Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Spartans  (Read 19294 times)
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 01:01:50 »

I would think it was shite apart from the fact that every football club in our vicinity seems to be called the robins.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 01:21:29 »

Sounds like  the fella in the Robin suit had best get down the Gym 

/
W56196272
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 01:40:07 »

Sounds like  the fella in the Robin suit had best get down the Gym 

Cheesy

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 08:36:03 »

It's odd that Jed has latched on to the Spartans tag.  It's a very tenuous link to the very early years of the club's history (1879-83), and doesn't have any resonance with the fans other than being a small footnote in the history books.

The Moonrakers, however, is a label that a lot of people clearly identify with.  The comedy mascot potential is there; it's unique.  I think Jed picked the wrong option there, sorry.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 08:36:21 »

According to Chester Starr (yes, the Chester Starr) “In reality we have more testimony to poetic activity at Sparta in the seventh century than for any other Greek state, including Athens,”
7th Century? Fuck off. That was pre-history, even to the Greeks. By the time everyone else was flourishing in the 5th, the Spartans had regressed into a military state while everyone else had moved on. It's all about the 5th and 4th and you knows it. 7th Century, my arse
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 08:42:53 »

It's odd that Jed has latched on to the Spartans tag.  It's a very tenuous link to the very early years of the club's history (1879-83), and doesn't have any resonance with the fans other than being a small footnote in the history books.

The Moonrakers, however, is a label that a lot of people clearly identify with.  The comedy mascot potential is there; it's unique.  I think Jed picked the wrong option there, sorry.

Yes Yes Yes
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #51 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 09:04:55 »

It's odd that Jed has latched on to the Spartans tag.  It's a very tenuous link to the very early years of the club's history (1879-83), and doesn't have any resonance with the fans other than being a small footnote in the history books.

The Moonrakers, however, is a label that a lot of people clearly identify with.  The comedy mascot potential is there; it's unique.  I think Jed picked the wrong option there, sorry.

For example, an earlier away-day line up:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swindonlocal/3884153442/in/photostream/  

Which one is Reg?  Cheesy

PS - Note the robin on the flag!
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 09:27:07 by Sir Pissalot » Logged
kerry red

« Reply #52 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 09:43:32 »

Surely any Moonraker association would only firm up the local yokel view.

Sorry, but I would prefer to get completely away from the kitsch, country bumpkin image
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 09:54:50 »

Sorry, but I would prefer to get completely away from the kitsch, country bumpkin image
So you're worried about what others will think? Fuck them.

It's All Good..............
adje

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 10:07:47 »

What, to Sparta?

Now if we played THIS after every goal.
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 10:11:21 by adje » Logged

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
PHIL!!!!
Our Resident Emo Kid

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 10:12:11 »

The only problem with being called The Moonrakers is that it sounds shit........ That would be awful... Spartans sounds pretty decent, though.

Bassett Bulldogs FC - http://bassettbulldogsfc.co.uk/
adje

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 10:23:13 »

It is the standards of civilized men not of beasts that must be kept in mind, for it is good men not beasts who are capable of real courage. Those like the Spartans who concentrate on the one and ignore the other in their education turn men into machines and in devoting themselves to one single aspect of city's life, end up making them inferior even in that.[87]

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 10:30:21 »

Isn't that what you should do with thinly veiled insults though?  Appropriate them and claim them as your own.  It's all tongue in cheek and a bit of fun...and a little self deprecation is no bad thing.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 10:31:16 »

Spartans vs Moonrakers
Optimus Prime vs Worzel Gummidge

I'd choose the latter.
kerry red

« Reply #59 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 10:44:12 »

Isn't that what you should do with thinly veiled insults though?  Appropriate them and claim them as your own.  It's all tongue in cheek and a bit of fun...and a little self deprecation is no bad thing.

So you would fancy turning up in Moonraker attire (with straw retained orally) - much as the Spurs fans like calling themselves Yids
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: