Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rugby World Cup  (Read 25674 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« on: Friday, September 18, 2015, 08:55:13 »

Probably not the most popular sport on here, but I love a bit of egg chasing.

The World Cup starts tonight with England vs Fiji and it's all on terrestrial TV (sadly this does mean ITV) which is nice to see.

New Zealand are obviously big favourites, but this could be one of the best tournaments for a while as England, Ireland, South Africa and Australia all look strong (as did Wales before they all got injured).

Anyone else watching or even going? (I've got tickets for SA v Samoa and Ireland v France- nothing involving England as I'm not made of money)
« Last Edit: Friday, September 18, 2015, 09:08:26 by Nemo » Logged
Islington Red

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, September 18, 2015, 09:02:37 »

Very excited about this, difficult to see anyone winning apart from the All Blacks. The podcast on the Guardian is worth a listen.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, September 18, 2015, 09:05:21 »

Very excited about this, difficult to see anyone winning apart from the All Blacks. The podcast on the Guardian is worth a listen.

Listening to that now actually, Andy Zaltzman is great. The Egg Chasers is another decent podcast.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 18, 2015, 09:07:53 »

We should win the pool, but it's anyone's guess after that.

The squad looks better than 2011. As long as we don't go out to a miserable defeat against the French again, I'll be happy.
EldeneRed

« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 18, 2015, 09:14:23 »

My father was always big on Rugby, I never got into it and chose Footy instead. Going to give some of the games a watch though and try to understand what's going on.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 18, 2015, 09:42:55 »

I might watch the odd game. Certainly won't spend the duration whinging that it's on television all the time.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, September 18, 2015, 10:05:19 »

I knew it was coming up but didn't know it was being played here until last week. Wife knows nothing about the game, but suggested we watch over the club tonight. Anything that involves beer is good with me. I wont know what's going on but should enjoy.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, September 18, 2015, 10:09:31 »

My father was always big on Rugby, I never got into it and chose Footy instead. Going to give some of the games a watch though and try to understand what's going on.

We played at school and I hated it, but now I sort of see the skill and the point and have many an argument with my northern relatives regarding what is better League or Union?
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, September 18, 2015, 10:14:16 »

Not really a fan of rugby but am actually quite looking forward to watching it.

Good excuse to get pissed up aswell
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 18, 2015, 10:20:26 »

Love a bit of rugby, my son has played for the last 10 years over which time I've got less interested in football and more in rugby.
England have shown they can beat anyone on their day, but I am still more nervous about playing Wales than anyone else.
If you thought world rankings were stupid in football, rugby is worse. How can you have 4 teams ranked in the top 10 in the world in the same pool of 5 ? Eng, Wales or Aus to miss out of the KO stages !
Got tickets for NZ v Argentina on Sunday, cant wait !
Beer festival on at Bassett rugby club this weekend, could get messy ! Pint
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, September 18, 2015, 14:27:20 »

I've been known to go to the odd game down the years....but can take it or leave it, sort of depends what's happening.

I played at schoolboy level....scrum half. It is essentially a simple game made obscure by picky rules, which tends to mean the average casual punter has little idea  what is going on, even though the ref is miked up.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, September 18, 2015, 15:55:31 »

We should win the pool, but it's anyone's guess after that.

The squad looks better than 2011. As long as we don't go out to a miserable defeat against the French again, I'll be happy.

Not sure we would be favourites to win the pool, Australia and Wales are good sides and Fuji are no mugs.

There is a chance we might not get out of the group at all.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, September 18, 2015, 15:57:08 »

I've never been able to latch on to a club side, despite having several friends in Swindon who are all big Bath supporters.  I've been with them to some games and it's a great day out in a great city, but I've never been able to watch the rugby itself from anything other than the standpoint of a neutral.  Seems the old adage that 'you don't choose your club, your club chooses you' has something in it.

International rugby is different though.  Love it.  For me, It's odd.  A complete reversal of the feelings I have for football...which is all about STFC.  The England bit, I can take or leave.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, September 18, 2015, 16:00:43 »

It always saddens me when I pass through Chippenham train station on a matchday and seeing all the rugby fans waiting for the train to Bath as the trickle of Town fans get on the other train.

Used to be quite different.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, September 18, 2015, 16:05:47 »

Funny that.  Bath rugby crowds are not a lot bigger than ours (ie <50% more).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: