Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 60   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The 'Summer' of Cricket thread 2013  (Read 139900 times)
DMR

« Reply #255 on: Tuesday, July 2, 2013, 08:31:02 »

All Mills did was bowl quick.

He went round the park. 2 for hundreds.

You DO realise this is not that impressive right?
bobby barnes jink

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Tuesday, July 2, 2013, 08:41:38 »

All Mills did was bowl quick.

He went round the park. 2 for hundreds.

You DO realise this is not that impressive right?

Tymal Mills is all about potential. He's dirt quick but erratic. That said, he's only 20. Yet he has already gone past 90 mph and that's fast in anybody's language, and will potentially rough anyone up. He's one for the future, especially considering we don't produce that many proper express bowlers.

So I think the point is not how good his figures were but the fact he bowled a lot of short stuff to our lower middle order, hitting two of them, in a warm up game.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, July 2, 2013, 09:26:31 by bobby barnes jink » Logged
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Tuesday, July 2, 2013, 09:25:52 »

Shaun Tait springs to mind
bobby barnes jink

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Tuesday, July 2, 2013, 09:41:17 »

Shaun Tait springs to mind

Exactly.

And he ended up being one of the best death bowlers of recent times. Ironically, bowling full and straight.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Tuesday, July 2, 2013, 10:20:22 »

Mills has just hit Bell hard on the knees while batting- gotta raise a slight smile (although not for Bell, I imagine). Have we checked him for Australian ancestry?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Tuesday, July 2, 2013, 11:21:46 »

Swann back on, bowls Mills with his ninth ball- good news.

Bad news- the first 8 went for 19.
DMR

« Reply #261 on: Thursday, July 4, 2013, 12:06:38 »

Heard a little whisper that the reason Compton has been sacked off is because he and KP have their "differences"... anyone else heard this?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Thursday, July 4, 2013, 12:11:45 »

Heard a little whisper that the reason Compton has been sacked off is because he and KP have their "differences"... anyone else heard this?
We'll have to wait for the official line from Chang on this.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Thursday, July 4, 2013, 12:15:45 »

I heard they had a spat over who was more South African.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Thursday, July 4, 2013, 12:19:16 »

I'd have thought his terrible knock v NZ, had more to do with it. Reminded me of when Owais Shah played for England, the wrong sort of intensity...leading to an inability to find the middle of the bat. Trott has intensity but also calmness, and you need that almost zen like state.

Ramprakash was another...
bobby barnes jink

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Thursday, July 4, 2013, 12:40:38 »

Isn't it also because KP is back and Root is better than Compton? Someone's got to go.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Thursday, July 4, 2013, 13:07:03 »

Isn't it also because KP is back and Root is better than Compton? Someone's got to go.

Yes, Bairstow. The Root debate is a red herring, his position was never in doubt, the decision made was Bairstow against Compton.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Thursday, July 4, 2013, 13:11:28 »

Yes, Bairstow. The Root debate is a red herring, his position was never in doubt, the decision made was Bairstow against Compton.

Yes to an extent.  complicated a little by:

If Compton plays he has to open.  He couldnt bat in his style with the tail.
I think Bairstow has more long term potential and hasnt actually done to bad when he has played.  He got 2 50's v South Africa in the last year and I think got 2 50's in the last test at Headingley.  But he has been hamstrung by spending long periods as twelth man so missed out a lot for England and Yorkshire.
The one in that middle order who needs to find his bollocks is Bell.  Full of style and substance but no test hundred in over a year!  So he's bound to make a ton at Trent Bridge next week and sxecure his place for the next year.
bobby barnes jink

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Thursday, July 4, 2013, 13:19:43 »

I'd pick Bairstow over Compton every time. Clearly being primed for the gloves once Prior is gone, he has shown enough about him to warrant keeping his place. Compton's reaction in the press to being dropped was disappointing, he is now thirty and is not as useful in the field as the ginger Yorkshireman. Plus Compton was very poor against an ordinary New Zealand attack earlier in the Summer. He's also quite a limited batsman, definitely stoic but could easily be found out by a decent Aussie attack.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Thursday, July 4, 2013, 13:36:55 »

I agree Root is the long term pick to open but I do have a concern about him moving up so early. 

For all the stick the Aussies have taken the pace bowling is decent.  Pattinson, Siddle, Starc, Harris ..... I do expect them to run through England here and there. 
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 60   Go Up
Print
Jump to: