Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trains  (Read 97849 times)
Hexagon

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Saturday, November 8, 2014, 01:42:32 »

Swindon B is already in Didcot.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Saturday, November 8, 2014, 02:32:46 »

Did a6 have his hair done by Brian Chartz ?
Smiley  :gay:
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Monday, December 8, 2014, 09:52:29 »

This thread should really be in the Nev General....but waffling about Kemble, found this.

http://www.urban75.org/railway/kemble-railway-station-gwr.html

Nice pics, but the real gem is a bit of film right at the end....definitely worth a look... Smiley
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Monday, December 8, 2014, 09:59:37 »

can anyone recommend a good photobook on the Swindon works, or the steam locos that were built there...or even one about the steam museum?

A Christmas present for somebody whose English is not good, so a photobook with lots of nice glossy photos would be ideal  Smiley

I come from a land down-under
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #79 on: Monday, December 8, 2014, 15:51:13 »

Moved to NevilleW General.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Monday, December 8, 2014, 16:28:32 »

This thread should really be in the Nev General....but waffling about Kemble, found this.

http://www.urban75.org/railway/kemble-railway-station-gwr.html

Nice pics, but the real gem is a bit of film right at the end....definitely worth a look... Smiley
Super bit of film, well found Reg!!  When I left school I Had to go to Gloucester to art college, catching a train at Minety!!  When that closed I had to travel to Kemble to go on to Glaawwster.  Did you know that at one time there used to be a news and sweet kiosk on the up platform at Kemble? Used to be run by a family called Bayliss as I remember!
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Monday, December 8, 2014, 16:32:58 »

Has anyone been on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway? Taking Steam Engines a few times as a kid from Pickering to Goathland (where Heartbeat is filmed). Well worth a trip for any steam engine fanatics: http://www.nymr.co.uk/

#VivaKenBarlow!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #82 on: Monday, December 8, 2014, 16:45:24 »

The NYMR is well worth a visit and not too expensive, a good way to spend a few hours.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Monday, December 8, 2014, 16:56:57 »

Has anyone been on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway? Taking Steam Engines a few times as a kid from Pickering to Goathland (where Heartbeat is filmed). Well worth a trip for any steam engine fanatics: http://www.nymr.co.uk/

Yep I've been on that....I'm very much a GWR (Swindon BR) man though, so don't get fully excited by norvern locos, albeit they're better than Southern railway cack.

Camped more or less in Goathland....didn't know about Heartbeat at the time, a lovely little place...probably ruined by too many tourists now.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Monday, December 8, 2014, 17:03:03 »

Super bit of film, well found Reg!!  When I left school I Had to go to Gloucester to art college, catching a train at Minety!!  When that closed I had to travel to Kemble to go on to Glaawwster.  Did you know that at one time there used to be a news and sweet kiosk on the up platform at Kemble? Used to be run by a family called Bayliss as I remember!

Minety and Ashton Keynes.....shame it's gone like Bayliss's.

There used to be a station at Purton as well, given the way that Swindon has expanded to more or less swallow Purton, you'd think there'd be a good case for re-opening a Purton station.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #85 on: Monday, December 8, 2014, 17:14:58 »

Yep I've been on that....I'm very much a GWR (Swindon BR) man though, so don't get fully excited by norvern locos, albeit they're better than Southern railway cack.

Camped more or less in Goathland....didn't know about Heartbeat at the time, a lovely little place...probably ruined by too many tourists now.
I too prefer GWR but it is still a nice line.

One very interesting place not far from Goathland is the Fylingdales listening station, which is a massive struture just off the main A171, never seen anything like it anywhere, almost alien like in its structure.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Monday, December 8, 2014, 17:20:44 »

I'll see your Fylingdales and raise you a Menwith Hill

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #87 on: Monday, December 8, 2014, 18:28:59 »

I saw a steam train in Lincoln on Saturday. A bit of it anyway. 

Cool story eh.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Monday, December 8, 2014, 19:40:54 »

Minety and Ashton Keynes.....shame it's gone like Bayliss's.

There used to be a station at Purton as well, given the way that Swindon has expanded to more or less swallow Purton, you'd think there'd be a good case for re-opening a Purton station.
Some years ago I was doing some contract work for Purton parish council and was talking to the parish clerk and we were discussing that - he told me that they had been approached previously to see if they would be interested in discussing re-opening but the councillors decided against it!!  Just up from Minety we had the delightful Oaksey Halt - nothing more than two platforms with a shelter - passengers from Oaksey had to get off the train at Minety or Kemble to purchase their tickets!  The area of the old station has been used to store materials when the line was re-doubled earlier this year.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Monday, December 8, 2014, 19:48:36 »

Some years ago I was doing some contract work for Purton parish council and was talking to the parish clerk and we were discussing that - he told me that they had been approached previously to see if they would be interested in discussing re-opening but the councillors decided against it!!  Just up from Minety we had the delightful Oaksey Halt - nothing more than two platforms with a shelter - passengers from Oaksey had to get off the train at Minety or Kemble to purchase their tickets!  The area of the old station has been used to store materials when the line was re-doubled earlier this year.

Wootton Bassett could re-open also....and then Stratton Park Halt, for the proposed eastern expansion. It's a real shame that our lost lines, weren't incorporated into some sort of tram type system, to cater for Swindon's expansion.....the present road structure isn't going to be sustainable in the long term.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: