Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beer  (Read 159013 times)
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Tuesday, December 9, 2014, 14:38:29 »

I usually stick to ales, but Arkells do a 'craft lager' in the Running Horse, which is actually quite good. It's got nothing on Camden Hells lager, but it's nice.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Tuesday, December 9, 2014, 20:01:52 »

St. Austell's (makers of Tribute) are the best 'big' brewery in Cornwall, mostly because they're still a family run business as opposed to being bought out by Corrs a few years back like Doom was. Also Doom is in Rock, and I passionately despise everything to do with Rawwwwwwk as the fucking yachties are spreading out from there like the plague and ruining North Cornwall.

I miss porters living in the west country. I used to regularly go into the Market Porter in Borough Market and there'd be upwards of four porters on all the time. Not as many last time I went though unfortunately, but the pub's still worth a visit as they have about 9 ales on all the time.

You win.  Wonderful pub in a brilliant part of London.  This made my top 5 on this thread from a few years back:

Your Five Favourite Pubs

After Gazza's doom & gloom earlier about the forecast demise of the British pub, I came up with the idea for this thread.  This could become the TEF's very own Good Pub Guide.  Just let us know the places you love, and why.

I'll set the ball rolling.

1.  The Prince of Wales, Rectory Road, Farnborough, Hampshire
This is my local.  CAMRA's Hampshire Pub of the Year for 3 of the last 5 years.  Tucked away on a quiet residential road, but just 2 mins walk from Farnborough North station - so always handy for a quick pint on the way home after a home game.  Excellent choice of real ales, welcoming atmosphere, friendly locals.  Pretty much my perfect pub.

The Prince of Wales

2.  The Market Porter, Stoney Street, Borough Market, London
My favourite pub in London.  You would have to go a long way to find a pub with a better selection of well kept beers than this place.  Nice looking pub in a great location on the edge of Borough Market, and a lovely spot to stand outside and enjoy a pint in summer.  Also a popular meeting place for away games at Charlton and Millwall.  I have many happy memories of this place over the last 15 years or so.

The Market Porter

3.  The Glue Pot, Emlyn Square, Swindon, Wiltshire
As with the Market Porter, this pub is inextricably linked with football for me.  A visit here is an essential part of any day out in Swindon at the football - and has been a firm favourite of many London Reds for some time.  It’s changed hands several times over years, but there has always been a great selection of beer served up in a relaxed atmosphere.  Doesn’t feel like a town centre pub at all.

The Glue Pot

4.  The Hobgoblin, Broad Street, Reading, Berkshire
This pub is a gem.  I discovered it only late last year.  Bizarre really, because it’s on one of the main shopping streets in the centre of Reading and opposite the Oracle shopping centre.  I must have walked past many times in recent years before stepping inside.  When you do go inside, it’s like a cavern.  Passageways, snugs and alcoves branching left and right.  And some great, well kept beers on tap.  If you’re ever in Reading, this freehouse is the perfect antidote to the sterility of the shopping centre across the road.

The Hobgoblin

5.  The Kings Arms, Roupell Street, Waterloo, London
This is a favourite after work meeting place for me and my friends before we catch our respective trains home from Waterloo.  It’s a five minute walk from the station - so close enough for a quick visit, but far enough away for most other people using the station to not know about it.  It’s on a strange street of terraced houses that look quite out of place in central London; they look as if they would be much more at home in Leeds or Sheffield.  While pub itself does not have as big a selection of beers as the other places on this list, the London Pride and Sharp’s Doombar are always in really good nick.  A back street local in the centre of London.  Just creeps in to my top five.

The Kings Arms

Hitchinred

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Tuesday, December 9, 2014, 22:39:39 »

The Kings Head in Roupell Street used to be one of my favourites until I sat drinking at the bar one night watching the Barman empty slops in to glasses to serve to unsuspecting customers. Thai food is decent in there.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Tuesday, December 9, 2014, 22:42:08 »

I usually stick to ales, but Arkells do a 'craft lager' in the Running Horse, which is actually quite good. It's got nothing on Camden Hells lager, but it's nice.

Their lager is my favourite, but there other beers are also nice.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
kerry red

« Reply #184 on: Thursday, December 11, 2014, 16:12:06 »

Just supping a bottle of Black IPA, brewed by Meantime in Greenwich.

Wow! What a cracking beer - and 5.7% too!
kerry red

« Reply #185 on: Thursday, December 11, 2014, 18:12:09 »

4 bottles later and it's still cracking!
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Thursday, December 11, 2014, 21:28:30 »

I'll probably get shot down for this but im a sucker for tequila flavor beer. 
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Friday, December 12, 2014, 01:06:24 »

I thought IPA was generally a light pale ale that was low in strength?  Why have a strong dark beer and call it IPA? I thought IPA stood for India Pale Ale and was shipped out to the British troops in India in the mid 19th century?  Reg? 
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Friday, December 12, 2014, 01:16:28 »

I thought IPA was generally a light pale ale that was low in strength?  Why have a strong dark beer and call it IPA? I thought IPA stood for India Pale Ale and was shipped out to the British troops in India in the mid 19th century?  Reg? 

Original IPA, was quite strong, because it carried on fermenting, when being shipped out to the colonies.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Friday, December 12, 2014, 10:06:30 »

Original IPA, was quite strong, because it carried on fermenting, when being shipped out to the colonies.

Sadly none of that is true.
http://zythophile.wordpress.com/2011/08/04/four-ipa-myths-that-need-to-be-stamped-out-for-ipaday/
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Friday, December 12, 2014, 11:21:50 »

Well, I think of a classic bottled IPA, as being something like Worthington White Shield.  Which is quite strong, was shipped to the colonies and carries on a secondary fermentation in the bottle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worthington%27s_White_Shield
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Friday, January 2, 2015, 16:43:12 »

Not sure if this beer has been mentioned but has anyone tried Frankiskaner weissbier? Absolutely lovely beer and no hangover in the morning! First discovered this beer on holiday in Italy, and now 3 bottles for a fiver in Tescos at the moment.

Another recent discovery for me is Tunnel Vision from Box Steam Brewery in Holt, another nice tasting beer with no hangover.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Friday, January 2, 2015, 17:21:43 »

I thought IPA was generally a light pale ale that was low in strength?  Why have a strong dark beer and call it IPA? I thought IPA stood for India Pale Ale and was shipped out to the British troops in India in the mid 19th century?  Reg?  

I think IPA started that way and, until a few years ago, was almost always light and heavily hopped.  Think summer beers, like Hop Back's Summer Lightening.  But in the last few years you have started to see a lot more variation in IPA styles.  The one thing they all have in common is they are all heavily hopped (which is great for a hop fan like me.)  But now IPAs can also be darker/heavier.  Doesn't have to be either/or.

I'm sure the (relatively recent) influence of craft beer techniques on real ale has played a part.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 2, 2015, 17:25:06 by Ardiles » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Friday, January 2, 2015, 17:27:51 »

Another recent discovery for me is Tunnel Vision from Box Steam Brewery in Holt, another nice tasting beer with no hangover.

Funny you should mention that....I sank a goodly number of those NYE, during a lengthy session, and wasn't too bad at all later in the day.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #194 on: Friday, January 2, 2015, 18:32:36 »

Why can't anyone ever refer to ale as ale. Why always Real Ale?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 39   Go Up
Print
Jump to: