Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 144   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What's right with football?  (Read 622344 times)
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2016, 14:06:26 »

Bournemouth's figures suggest that the fairytale view of the club as having achieved a place among the elite of English football on a shoe-string budget, within two seasons of being in League One, may be somewhat misleading. The accounts show that Bournemouth effectively - and successfully - gambled heavily on securing promotion to the Premier League.

It's a shame it's only now this is making the news and it's buried under all the Leicester stuff.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2016, 14:18:08 »

It's a shame it's only now this is making the news and it's buried under all the Leicester stuff.

And that the scale of their fine is no sort of disincentive to a club calculating the net benefits of cheating on FFP vs getting promotion.

What was stopping the FL imposing a far more punitive amount? I wonder if they were leant on by the EPL when setting up the rules for FFP...

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2016, 14:23:27 »

Cardiff are another example. The debt they took on before their inevitable promotion was ridiculous, but all paid back because they finished bottom. Magic.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
ahounsell

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2016, 14:37:32 »

Just done a quick calculation. For Bournemouth to have broken even without any subsidy from the owner they have would have needed to sell about 67,000 more season tickets
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2016, 19:04:00 »

And we were relegated a division for our financial rule breaking.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2016, 19:32:02 »

Yup, but this is now a litigation world , not a bend over and take it up the arse world of yesteryear.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2016, 19:32:05 »

Just done a quick calculation. For Bournemouth to have broken even without any subsidy from the owner they have would have needed to sell about 67,000 more season tickets
Quite possible with a fairytale like this....
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2016, 19:43:15 »

Yup, but this is now a litigation world , not a bend over and take it up the arse world of yesteryear.
Indeed. I wonder what would have happened if the club had managed to take the case to the High Court.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2016, 21:04:42 »

And we were relegated a division for our financial rule breaking.

To be fair, we did defraud clubs of money, albeit on a much smaller scale.  The problem in our time was the lack of a set of rules with clear punishment.  Whatever happened to QPR's mega fine?
horlock07

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #504 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2016, 06:54:39 »

The football club founded by Jules Rimet battles its way back - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36195987

Edit - When I posted that I was trying to think of the player link we had with the club, with greater thought it was Frédéric Darras.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 4, 2016, 08:20:56 by horlock07 » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2016, 09:29:00 »

The football club founded by Jules Rimet battles its way back - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36195987

Edit - When I posted that I was trying to think of the player link we had with the club, with greater thought it was Frédéric Darras.

Is that also Hameur Bouazza in the picture towards the bottom of the picture?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2016, 09:58:31 »

And hamdi razak iirc.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2016, 10:17:46 »

And hamdi razak iirc.

Yep (after a quick Wiki search).

Plenty of links there then....

leftside

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2016, 12:17:20 »

To be fair, we did defraud clubs of money, albeit on a much smaller scale.  The problem in our time was the lack of a set of rules with clear punishment.  Whatever happened to QPR's mega fine?
In all honesty, I can't remember specifically what our crimes were and why the punishment was supposed to reflect the crimes committed. I thought that a major part of if was that we were able to attract players to the club that might not have signed if everything was done legitimately. I see the breaking of FFP as a similar crime, in that competing clubs could argue that they were denied the same access to players because the guilty clubs used money they should not have been using in ways that they should not have been using it, if you get my drift. Any success that was achieved was therefore supported by underhand financial dealings and the consequences of the success (points accumulated / promotion) duly punished. Bournemouth's fine certainly does not punish the consequences of their lack of fair play.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2016, 12:21:20 »

And hamdi razak iirc.
And Philippe Cuervo....and, yes, Bouazza is also playing for them now.

They also had Tony Cascarino (is a wanker, is a wanker) there for a while.

Red Star are my favourite club in France - when I lived in the "93" I used to go to watch them every week. Darras was playing for them at the time - they were in the 2nd division when I first started going but slid down the leagues before climbing back up again. They won't go up this season though - 4 points behind 3rd place with 2 games to go I think.

I saw them play last season (when they won the 3rd division title) away at Luçon where I have a house. Bouazza played.....we (wife + 3 kids) boosted the Red Star following to 18 if I recall correctly!  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 144   Go Up
Print
Jump to: