Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: World Cup Day 8  (Read 34993 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Friday, June 20, 2014, 06:02:08 »

Ah, you bunch of negative twats. Italy will storm past Costa Coffee and Uruguay, we'll smack Costa and whatever other goal differency bits or whatever we need. The unlikely salvation will galvanise the team, and Roy who will undergo a transformation not seen since the video of Rik Mayall's posthumous "For England and King Harry" smash hit, and thus energised we'll smash past a surprised Brazil in the quarters, then experience such a tumescent surge of self-belief we'll go on to win the thing. And tonight will go down in history as a "Ha ha do you remember when we thought we were out and how miserable everyone was?" moment.

You read it here first. And probably the only time you'll read it too Smiley

#Believe. #ROAAAAAAARRRRR. #UnlikelyBollocks

You missed #inittogether
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Friday, June 20, 2014, 06:23:36 »

To be fair I've been waiting years to see England play like Spain.
Cheesy
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Friday, June 20, 2014, 06:25:38 »

Ah, you bunch of negative twats. Italy will storm past Costa Coffee and Uruguay, we'll smack Costa and whatever other goal differency bits or whatever we need. The unlikely salvation will galvanise the team, and Roy who will undergo a transformation not seen since the video of Rik Mayall's posthumous "For England and King Harry" smash hit, and thus energised we'll smash past a surprised Brazil in the quarters, then experience such a tumescent surge of self-belief we'll go on to win the thing. And tonight will go down in history as a "Ha ha do you remember when we thought we were out and how miserable everyone was?" moment.

You read it here first. And probably the only time you'll read it too Smiley

#Believe. #ROAAAAAAARRRRR. #UnlikelyBollocks

A good word....should be used more often.  If anybody asks "can you say a good word about England's display," then there's one.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #48 on: Friday, June 20, 2014, 06:34:00 »

The team were dubbed probably the worst England team in decades. They went out with a point to prove,  now there is no doubt.

Unfortunately there is no tactical master plan for countering not being good enough. Especially when you meet good teams.

Thought we did very well against Italy and were a bit unlucky. Yesterday I thought we reverted to bring too predictable and not being creative enough.
sonicyouth

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #49 on: Friday, June 20, 2014, 06:44:15 »

All the positivity and optimism after the Italy defeat quickly disappeared last night as we looked so average.

Rooney was more effective than against Italy but missed two good chances before scoring. I don't agree with the criticism Rooney receives but we will never win these kinds of games unless we have a top striker.

Did we even have a central midfield last night? Utterly ineffective and Gerrard fails to offer anything at all for England.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Friday, June 20, 2014, 06:52:44 »

I was more excited about the launch of our new kit than the England game.
london_red

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #51 on: Friday, June 20, 2014, 07:45:53 »

Unfortunately there is no tactical master plan for countering not being good enough. Especially when you meet good teams.

Nail on the head for me. Think Roy's been fairly creative and positive in his setup and selections, we just patently lacked quality in key areas.
kerry red

« Reply #52 on: Friday, June 20, 2014, 08:07:44 »

we ended up in the Liverpool-Chelsea scenario last night.

when we equalised a point would probably been good enough to get through, but our national gung ho temperament, admirable as it is, meant we lost a goal while searching for the winner

difficult to know where we go from here. Personally, I'd throw the youngsters in, keep them  in and let the public realise that although results may not be what we want, it will at least give us a chance in the future - even if this means not qualifying for the next Euro Championships
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #53 on: Friday, June 20, 2014, 08:33:23 »

I don't think a point would have been good enough. We had to go for it.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Friday, June 20, 2014, 08:42:08 »

Didn't England lose their first two under Mike Bassett and still reached the semi-finals?
nigel grays a postie

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Friday, June 20, 2014, 08:49:37 »

i don't think we lost a goal searching for a winner. It came from a goal kick for christ sake. When we saw that Smalling and phil Jones were our best reserve pairing at centre back then we knew we were in trouble defensively. Gerrard has been great but surely now had his day. Yet another 4 years down the swaneee. Big ask for Sterling to perform again twice in 5 days. he put himself about ok against Uruguayan hatchet men but like Wellbeck no real end product

Rogers, Mayes, Shearer, Fjortoft, Cox, Austin, Ritchie. Seen em all flogged off on the cheap
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Friday, June 20, 2014, 08:50:26 »

Back to reality after the Italian game......pretty poor performance. Team looked extremely tense in the first half.....after many years of emotional input at World Cups / Euros the hope still remains otherwise there is no point in watching but acceptance that England national team is not good enough to be a serious contender and probably will never be...don`t really enjoy watching us play. Will watch the remained of the WC and will support Italy as I work for an Italian company.

Vieni Italia il mio vecchio amico

Bathtime
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Friday, June 20, 2014, 09:14:21 »

we ended up in the Liverpool-Chelsea scenario last night.

when we equalised a point would probably been good enough to get through, but our national gung ho temperament, admirable as it is, meant we lost a goal while searching for the winner

difficult to know where we go from here. Personally, I'd throw the youngsters in, keep them  in and let the public realise that although results may not be what we want, it will at least give us a chance in the future - even if this means not qualifying for the next Euro Championships

Aren't the next Euros extended to 32 teams or something? If we can't qualify for that there is something seriously amiss!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #58 on: Friday, June 20, 2014, 09:16:46 »

Didn't England lose their first two under Mike Bassett and still reached the semi-finals?
Yes but we had Kevin Tonkinson & Rufus Smalls and we played 4-4-fucking-2, not gonna happen this time.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Friday, June 20, 2014, 11:21:21 »

Tactically we were better against the Italians. Playing a 4-2-3-1 suited us against their system as Sterling had acres of space.

Uruguay got it spot on. Their midfield hassled and harried and never allowed Sterling or Rooney time on the ball. When we exploited the space out wide, Baines got a few crosses in but Johnson frustrated mostly as he kept cutting infield instead of looking for the outside. When he did finally beat a man and put a cross in, we scored.

I don't think there was all that much difference between the two teams, except of the brilliance of Suarez. He only needs a sniff of a chance and he's in.

I'd change it up completely against Costa Rica. Get rid of the two defensive midfielders, Wilshire in the middle with Barkley, Lallana and Sterling wide, Rooney playing off Sturidge up front and play for the win.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: