Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 ... 144   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What's right with football?  (Read 622247 times)
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2016, 12:24:37 »

In all honesty, I can't remember specifically what our crimes were and why the punishment was supposed to reflect the crimes committed. I thought that a major part of if was that we were able to attract players to the club that might not have signed if everything was done legitimately. I see the breaking of FFP as a similar crime, in that competing clubs could argue that they were denied the same access to players because the guilty clubs used money they should not have been using in ways that they should not have been using it, if you get my drift. Any success that was achieved was therefore supported by underhand financial dealings and the consequences of the success (points accumulated / promotion) duly punished. Bournemouth's fine certainly does not punish the consequences of their lack of fair play.
We declared lower salaries for the players bought so that the transfer fees would be lower, and then topped the salaries up with illegal bonuses. I've got a letter from the Football League at home somewhere that details everything.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2016, 12:28:31 »

We declared lower salaries for the players bought so that the transfer fees would be lower, and then topped the salaries up with illegal bonuses. I've got a fag packet from the Football League at home somewhere that details everything.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2016, 12:45:00 »

We declared lower salaries for the players bought so that the transfer fees would be lower, and then topped the salaries up with illegal bonuses. I've got a letter from the Football League at home somewhere that details everything.
Cheers.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2016, 12:49:05 »

And Philippe Cuervo....and, yes, Bouazza is also playing for them now.

Looking at this http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Person.asp?PersonID=CUERVOPH I was shocked to read that he only started 16 games for us, on his day one of the most exciting players although the bleached hair was a low point!
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2016, 12:52:34 »

And Philippe Cuervo....and, yes, Bouazza is also playing for them now.

They also had Tony Cascarino (is a wanker, is a wanker) there for a while.

Red Star are my favourite club in France - when I lived in the "93" I used to go to watch them every week. Darras was playing for them at the time - they were in the 2nd division when I first started going but slid down the leagues before climbing back up again. They won't go up this season though - 4 points behind 3rd place with 2 games to go I think.

I saw them play last season (when they won the 3rd division title) away at Luçon where I have a house. Bouazza played.....we (wife + 3 kids) boosted the Red Star following to 18 if I recall correctly!  

Fred Darras sadly no longer with us. And who knows when or whether Red Star will get to play in St Ouen again.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2016, 13:41:01 »

I see the breaking of FFP as a similar crime, in that competing clubs could argue that they were denied the same access to players because the guilty clubs used money they should not have been using in ways that they should not have been using it, if you get my drift. Any success that was achieved was therefore supported by underhand financial dealings and the consequences of the success (points accumulated / promotion) duly punished. Bournemouth's fine certainly does not punish the consequences of their lack of fair play.
This could be one for Reg but it seems Top Tier clubs never face points deductions or similar but that lower tier clubs do

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2016, 14:15:22 »

It equated to something like £105,000 of undeclared wages or something like that, which in today's money may be a bit more I suppose.  It wasn't huge, by any measure, but we fiddled the transfer tribunal process that was in place back then as well as the tax man.  So both football clubs and HMRC got less than they would otherwise have received and we afforded players we might not have afforded.  Similar but seen as much more serious offence as it went against the spirit of the league - note that paying football debts in administration is still a requirement of membership to the league, the league takes a dim view of not giving money to other clubs when it is due.  The FA took the appeal and put us back one league.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2016, 14:25:02 »

2,600 safe standing spaces at Celtic next season

leftside

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2016, 20:57:28 »

2,600 safe standing spaces at Celtic next season

Fantastic. I hope it works out well for them and as a consequence causes a shift in other leagues.
horlock07

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #519 on: Sunday, May 8, 2016, 08:43:39 »

Hartlepool supporters all dressing up as Storm Troopers to travel to Plymouth yesterday.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #520 on: Sunday, May 8, 2016, 10:56:01 »

They do something like that every season don't they, sure I've seen pictures of hundreds of Smurf's watching a game.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #521 on: Sunday, May 8, 2016, 11:07:02 »

They've been doing it for about 10 years. Penguins and thunderbirds are 2 others I remember seeing. The best shot of the smurfs was them all on an escalator.
horlock07

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #522 on: Sunday, May 8, 2016, 11:27:55 »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/hartlepool-away-fans-don-amazing-7915793

They get some right bloody hikes on the last day of the season.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #523 on: Monday, May 9, 2016, 16:08:19 »

QPR have binned that hideous crest they introduced in 2008.

http://mobile.qpr.co.uk/news/article/new-qpr-crest-launched-3097024.aspx
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #524 on: Thursday, May 12, 2016, 15:48:19 »

Looks like Lingy is feeling well

http://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/football/leyton-orient/john_mackie_delighted_to_see_so_many_old_faces_at_leyton_orient_s_10th_anniversary_promotion_dinner_1_4529796
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 ... 144   Go Up
Print
Jump to: