could join them to keep out of the rain😃

So, give no fucks
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #602 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2020, 18:30:28 »

I always remember the 3-3 draw vs Peterborough and the Nicky Hammond goalkeeping masterclass

Was that the game were ST came charging into the box like a rhino on steroids and smashed the ball into the net with, naturally his head?

Edit; just seen the highlights. Not outside the box but fuck me he didn’t take any prisoners. And I didn’t remember he scored two either. Old age does not come alone sadly.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 2, 2020, 18:34:50 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #603 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2020, 18:33:06 »

Was that the game were ST came charging into the box like a rhino on steroids and smashed the ball into the net with, naturally his head?

There seemed to be a lot of Town fans behind the goal

So, give no fucks
Geoff the Ref

Ignore
« Reply #604 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2020, 18:35:56 »

Pay a couple of quid in the corner of the away end and you could join them to keep out of the rain😃
Elm Park sounds so nice, but OMG it was a shitty ground. Everything was covered in corrugated iron - a bit like the old Shrivenham Road stand only worse.  I remember that they had the same sort of high regard for Swindon that we’ve got for Shitty.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #605 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2020, 18:37:21 »

I recall that that was a religious thing, and I really don’t think he should be knocked for that. Playing on Sundays was an innovation at the time, as it had never happened before.  
In the early days, there had to be an opportunity for supporters to get in free on Sundays, and I can remember at university in Reading going to watch the Royals at Elm Park on a couple of occasions, and walking right round the outside of the ground trying to find the one (unsigned) gate where you could get in free.
Typical cheapskate students, we were!
Jimmy Allan was actually a pretty good ‘keeper.

He was a good keeper. And you are right it was a religious thing. And he gave me a couple of complimentary tickets to see Ipswich at home in a preseason friendly where they paraded the Uefa Cup They had recently won.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #606 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2020, 18:39:40 »

Proper football ground
Bring them back . . oh hang on we have still got one
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #607 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2020, 18:41:22 »

Elm Park sounds so nice, but OMG it was a shitty ground. Everything was covered in corrugated iron - a bit like the old Shrivenham Road stand only worse.  I remember that they had the same sort of high regard for Swindon that we’ve got for Shitty.

I went mid 70's we got beat 4-0 ans it pis*ed down all throughout the game so it was really miserable. Reading are a strange one as they don't appear to have any rivals without us around poxford never mention them and after that I guess I think would have been Aldershot

So, give no fucks
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #608 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2020, 18:42:48 »

I went mid 70's we got beat 4-0 ans it pis*ed down all throughout the game so it was really miserable. Reading are a strange one as they don't appear to have any rivals without us around poxford never mention them and after that I guess I think would have been Aldershot

Yeah I went to that one on a Rimes coach.
Geoff the Ref

Ignore
« Reply #609 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2020, 18:43:24 »

Proper football ground
Bring them back . . oh hang on we have still got one
You want a proper football ground?  Piss off to Twerton Park in Bath, then.  On a cold day you can freeze your bollocks off in a World Heritage Site.  Now that’s class!
Geoff the Ref

Ignore
« Reply #610 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2020, 18:49:55 »

From my student days in Reading (more than a couple of years ago, I must admit), Reading’s main rivalries were with west London clubs.  Brentford we’re particular “favourites” I recall.  It is such a short train journey between Reading and Paddington that the boys could be creating mayhem in London inside half an hour.  Why bother travelling for longer to Pox or Swindon when you could very quickly get up close and personal with Fulham, Chelsea, etc?
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #611 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2020, 19:21:08 »

Yeah I went to that one on a Rimes coach.

Yes Rimes coach

* IMG_2411.JPG (215.29 KB, 1024x683 - viewed 97 times.)

So, give no fucks
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #612 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2020, 19:24:08 »

From my student days in Reading (more than a couple of years ago, I must admit), Reading’s main rivalries were with west London clubs.  Brentford we’re particular “favourites” I recall.  It is such a short train journey between Reading and Paddington that the boys could be creating mayhem in London inside half an hour.  Why bother travelling for longer to Pox or Swindon when you could very quickly get up close and personal with Fulham, Chelsea, etc?

I thought most of Readings young lads were Chelsea fans anyway😁

So, give no fucks
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #613 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2020, 19:27:40 »

You want a proper football ground?  Piss off to Twerton Park in Bath, then.  On a cold day you can freeze your bollocks off in a World Heritage Site.  Now that’s class!
I can remember when Stonehenge had a roof you cunt -70
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #614 on: Wednesday, September 2, 2020, 19:34:26 »

Not really that interested in div 1 but James Rodriguez to Everton?

Nothing to see here
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 ... 49   Go Up
Print
Jump to: