Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beer  (Read 158923 times)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Monday, January 25, 2016, 18:50:22 »

Tried golden threading the sir Dan last home game.
Thought KT would be shitasit took a minute to clear but very good

Clems Army!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Monday, January 25, 2016, 19:18:15 »

Bristol Beer Factory's Southville Hop is one of the greatest beers of all time for me, along with Thornbridge's Jaipur.

Anyone got a good beer pub crawl in Swindon?  I presume that you'd start at the GluePot and work your way up to The Steam Railway, but then you're missing out Wroughton, RWB and Cricklade's pubs which seems a shame.  Still, would expect 8 good pubs on that route?

edit - GluePot > Sir Daniel Arms ? > The Beehive >The Roaring Donkey > The Hop Inn > The Plough > The Royal Oak (not been since it was re-done) > The Wheatsheaf > The Steam Railway

The classic Old Town crawl, used to start at the George, into the Welly, through to the Hive, up to the Globe, along to the Castle and Prince of Wales, then Vic, around to Donkey, on to Fountain, Plough, Oak, Wheaty, Steam.

Of course 3 of those are no longer open, but the addition of the Hop makes it in effect 2. You could drag in the Clifton as an outlier.

Problem is, the beer in some them isn't necessarily going to be all that, for example the Vic, I go in there fairly regularly but don't risk the ale.

Pint in each, and you should be ready to finish for a bit of karaoke in the Star Bar  Smiley
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2016, 00:19:53 »

done that once Reg (with Wood St thrown in as well); the milkman woke me up as I had passed out across the threshold, door open and key in door (yes, it was 1990, we still had milkmen)
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2016, 09:14:33 »

The classic Old Town crawl, used to start at the George, into the Welly, through to the Hive, up to the Globe, along to the Castle and Prince of Wales, then Vic, around to Donkey, on to Fountain, Plough, Oak, Wheaty, Steam.

Of course 3 of those are no longer open, but the addition of the Hop makes it in effect 2. You could drag in the Clifton as an outlier.

Problem is, the beer in some them isn't necessarily going to be all that, for example the Vic, I go in there fairly regularly but don't risk the ale.

Pint in each, and you should be ready to finish for a bit of karaoke in the Star Bar  Smiley
There used to be a great crawl a few years ago:

Glue Pot
Cricketers
Bakers Arms Closed
Rolleston
Duke Of Edinburgh Closed
George Closed
Beehive
Castle
Prince Of Wales Closed
Then perhaps Roaring Donkey, to be honest I was usually dead by the Prince of Wales after a couple of beers in each.
A group of us still do this route 2-3 times a year.

Such a shame so many of these pubs have closed.

Flashheart

« Reply #259 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2016, 09:17:40 »

I'm not a fan of pub crawls, I find it a right faff and a waste of valuable drinking time. I much prefer to find a good spot, plonk myself down with mates and get on with the serious business of relaxing, drinking and having the craic.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2016, 09:20:34 »

I'm not a fan of pub crawls, I find it a right faff and a waste of valuable drinking time. I much prefer to find a good spot, plonk myself down with mates and get on with the serious business of relaxing, drinking and having the craic.

I do that as well. I meet up with some old colleagues 2-3 times a year and we just sit in the ale part of the Steam Railway all evening. An enjoyable night.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2016, 19:51:13 »

There used to be a great crawl a few years ago:

Glue Pot
Cricketers
Bakers Arms Closed
Rolleston
Duke Of Edinburgh Closed
George Closed
Beehive
Castle
Prince Of Wales Closed
Then perhaps Roaring Donkey, to be honest I was usually dead by the Prince of Wales after a couple of beers in each.
A group of us still do this route 2-3 times a year.

Such a shame so many of these pubs have closed.

Must admit,i don"t venture  into Old Town very often and did"nt realise the POW had closed.
Are the Oddfellows and the Bell still open ?
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 26, 2016, 19:54:08 by Mother Brown » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2016, 20:01:54 »

Fuck me, the Oddy's closed about 40 odd years ago.  The Bell's been gone a while too.
Talk Talk

« Reply #263 on: Sunday, February 14, 2016, 23:21:50 »

Brewdog Punk IPA in bottles.

Viscious for a small 330ml

Beers
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Monday, February 15, 2016, 07:29:38 »

Beers

I tried this the other day!

Very good!

Roaming the land while you sleep..
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Monday, February 15, 2016, 08:31:14 »

Golden Glory is my fav. Don't often find it on draught though.

Badger Brewery do seasonal ales on draught so you need to be lucky when you go in as to what's on tap.
If it's a Badger pub they will sell bottled brew to supplement the casks, i can thoroughly recommend Poachers Choice, that's a nice wet! Pint
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Monday, February 15, 2016, 10:30:02 »

Beers

We went for a mini beer tour at one of their pubs on Battersea Rise. Very good beers all round and the tour was quite interesting as well. I am starting to get into IPAs more now on the back of it.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Monday, February 15, 2016, 10:32:08 »

Beers

You can even get this in Paris. I indulge occasionally and heartily agree. A nearby supermarket also does Pride, so now that Swindon are a bit crap, most of my reasons for coming across to the UK are void.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Monday, February 15, 2016, 11:58:22 »

Beers

I've just discovered this stuff. Beautiful!
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Monday, February 15, 2016, 12:16:53 »

On the subject of Beer (and Cider) Its the Red Lion's (Cricklade) Winter Beer Festival comming up in a couple of weeks.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 39   Go Up
Print
Jump to: