Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BBC Wilts Phone In ....  (Read 58728 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 13:38:09 »

So we may have a first team coach, as opposed to a manager. Am I the only one who's not really bothered? If the football's attractive and reasonably successful I'm not that concerned who pulls the strings (as long as the puppeteer isn't from North London).

I personally think the manager should manage the team. In theory it's what he has studied and trained to do for however many years...and it some cases it's the job he has done for x amount of years.

On that note, do we know if Power has any coaching qualification?
STFCFORLIFE

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 13:40:02 »

I personally think the manager should manage the team. In theory it's what he has studied and trained to do for however many years...and it some cases it's the job he has done for x amount of years.

On that note, do we know if Power has any coaching qualification?

From looking online, he was on the board at Cambridge and when the manager was sacked he took over as manager for a while, before resigning from the board and leaving the club.

"He subsequently joined the board at Cambridge United and took over as chairman of the Conference National side in August 2006. In September 2006 he acted as caretaker manager following the dismissal of Cambridge manager Rob Newman and his assistant Tony Spearing.

On 22 January 2008, on the same night that Cambridge United beat Droylsdon 5–0, Power resigned as chairman of the club, citing personal differences with fellow board members as the chief reason. In April 2008, Power joined the board of Cambridge's Conference rivals Rushden and Diamonds."
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 13:41:53 by STFCFORLIFE » Logged
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 13:53:06 »

Just listened to the interview on iPlayer and got what I expected which was basically a belated PR exercise on what has already happened. Nothing really new and nothing that has not been already discussed at length on this forum which apart from some odd claims, has been pretty accurate in all that has transpired.

Still unsure about the Power influence, perhaps Thursdays information alluded to by Jed may throw some more light on his input, but it does appear on the face of it and Jed's comments, that he is quite heavily involved. Whether that is good or not and whether that imparts on the managerial position only time will tell.

Oh well, roll on Tuesday so I can see some football being played and forget about the off-field scenarios.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Flashheart

« Reply #228 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 13:53:53 »

So we may have a first team coach, as opposed to a manager. Am I the only one who's not really bothered?

Funny you should say that as I was just about to ask the same question.

I genuinely could not give a flying one.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 13:54:05 »

In most other team sports a coach is appointed to take charge of training, matches and generally just the on field activities.  Someone above that coach (general manager, sporting director, etc) is responsible for players recruitment.

I hope it doesn't but I can see this practice becoming even more common in football as the years go by.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 14:00:43 »

In most other team sports a coach is appointed to take charge of training, matches and generally just the on field activities.  Someone above that coach (general manager, sporting director, etc) is responsible for players recruitment.

I hope it doesn't but I can see this practice becoming even more common in football as the years go by.

But how many times has it been successful in English (or British) football?
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 14:13:17 »

Rarely, if ever.

I hope it doesn't become common but it does seem to be happening at the odd club here and there.  10 years ago I doubt it happened at all.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 14:39:00 »

But how many times has it been successful in English (or British) football?
Chelsea have all but run this way since Abromovich took over and Man City seem to be going this way as well.
Pretty much every foreign nation does it this way, if we should know anything based on the England teams efforts it is that we have fallen behind in terms of technical development.  The club game here is strong, held up by huge TV money which allows clubs to bypass local development and bring in the best that those foreign structures have developed.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #233 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 14:45:51 »

It could be argued that the board is setting our footballing ethos and then picking a candidate that is best suited to the way they want the game to be played, a la Swansea.

One of the positives of this approach is that you don't need to overhaul the squad every time you change manager and there is more continuity between incumbents.
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 15:14:27 »

I'm bothered, I'm sure many others are too, why would you want someone on the board possibly pulling all the strings and telling the manager what players to sign, what formation to play and who to play? the manager should be responsible for bringing HIS own players in, selecting HIS formation and tactics and playing HIS chosen team.

I can't say for definite that Power is doing all this, but it's my opinion that he is because it comes across that way and then Jed wonders why the fans haven't praised Power and he's only going to get people criticising him unless there's definite confirmation of his involvment which is what Thursdays statement might be about, however I wouldn't hold your breath.

I wouldn't put it past Tottenham having a big influence either but it's our club, I'd rather ditch the Spurs link completely then be told what to do at our club but again no one knows anything for certain, some of it is pure guess work and down to opinions.

A la PDC you mean? Maybe if it had been HIS club with HIS money at risk things would have turned out different. Not just PDC but nowadays any manager needs to operate according to club policy. If the owner(s) say it's ok to bring in and play whoever you want in whatever formation you like then fair enough. But if the owners have invested considerable sums of money they will probably want at least some say on how their investment is managed.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 15:20:12 »

A la PDC you mean? Maybe if it had been HIS club with HIS money at risk things would have turned out different.

Promotion, cup runs with 'giant' killings, Wembley, top 6 in league 1. I wouldn't want them to turn out differently.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 15:25:42 »

PDC didn't sign the cheques did he?
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 15:30:28 »

Promotion, cup runs with 'giant' killings, Wembley, top 6 in league 1. I wouldn't want them to turn out differently.

Maybe he wouldn't have had such a scatter gun approach to signings though.

Might be bollocks, but I'm sure I read somewhere that he had signed almost 70 players (including loans) in the time he was at Swindon, and as we have subsequently discovered quite a few of those on very big pay.

The fact that he ended up with a pretty good team, doesn't take away from the fact that we pissed away a lot of money doing it (even if that money was sanctioned by Jezza).
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 15:41:35 »

Yeah, I knew the point they were making really. I don't disagree with the point, but equally I had the most enjoyable 18 months of following Swindon I can remember. Actually Black financed a bit more than that with the league 1 playoff season too. Tantalisingly close to the promised land twice.

I'd not change it even though we are now in the shit again.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 15:46:11 »

Yeah, I knew the point they were making really. I don't disagree with the point, but equally I had the most enjoyable 18 months of following Swindon I can remember. Actually Black financed a bit more than that with the league 1 playoff season too. Tantalisingly close to the promised land twice.

I'd not change it even though we are now in the shit again.

I thought you were older than that, whilst it was great for me it wasn't close to the period between 1985-1993.   That all turned to shit in the end though as well Sad
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: