Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beer  (Read 160693 times)
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Monday, December 8, 2014, 20:15:03 »

Is Doom Barr any good?

Not a bad pint.
Was drinking it on Friday night in The Steam Railway. Good selection of ales in there.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Monday, December 8, 2014, 20:45:15 »

Doom Bar is a pretty good ale. Although, in a toss up between Doom Bar and London Pride, I'd prefer a pint of London Pride.
kerry red

« Reply #167 on: Monday, December 8, 2014, 20:52:55 »

Just got back into ale after many lager years.

Forgot just how good some can be. Always used to love a pint of Young's Special on an away day to Lundun.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Monday, December 8, 2014, 20:57:30 »

Doom Bar is a pretty good ale. Although, in a toss up between Doom Bar and London Pride, I'd prefer a pint of London Pride.

Yup.

They had London Pride in the Steam Railway too, only realised after about 5 pints of Doombar then changed to London Pride. Had a few pints of something else too, can't remember what though.

TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Monday, December 8, 2014, 21:01:07 »

Doom Bar is a little sickly and London Pride has had its best years.
Try Tribute, a little commercial but better than both of the above.

Had a cracking beer in spoons in Swindon before the Fleetwood game, think it was Turkey Trauma a Bedfordshire ale. Fantastic.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Monday, December 8, 2014, 21:07:33 »

Thank you. It was Tribute; the ale I had that I couldn't remember Smiley
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Monday, December 8, 2014, 21:34:44 »

I just don't get the love for London Pride. Not having a go Samdy, loads of people love it. But for me Fullers and Arkells rank side by side in the not very good stakes.

We are all different...
(yes we are all different)
(I'm not).
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Monday, December 8, 2014, 23:17:59 »

I just don't get the love for London Pride. Not having a go Samdy, loads of people love it. But for me Fullers and Arkells rank side by side in the not very good stakes.

We are all different...
(yes we are all different)
(I'm not).

Fuller's London Porter is a favourite of mine. Local brewery to where my mum grew up too, which is nice (and irrelevant).

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Tuesday, December 9, 2014, 00:23:00 »

St. Austell's (makers of Tribute) are the best 'big' brewery in Cornwall, mostly because they're still a family run business as opposed to being bought out by Corrs a few years back like Doom was. Also Doom is in Rock, and I passionately despise everything to do with Rawwwwwwk as the fucking yachties are spreading out from there like the plague and ruining North Cornwall.

I miss porters living in the west country. I used to regularly go into the Market Porter in Borough Market and there'd be upwards of four porters on all the time. Not as many last time I went though unfortunately, but the pub's still worth a visit as they have about 9 ales on all the time.
manc_red

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Tuesday, December 9, 2014, 07:17:39 »

Fullers make some good beers to be fair. Bengal Lancer, a bottle conditioned IPA, and 1845, a stronger dark beer, again found mainly bottle conditioned, two of my favourites of their's.

Also their vintage ale is superb if you can find it.

I live in Cardiff now and really miss the beer 'scene' up north. There's an amazing amount of micros in and around Manchester making some fantastic and interesting beers. There's a couple of micros dotted around Cardiff but Brains overwhelmingly dominate the pubs, whose beer is boring and pretty average. In fact I'd even rate Arkells > Brains.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Tuesday, December 9, 2014, 12:13:19 »

Fullers make some good beers to be fair. Bengal Lancer, a bottle conditioned IPA, and 1845, a stronger dark beer, again found mainly bottle conditioned, two of my favourites of their's.

Also their vintage ale is superb if you can find it.

I live in Cardiff now and really miss the beer 'scene' up north. There's an amazing amount of micros in and around Manchester making some fantastic and interesting beers. There's a couple of micros dotted around Cardiff but Brains overwhelmingly dominate the pubs, whose beer is boring and pretty average. In fact I'd even rate Arkells > Brains.

Wales has always been a bit of a beer desert, aside from Brains and Feeling Foul, can't think of any others...is Feeling Foul even still going?

The Welsh never really got pubs, I suppose a combination of a small population and the influence of Methodism....clubs seem to be more their thing....was it Flash or Chalkies went in club in Newport, a few weeks back?  Weird place, a club for ex pupils of a particular school....very odd.
Talk Talk

« Reply #176 on: Tuesday, December 9, 2014, 12:25:27 »

Wales has always been a bit of a beer desert, aside from Brains and Feeling Foul, can't think of any others...

VoG (Vale of Glamorgan) is cracking stuff, brewed in Barry http://www.vogbrewery.co.uk/

Worth a spin, particularly their bottled beers and they seem to be available in a lot of corner shops and supermarkets around Cardiff
manc_red

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Tuesday, December 9, 2014, 13:23:31 »

Not heard of Feeling Foul Reg, so perhaps not.

Best Welsh brewer I've found so far is Otley. They do a superb black IPA called Oxymoron, well worth a try if you come across it.

« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 9, 2014, 15:11:22 by manc_red » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Tuesday, December 9, 2014, 13:38:46 »

Not heard of Feeling Foul Reg, so perhaps not.

Best brewer I've found so far is Otley. They do a superb black IPA called Oxymoron, well worth a try if you come across it.

Properly, it's Felinfoel...colloquially Feeling Foul.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Tuesday, December 9, 2014, 14:13:45 »

They have tribute, Deuchars and old peculiar in my local in battersea. I've recently converted to ale|beer from lager and all 3 are decent.

I quite like ye olde Cheshire cheese on Fleet Street which does a nice stout.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 39   Go Up
Print
Jump to: