Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Spartans  (Read 19283 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 21:58:15 »

"Nip and tuck for Boobies"
"Boobies are a handful"
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 22:09:33 »

I don't mind 'Spartans' being used as an unofficial nickname but would only accept a complete name change if the club went completely tits-up and had to be 'reborn'.

No way were the Trojan (jonnies) > Greeks/Achaeans. Priam and his numpties couldn't even recognise the old wooden horse trick.

Unfortunately, the Achaean League got the better of the Spartans too...
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 22:11:20 »

"Tits up!"
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 22:29:26 »

Unfortunately, the Achaean League got the better of the Spartans too...
Bah, the Spartans were uncultured authoritarian militaristic nut jobs (remind you of anyone?) who eventually got what was coming to them. Read your Thucydides. (Now there's a phrase you don't see on TEF every day)
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 22:32:12 »

I didnt know I had a thucydides.  Is it some sort of gland?

Never knowingly overstated.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 22:41:30 »

Bah, the Spartans were uncultured authoritarian militaristic nut jobs (remind you of anyone?) who eventually got what was coming to them. Read your Thucydides. (Now there's a phrase you don't see on TEF every day)

Thucydides was Athenian. That's just like saying 'read your Timmy Mallett' and expecting to get a ballanced view on Town v Pox matches.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 22:47:01 »

Blyth Spartans from the Evo-stick league, northern equivalent of Banburys league I think. Say no more.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 22:54:23 »

Blyth Spartans from the Evo-stick league, northern equivalent of Banburys league I think. Say no more.

Founded 1899. Newbies compared to Swindon's Spartan Club.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 23:00:31 »

Thucydides was Athenian. That's just like saying 'read your Timmy Mallett' and expecting to get a ballanced view on Town v Pox matches.
Well, it might be if there had been any Spartan historians. But if they'd had reed pens, they'd have just stabbed you with them anyway, so hardly surprising the Athenians wrote it all up.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 23:00:55 »

Most clubs nicknamed Spartans seem to be high school teams as someone mentioned earlier. Doesn't do it for me, think Jed must be on a wind up?
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 23:22:35 »

Well, it might be if there had been any Spartan historians. But if they'd had reed pens, they'd have just stabbed you with them anyway, so hardly surprising the Athenians wrote it all up.

According to Chester Starr (yes, the Chester Starr) “In reality we have more testimony to poetic activity at Sparta in the seventh century than for any other Greek state, including Athens,”

Stick that in your Athenian pipa kapnismatos!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 23:31:53 »

I think it could be apt, as most of our fans look like the dribbling hunchback that grassed up the 300.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, November 22, 2013, 23:45:44 »

Anything to get of Rockin' Robin! Nickname don't mind changing, but not a name change to 'Swindon Spartans', as someone earlier in the thread said 'fuck off'

#VivaKenBarlow!
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 00:21:42 »

I'm not averse to a change of nickname at all, but 'the Spartans', even with the heritage in place to justify it, has become appropriated in so many other contexts it would sound like a naff, American style rebranding exercise.

Moonrakers', though, is unique, geographically relevant, and doesn't take itself too seriously, in the way that Spartan's sounds like it might. I could definitely get behind that.

While I'm here, would also get behind a change in players coming out song to something more unique/ relevant to Swindon, as touted elsewhere, and euthanising 'Glad All Over' and the post-goal song altogether.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 00:26:53 »

Thinking on it, If we're ever going to change names we should swap the last bit with the other Swindon team, and get a flyover every goal.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: