Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beer  (Read 158926 times)
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Friday, January 2, 2015, 18:34:10 »

I've had a few nights on Tunnel over December and not once woke up feeling rough. Tastes nice too boot, so it's a goer for me! Just hope it stays on tap up the local.
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Friday, January 2, 2015, 18:35:55 »

I have had several goes on the Box Steam Brewery beers and have never liked it too much - find it a bit overhopped and oily.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Friday, January 2, 2015, 18:37:28 »

Not sure if this beer has been mentioned but has anyone tried Frankiskaner weissbier? Absolutely lovely beer and no hangover in the morning! First discovered this beer on holiday in Italy, and now 3 bottles for a fiver in Tescos at the moment.

Another recent discovery for me is Tunnel Vision from Box Steam Brewery in Holt, another nice tasting beer with no hangover.

Frankiskaner (or frank skinner as our darts team hilariously called it) was a regular drink of mine in Luxembourg, that and erdinger. If you like weissbeers the. You'll love both.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Friday, January 2, 2015, 18:39:56 »

Really like the Funnel Blower of theirs - a vanilla flavoured stout.

I think Hillside of Gloucester are one of the most interesting of the very new boys. Their porter is one of the best I've had.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Friday, January 2, 2015, 18:45:13 »

Why can't anyone ever refer to ale as ale. Why always Real Ale?

Fair point.  Must relate to CAMRA (the Campaign for Real Ale), which tried to promote real (ie cask matured) ale over lager and the keg-brewed abominations of the 1960s & 1970s.  Also, asking at the bar for an 'ale' can make you can sound like a toff wanker called Henry who wears pink polo shirts with the collar turned up.

I prefer 'beer'.  While the term includes all styles, incl lager, I would never use it that way.  Beer and lager are two different drinks to me.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Friday, January 2, 2015, 18:46:24 »

I like hoppy golden ales.

Skinners Cornish Knocker is my favourite.

Spitfire out the shops.

Clems Army!
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Friday, January 2, 2015, 18:48:10 »

I'm off for a country pub lunch down in Sussex on Sunday, any decent beers down there?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Friday, January 2, 2015, 18:51:27 »

I'm off for a country pub lunch down in Sussex on Sunday, any decent beers down there?

I'd go looking for this.  They usually keep it in the Market Porter at London Bridge.

wiggy

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Friday, January 2, 2015, 18:54:11 »

Just about anything by Dark Star.

Harveys are also good (in a Wadworths kind of way), but Sussex has loads of little breweries.

Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Friday, January 2, 2015, 19:04:00 »

Ah yes I think my dad has told me Harvey's is decent.

Cheers chaps.

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #205 on: Friday, January 2, 2015, 19:14:15 »

Fair point.  Must relate to CAMRA (the Campaign for Real Ale), which tried to promote real (ie cask matured) ale over lager and the keg-brewed abominations of the 1960s & 1970s.  Also, asking at the bar for an 'ale' can make you can sound like a toff wanker called Henry who wears pink polo shirts with the collar turned up.

I prefer 'beer'.  While the term includes all styles, incl lager, I would never use it that way.  Beer and lager are two different drinks to me.

You wouldn't ask for "an ale" though would you? You'd ask for the ale that you wanted.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Friday, January 2, 2015, 19:26:17 »

But you do ask what ales a pub may have on, if their pumps aren't near you.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Friday, January 2, 2015, 20:18:40 »

The 'ale' thing is actually an important point that needs addressing.  CAMRA have done some amazing work since the 1990s and have raised the profile of good beer no end, as well as promoting the independent breweries that have thrived since then.  The crap that people had to drink/endure up to the 1980s was (so I hear) awful.

But with the advent of craft beer which, in many cases, is very drinkable and keg-brewed...it blows a hole in the keg=crap vs cask=good argument that CAMRA have been campaigning on.  CAMRA is going to need to adapt its message.  In a few years from now, I think the variety and quality of beers will be even better than it is now, but 'real ale' is going to be a redundant term.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Saturday, January 3, 2015, 08:36:43 »

I'd go looking for this.  They usually keep it in the Market Porter at London Bridge.

I remember sinking several of those in The Lord Nelson (I think) in Brighton prior to jumping on a train down to Hove to see the Town at the old Goldstone Ground. That was over 20 years ago and I remember the Harveys like it was yesterday - must have been good.
Pint
wiggy

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Thursday, January 15, 2015, 22:13:50 »

There is going to be a Winter Beer festival in Devizes on 13th Feb in the Corn Exchange in the Market Place.

It will be organised by the people who do the carnival and the Street Festival, so will have various bits of entertainment as well as the beer.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 39   Go Up
Print
Jump to: