Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 60   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The 'Summer' of Cricket thread 2013  (Read 136451 times)
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, May 27, 2013, 19:35:28 »

Personally think we batted an hour too long and batted too slowly last night and today (Trott/Compton), just shows when Root/Bairstow came out they were prepared to sacrifice their wicket to get the score moving! Ah well, weather looks shocking tomorrow, but I think we'll need an hour tops to mop NZ up! Anyone notice Finn get noticeably more aggressive the over he got Brownlie out? As I think Sir Ian said at the time someone from the crowd must have told him the Watford score!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 14:39:56 »

Won by 247 runs in between showers and Anderson ties with Trueman on 307 test wickets.

We now have an extended ODI break before the Ashes, with a fair bit to ponder around that opening slot. I think we can't make a decision yet as:

1) The whole thing is immaterial if KP doesn't recover

2) Compton could get form back for Somerset, who play Australia in a tour match before the start of the Ashes.

Overall though, a good warm up series, Finn and Swann got wickets in this test and everyone but Bell has got a decent amount of runs. 9 spots in that first side are sewn up leaving two between Compton, Bairstow and KP's knee.

Anyone going to any of the Champions' Trophy?

TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 14:47:26 »

A good win and a 2-0 series victory as well! Anyone take my tip on Root and Taylor being top run scorers at 40/1? If so you'd have come out winners at 40/1!  Cheesy

Strange that Jimmy Anderson hasn't performed so well at Headingly, a ground which is renound for swing under cloud!

I have tickets for the semi final Nemo, also think I'll go to Eng v NZ at Cardiff if there are tickets available still!

#VivaKenBarlow!
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 10:39:44 »

ODI Series starts today; England currently batting and 45-1.

A couple of changes in squads for both teams before the Champions Trophy:

England's ODI & ICC Champions Trophy squad: Alastair Cook (capt), James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Jos Buttler (wk), Steven Finn, Eoin Morgan, Joe Root, Graeme Swann, James Tredwell, Jonathan Trott, Chris Woakes.

New Zealand's ODI, Twenty20 & ICC Champions Trophy squad: Brendon McCullum (capt), Trent Boult, Doug Bracewell, Grant Elliott, James Franklin, Martin Guptill, Mitchell McClenaghan, Nathan McCullum, Kyle Mills, Colin Munro, Luke Ronchi (wk), Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Daniel Vettori, Kane Williamson.

I can see England winning the series 2-1. England 2/5 to win today, NZ 7/4 (SkyBet). Brendon McCullum 11/4 to be top runscorer, with Ross Taylor at 7/2.

#VivaKenBarlow!
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 10:49:07 »

feel sorry for Vettori missing out again, always liked him as a player.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 12:03:06 »

Not sure they need him right now, they have England 120 odd for 5!

#VivaKenBarlow!
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 14:06:39 »

decent start, 1-2 after the first over
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 15:58:56 »

Not so good now, 127-1 since then! More interestingly Boyd Rankin has been called into the squad to cover for injuries...hope he gets a go, I seriously rate him and more importantly so do better judges like Marcus Trescothick. Can't be worse than Dernbach.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Friday, May 31, 2013, 18:14:48 »

Not so good now, 127-1 since then! More interestingly Boyd Rankin has been called into the squad to cover for injuries...hope he gets a go, I seriously rate him and more importantly so do better judges like Marcus Trescothick. Can't be worse than Dernbach.
No surprise Giles looking towards Warwickshire for a replacement.

Surely we have some English players that we can bring through?

What's happened to Onions? Is Tremlett still recovering? What about Stuart Meaker (Yes, I know he's a Saffer) or even Luke Wright?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Saturday, June 1, 2013, 12:16:32 »

No surprise Giles looking towards Warwickshire for a replacement.

Surely we have some English players that we can bring through?

What's happened to Onions? Is Tremlett still recovering? What about Stuart Meaker (Yes, I know he's a Saffer) or even Luke Wright?

Onions isn't seen as a one day bowler by the selectors, same for Tremlett who's out of form. Luke Wright is a batsman who bowls a bit, definitely not a guaranteed 10 over option.

Meaker was probably the other name in the frame but Rankin is a bit taller and bouncier, more of a like-for-like for Finn. Personally I think Rankin can fill the role Tremlett did in the last Ashes series of coming in and roughing up the Aussies a bit if any of the first three lose form- Bresnan/Onions/Meaker back up Anderson and Broad, while Tremlett/Rankin can fulfil the Finn role. Guess they just fancy taking a closer look at him.
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 1, 2013, 12:21:37 by Nemo » Logged
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Saturday, June 1, 2013, 21:16:14 »

Onions isn't seen as a one day bowler by the selectors, same for Tremlett who's out of form. Luke Wright is a batsman who bowls a bit, definitely not a guaranteed 10 over option.

Meaker was probably the other name in the frame but Rankin is a bit taller and bouncier, more of a like-for-like for Finn. Personally I think Rankin can fill the role Tremlett did in the last Ashes series of coming in and roughing up the Aussies a bit if any of the first three lose form- Bresnan/Onions/Meaker back up Anderson and Broad, while Tremlett/Rankin can fulfil the Finn role. Guess they just fancy taking a closer look at him.
Don't disagree with you at all.

Just feel a bit sorry for Onions. I would have thought someone who bowls wicket to wicket with a little swing and sideways movement should be good in all forms of cricket - Think Alderman or McGrath.

I know Wright isn't a proper international bowler, but, my thinking was, if you are going to have a bowler who gets 50+ runs knocked off of his spell, you might as well have one capable of scoring 50+ himself! (Woakes bowling has gone backwards - His batting has improved, but still isnt good enough to be considered an effective all rounder).

Dernbach hasn't impressed me for a couple of years. I think people have worked him out. I'm also a bit old fashioned and I don't like someone with those ridiculous tattoos representing our country.

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Saturday, June 1, 2013, 21:20:33 »

Dernbach hasn't impressed me for a couple of years. I think people have worked him out. I'm also a bit old fashioned and I don't like someone with those ridiculous tattoos representing our country.
and your dislike of KP suddenly becomes clear...
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Saturday, June 1, 2013, 21:48:02 »

If we're going to pick someone with ridiculous tattoos it should be Peter Trego
DMR

« Reply #58 on: Saturday, June 1, 2013, 22:46:01 »

Onions is a good bowler but please don't put him in the same bracket as Glen McGrath again
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Saturday, June 1, 2013, 23:15:22 »

Onions is a good bowler but please don't put him in the same bracket as Glen McGrath again
Apologies, but I meant to draw a comparison to the way they bowled - close to the stumps and wicket to wicket. Onions is not in the same class. Terry Alderman briefly was as he was totally unplayable for a year or two, but faded fast. McGrath was just annoyingly brilliant for what seemed like an eternity.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 60   Go Up
Print
Jump to: