Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trains  (Read 97850 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #225 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 17:50:58 »

That could be a village near my Nan's house in Buckinghamshire? Tiny place, no operational station as far as I know.

I know almost nothing about trains but do love the fact that, for a few years, the Metropolitan line terminated in Brill, Buckinghamshire - my Nan's village. The area where the station was is now a small industrial estate including Brill Beer Brewery.
Ludgershall is a small town near Salisbury that used to have an army railway line accessing it.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 18:45:40 »

That could be a village near my Nan's house in Buckinghamshire? Tiny place, no operational station as far as I know.

I know almost nothing about trains but do love the fact that, for a few years, the Metropolitan line terminated in Brill, Buckinghamshire - my Nan's village. The area where the station was is now a small industrial estate including Brill Beer Brewery.

Different Ludgershall.... it can be confusing when you get 2 of a seemingly unusual name.... a bit like Sparsholt.

Didn't know that about Brill, a nice place went there once to see the windmill....

Sometimes when lines end seemingly in the middle of nowhere, it's because they were meant to go somewhere else and a bigger company made sure they didn't.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 18:50:05 »

Ludgershall is a small town near Salisbury that used to have an army railway line accessing it.

Beautiful isn't it  Zipped
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Tuesday, March 10, 2020, 10:11:34 »

Good news for Reg and other Beeching detractors:

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/18293468.second-swindon-railway-station-discussed-council-network-rail/
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Tuesday, March 10, 2020, 10:25:44 »

I wouldn't hold your breath, having been involved in the creation of a new station on a line considerably quieter than the GWML, that cost nearly £7m eventually (against a budget of c.£3m) and took about 12 years to come to fruition after PP!

Plus any comparison with Exeter is bollocks, whilst it has 2 stations on the mainline both date from pre-1850.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Tuesday, March 10, 2020, 10:28:51 »

I got a nanosecond of excitement on seeing the headline.... it had gone on engaging with the article.

You'd have thought that with the plantation of dormitory estates for Oxford, out near South Marston, a reinstatement of Stratton Park Halt could be a winner...

As a kid I'd cycle out here... pretty much still in the country then and an adventure.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Tuesday, March 10, 2020, 10:38:23 »

I got a nanosecond of excitement on seeing the headline.... it had gone on engaging with the article.

You'd have thought that with the plantation of dormitory estates for Oxford, out near South Marston, a reinstatement of Stratton Park Halt could be a winner...

As a kid I'd cycle out here... pretty much still in the country then and an adventure.

Anything on the mainline is going to be problematical as its introducing something slow moving onto what has become a high speed trunk route, whilst modern stuff accelerates much better than it did in the days of steam, the overarching line speed was not 125mph then!

Don't know Swindon that well geographically, would something work on the Gloucester line, otherwise would the cash be better spent on something ala Metrolink? 
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Tuesday, March 10, 2020, 10:55:54 »

I know it will never happen just me being whimsical.... Tory SBC showed their true colours, when shifting the £5 mill they'd put aside for a possible new art gallery, into building a road for the Oxford dormitory town.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 17:53:16 »

Something for Reg....

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 18:10:45 »

Quote from: 4D
Something for Reg....

that was interesting.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 19:02:25 »

Something for Reg....

Aborted tunnel for the Midland and South West Junction Railway..... had to do a cutting instead, which is now Old Town Cycle Path.

The somewhat loose backfill meant that the Hunt St houses started to subside, maybe 30 years ago now, so a major project was undertaken to drain the hillside.... the path around Queen's Park only reopened a few years back
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 19:12:42 »

I'll stick my neck out and say Little Somerford. Fits your description of on the right hand side and still has a bit of platform left... found a photo from 2001 in a book, so prob still there.
Late coming to the party, if it was on the Parkway line my guess would be Badminton which does still have the platforms
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 19:16:16 »

That line is still there, rarely used but was in use to the army depot, it is actually the line that went theough Swindon Old Town and on down to Southampton - volunteers are restoring parts of it at Blunsdon, Taw Hill and trying to get as far as Cricklade in the opposite direction
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 22:17:26 »

Aborted tunnel for the Midland and South West Junction Railway..... had to do a cutting instead, which is now Old Town Cycle Path.

The somewhat loose backfill meant that the Hunt St houses started to subside, maybe 30 years ago now, so a major project was undertaken to drain the hillside.... the path around Queen's Park only reopened a few years back
So if the line had taken the direct route to the GWR, the County Ground might have had a railway line through it....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Thursday, July 9, 2020, 07:53:35 »

So if the line had taken the direct route to the GWR, the County Ground might have had a railway line through it....

Don't think so.... the proposed route ran more or less parallel to Princess St, having curved off the mainline nr the end of Gooch St. Would then have run up roughly where Northampton St is today.... Queen's Park wasn't there.

Could have had a halt style platform for the CG much nearer.... roughly somewhere in Broad St.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: