Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Spartans  (Read 19297 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 10:51:54 »

7th Century? Fuck off. That was pre-history, even to the Greeks. By the time everyone else was flourishing in the 5th, the Spartans had regressed into a military state while everyone else had moved on. It's all about the 5th and 4th and you knows it. 7th Century, my arse

Clap We need more rows like this on the TEF. Which reminds me of another thread.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 10:55:08 »

Isn't that what you should do with thinly veiled insults though?  Appropriate them and claim them as your own.  It's all tongue in cheek and a bit of fun...and a little self deprecation is no bad thing.

Agreed. When did we stop singing the "Oi caaan't wroite" song? I miss it.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 10:59:20 »

Isn't that what you should do with thinly veiled insults though?  Appropriate them and claim them as your own.  It's all tongue in cheek and a bit of fun...and a little self deprecation is no bad thing.

This exactly. I think it would be more embarrassing to call ourselves Spartans, and sound like we're taking ourselves extremely seriously, in contradistinction to our position as a mid-table League 1 club in a slightly shit Wiltshire town, than Moonrakers, in which we recognise who we are, where we are, and are proud of it.
kerry red

« Reply #63 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 11:43:41 »

Why don't we just call ourselves the Tractor Boys Mark II and be done with it.

FWIW I'd rather we were called The Steam - which at least reflects our history as a town
SleafordRobin

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 12:36:31 »

I like the Spartans link.  Was going to name my house after our original name, opted for Cavendish House in the end as I'm from Park South & the missus from Park North, I do have a robin painted on the sign though!
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Sunday, November 24, 2013, 12:50:21 »

7th Century? Fuck off. That was pre-history, even to the Greeks. By the time everyone else was flourishing in the 5th, the Spartans had regressed into a military state while everyone else had moved on. It's all about the 5th and 4th and you knows it. 7th Century, my arse

Seeing as 'history' refers to the written record, Sparta must have been pretty advanced to have created highly artistic and culturally-enlightening poetry in a period you consider 'pre-history'. Without Spartan 'pre-history' the 'Greeks' of the 5th and 4th would be nothing more than goat-munching knuckle-draggers (pretty much like the guy who went on the pitch yesterday - certainly not Spartan behaviour).
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Sunday, November 24, 2013, 17:26:56 »

Surely any Moonraker association would only firm up the local yokel view.

Sorry, but I would prefer to get completely away from the kitsch, country bumpkin image
The Moonrakers legend is that Wiltshire smugglers deceived the Customs by pretending to be country bumpkins raking the moon's reflection when in fact they were hiding contraband in a pond. So outwardly we might be appear to bumpkins when in fact we are much shrewder
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Sunday, November 24, 2013, 17:33:14 »

Thank you, Oaksey Spartan.  (See what I did there?)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Monday, November 25, 2013, 10:22:57 »

The Moonrakers legend is that Wiltshire smugglers deceived the Customs by pretending to be country bumpkins raking the moon's reflection when in fact they were hiding contraband in a pond. So outwardly we might be appear to bumpkins when in fact we are much shrewder

Cheesy. Oops.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Monday, November 25, 2013, 11:23:17 »

Plus we're good at hiding stuff from the Revenue services.

Oh, wait...
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Monday, November 25, 2013, 14:00:41 »

it's all about cheese
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Monday, November 25, 2013, 19:55:03 »

Ah...the Moonraker legend.  So that is the reason for the TEF's fixation with cheese.

All makes sense.  It's taken me a few years to get it, but I'm there now.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Monday, November 25, 2013, 20:03:56 »

The best counties roll cheese down a hill.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Monday, November 25, 2013, 20:10:54 »

Talking of counties. Have only ever noticed Yorkshire clubs sing out theirs
YORKSHIRE YORKSHIRE and thats all of them, Leeds, Bradford, Sheffields etc

Never heard any other region do it
I Know we infrequently break out in a chorus of "west country "  even if its tenuous

Just an observation  Bye

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 10:53:26 »

Spartans?!?!?!! Fuck off!
Robins is fine so leave it alone
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: